300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to talk about and not talk about at work

My brother in law is on a different PD, and he asked me if the guys on my job also got into p!ss!ng contests over nothing. I told him absolutely, it happens on all jobs all the time. Than he asked how do you say something just to be polite without getting into it. I recommended just limiting it to the weather, and sports (without sarcasm or an attitude about teams), and you should be okay for the most part. Don't ever talk about religion, money, material, politics, or any topics that are naturally controversial, and remember that the boss is always right on any subject even if you don't agree, because he will probably hold it against if you don't. I was guilty of getting sucked in most of the time, but the few times that I listened to my own advice the day did go smoother. Guys would fight about everything stupid like motor oil and auto waxes, whether a swimming pool filter is better with sand or DE, best talk radio hosts, aluminum baseball bats verses wood bats, and the quickest route to go somewhere. No guy is ever wrong on the route he takes even if it's 20 miles out of the way. If I could of just sat back and kept my mouth shut I could of been entertained all day, but nah I usually had to jump in.

Weather can be very controversial. Trust me.

Comment

Stay with the safe ones.
      Politics and Religion lol
      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by coach1299 View Post
        ..and remember that the boss is always right on any subject even if you don't agree, because he will probably hold it against if you don't.
        Or grow a pair

Comment

I always wondered why things seemed so contrary until I was diagnosed with a split personality; but, that is alright because we actually get along well with one-another!
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Depending upon where you work (and the officers/deputies with whom you work), do not get lulled into thinking you can speak candidly when you really should not. There are also those chaps who take a political, moral or other type of issue/disagreement and make it personal. Avoid doing that at all costs!

You will find that there are always some people who can freely speak their minds without catching any flak; but that standard doesn't apply to everyone. Just be mindful of this and you will be able to stay far enough from the stove so as to not get burned. Keep away from the gossip mill, too.

** Don't forget to set you clocks back one hour this morning! **

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by marcusindc View Post
              Or grow a pair
              Thanks for the tip tuff guy. I was trying to tell all the other tuff guys out there that arguing with the boss is generally a losing proposition, and the guys "with a pair" are probably not going to really get to show how big they are because they'll probably find themselves out on the least desirable post or assignment out of sight and mind from the rest of the guys. I know a lot of guys that had too big of a "a pair" that found themselves off the job without making it to retiremet, but thanks for your tip.

Comment

Originally posted by coach1299 View Post
                Thanks for the tip tuff guy.
                The little smiley thing at the end indicated that his "tip" was in jest. De-wad your panties.

If your coworkers are the kind who can get in a shouting match over motor oil, there probably isn't a safe topic. Some guys just like to argue and will play devil's advocate to whatever position you take.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Only talk about current events or what you did over the weekend.

Comment

Wow, nothing is sacred in the BS session before briefing. I haven't seen a real arguement yet. Must be some thin skinned people.

God forbid my co-workers find out something bothers you. The torment won't end till you get over it.
                    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Don't talk about what your partners wife was wearing the last night he was working.
                      Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                        The little smiley thing at the end indicated that his "tip" was in jest. De-wad your panties.

If your coworkers are the kind who can get in a shouting match over motor oil, there probably isn't a safe topic. Some guys just like to argue and will play devil's advocate to whatever position you take.
                        Okay thanks for updating me about the smiley thing. I wasn't aware of that and I appreciate it. I guess I got a little defensive becuse the guys I worked with did like to argue about everything, and the motor oil was one of the real reoccurring debates. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                          Stay with the safe ones.
                          Politics and Religion lol
                          X infinity

with my unit, it's anything Michael Jackson....they worship him....obviously child molestation doesn't count when you're a pop star

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
                            Or a Liberal.
                            most certainly. It's okay to Republican/conservative bash though....cough cough last halloween, pumpkin carving contests between units and one unit carved an obama pumpkin and with it's pumpkin guts underneath it, wrote somewhere...."mccain is melting under pressure"

Comment

I try and talk about anything racist or degrading to women...only in public though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4585 users online. 261 members and 4324 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X