300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet and Taser Cams for Cops

Why do I think that that officers that are for this are not street cops?

Also, it's not really a "Helmet" its more like a Headpiece like headphones.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2...cams-for-cops/

Helmet Cams for Cops

November 3, 2009 - 1:14 PM | by: Claudia Cowan

Police say dash-cams, taser cams and home videos, which make such good fodder for television news, only tell part of the story.

Starting in a few weeks, officers in San Jose, Calif., will become the first in the nation to field-test the Axon-- a miniature digital camera integrated into their uniforms -- to record events as they happen. Rank and file officers told us they're curious to see how the cameras work, but welcome a new hi-tech tool to help compile critical evidence, and protect them from false allegations of misconduct.

Right now, there are several such investigations underway in San Jose, including allegations of excessive force against a student arrested for assault. A rooommate’s cell phone video of the incident has caused controversy about the officer’s behavior, but union leaders say that video doesn't tell the whole story. Many officers told us they like the idea of having a complete, tamper-proof, video record that's admissible in court, so a jury can see first-hand what the officer said, saw, and did.

And if a cop uses excessive force, department heads will see that, too. The department is developing it's camera policy, but it's believed officers would be required to record any interactions that could be questioned later. The bottom line is this -- at a time when they seem to be videotaped by everyone else, police say it's about time they got their own cameras rolling, to shine some light on the truth.

I'll wear or use as many cameras as my department will provide.

If you're doing your job professionally and by the book, the cameras are only going to help you. I get more arrests and uses of force than most of my department and all would benefit me from being on film.

Comment

Claudia Cowan is HOT!!!

San Francisco, CA

Claudia Cowan has been the San Francisco-based correspondent for Fox News Channel for more than a decade, covering such diverse state issues as gay marriage, Sacramento's budget problems, and emerging technologies to help fight climate change. Claudia has spent much time in California's Central Valley, covering agriculture and water issues, as well as the Chandra Levy/Gary Condit scandal.

Comment

Victoria, BC cops have been using those helmet cams for months now. And other than a news report about it, there has been no controversy.

Comment

You don't need a helmet to implement the technology, and various agencies are trying out small wireless videocams.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

We don't even have in car cameras, I seriously doubt we see this before the Amish do.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Wow,

before you know it, well all be hooked up with cameras and the sergeants just stay in the station watching the cameras all day and writing us up for all the petty "general orders" we forgot to follow on every single incident we deal with.

Pretty scary future for law enforcement i would say

Comment

And for arec, following the book is like following a car you want to stop.

You may know all the rules, but if you get looked at long enough youll commit an infraction sooner or later and there you go......paper in your file

Comment

Were held to a higher standard and expected to be completely honest..........except were not trusted by the public or our own superiors.

Hard to work in an enviroment of distrust.

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post

Were held to a higher standard and expected to be completely honest..........except were not trusted by the public or our own superiors.

Hard to work in an enviroment of distrust.

I think it's an eventuality HEDP, and it wouldn't surprise me if someday you guys not only are wearing them but they're on all four corners of your patrol car.
                    I also believe that car manufactures are going to catch on to the usefulness of the "blackbox" in vehicles for lease vehicles, warranty issues and crash liabilities.
                    Lawsuits against the auto industry have to amount to billions, with a "B" in the course of a year and it would be one way for them to say that it's obviously not our fault for whatever reason the lawyers decide.
                    They're so cheap now I've even considered getting one for my truck, just in case of a crash or something, cameras are f'n everywhere!

Comment

First it will be the Police.. soon everyone else will follow.

Comment

I don't mind having cameras to backup my report. What I have a major problem with is the "if it's not on tape, it didn't happen" mentality that's overtaking the courts. Soon our sworn testimony and/or reports will be disregarded by juries if there's no video.
                        The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

This is a very very good thing. Other people are gonna have cameras on us, by having our own we can tell the WHOLE story instead of just the bits an pieces a 3rd party will pick up.

Cameras and recording devices have saved us (me included) way more times than they've caused us problems. I've personally had 2 complaints against me go completely away thanks to my mobilvision set. The mic pics up audio even when I was no where near my vehicle, I'd activate it anytime I had a potentially "adverse contact".

When offenders go to court or file a misconduct complaint they are putting on their best show (like they are just pure as the driven snow), there is NOTHING better than turning on a recording in open court or an administrative hearing showing the REAL (beligerant, ignorant, lying)complainant.

Yep, we need this, this is something that protects us.

And here's proof:

Article

As patrol car cameras became more common in 2004, the International Association of Chiefs of Police sponsored a study that found 93 percent of police-misconduct cases in which video is available result in the officer's exoneration.

Cameras also serve as a deterrent. Fifty-one percent of residents acknowledged that they would be more watchful of their own behavior if an officer warned them in advance that they were being recorded.
                          ~Gun control has always been about punishing the people that didn't shoot anyone.

Comment

I'm 100% for it. The only reason I don't currently have a camera on me is it's too expensive for me to buy myself (and my department won't get them...yet). My trusty tape player has saved my butt more than once, how much more could full video show the truth behind the he said/she said stuff?

Comment

Our dept got cameras years ago.At 1st Officers were sceptical, but we found that in 90% plus of the times it cleared/supported the Officers actions.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1907 users online. 122 members and 1785 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X