Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD Essay Exam

Hi

I know the LAPD has a written exam in the hiring process. I also know it is an essay exam, not a multiple choice type. I have been looking for books that could provide some possible insight into the types of questions that are asked. Most books discuss a multiple choice which is the most common but none cover essay exams.

I have been to the local libraries and even looked at online book stores but none seem to cover essay exam questions. Can someone point me to the right direction, or if anyone who took the test remembers any of the questions I would appreciate the insight.

The essay exam is no big deal. You don't need to study for the exam at all. Really simple and straightforward. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by minderaser View Post
      Hi

I know the LAPD has a written exam in the hiring process. I also know it is an essay exam, not a multiple choice type. I have been looking for books that could provide some possible insight into the types of questions that are asked. Most books discuss a multiple choice which is the most common but none cover essay exams.

I have been to the local libraries and even looked at online book stores but none seem to cover essay exam questions. Can someone point me to the right direction, or if anyone who took the test remembers any of the questions I would appreciate the insight.
      If you have not been in academic environment for sometime, I would suggest refreshing yourself with a basic writing or a basic essay writing book that can be purchase at a book store. I wouldn't spend too much time or money into it, but definitely refresh your memory on basic writing structure. Most departments would like to see if you can communicate clearly.

Good Luck

Comment

I'm in the LAPD october academy class right now. THE PQE is not hard at all. 3 advice points you should take to heart. 1. answer the question, 2. write legibly, 3. keep punctuations/spelling/grammatical errors to a minimal and you're bound to pass.

Comment

Wow. That attitude will get you nowhere real fast. Lose it or find a different career path to take.

And to answer your question about insights here it is:
          1. There will be several questions.
          2. You must answer those questions.
          3. Your answer must be in essay format.
          4. Errors will likely be counted against you.
          5. Most people get caught up with the "essay format"
          6. There is no secret essay format.

Comment

Originally posted by lapd4me View Post
            Wow. That attitude will get you nowhere real fast. Lose it or find a different career path to take.

And to answer your question about insights here it is:
            1. There will be several questions.
            2. You must answer those questions.
            3. Your answer must be in essay format.
            4. Errors will likely be counted against you.
            5. Most people get caught up with the "essay format"
            6. There is no secret essay format.
            Thanks for the input. I know it is more than just one essay. Which is why I asked about possible questions < - - - check out the "s." I thought you could answer essays in single sentences and errors would be bonuses. Wait . . . there is a secret format??? I'll buy that book !!

Comment

Originally posted by nogginbuster24 View Post
              I'm in the LAPD october academy class right now. THE PQE is not hard at all. 3 advice points you should take to heart. 1. answer the question, 2. write legibly, 3. keep punctuations/spelling/grammatical errors to a minimal and you're bound to pass.
              Thank you Sir!

Comment

Having taken police essay type exams before, its not going to be a question that you cannot answer.

I took one for the Iowa state police and the question was unrelated to LE in general and was actually a personal question. They aren't looking solely at your answer but your grasp on grammar and the such.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                  I took one for the Iowa state police and the question was unrelated to LE in general and was actually a personal question.
                  FYI Iowa doesn't have a state police. We have a State Department of Public Safety ie (State Patrol, DCI, DEA) etc but not a state police.. . .. . .

And be glad you didn't get hired. They are laying off 20 Troopers and 20 DCI agents as well as most of the civilian staff.
                  My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by nogginbuster24 View Post
                    3. keep punctuations/spelling/grammatical errors to a minimal and you're bound to pass.

*Minimum

sry I had to

Comment

Originally posted by VChopefull View Post
                      *Minimum

sry I had to
                      Thank you sir.

Comment

Originally posted by VChopefull View Post
                        *Minimum

sry I had to
                        "SORRY"

And, sorry, I too had to!
                        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
                          Actually, it should be: "I, too, had to!"
                          Yup! Did it to see who was paying attention. Happy to see there are others who have an awareness!
                          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                            "SORRY"

And, sorry, I too had to!
                            Thank YOU sir!

quite the grammar debate there...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2509 users online. 127 members and 2382 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X