Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcioccke
    replied
    This is the bottom line issue here. Do not carry if you plan to have more than one or two drinks. Eliminate alcohol from this story and there probably isn't a story to begin with. Either a sober Sgt thinks better than to pull Rosco out or he's in a much better position to articulate why he's justified in doing so.

This all 'assumes' what was written is an accurate depiction of events. We know how that goes.
    Bingo +1

Leave a comment:

• willbird
    replied
    Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
    This is the bottom line issue here. Do not carry if you plan to have more than one or two drinks. Eliminate alcohol from this story and there probably isn't a story to begin with. Either a sober Sgt thinks better than to pull Rosco out or he's in a much better position to articulate why he's justified in doing so.

This all 'assumes' what was written is an accurate depiction of events. We know how that goes.
    This whole story to a degree illustrates why some people (me included) say that if you have to point a gun at somebody, make sure YOU are the first to report it, the person who reports the incident seems to be the one who is believed.......the person who responds to an Officer's inquiry about the incident is on the defensive. I'm sure there are many cases where Police are called and the responding officers sort out that the complainant SHOULD have had a gun pointed at them, but in many other cases the initial compliant sets the tone of the event.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• tumbler
    replied
    I've been to several haunted houses that have actors in the parking lot and after you exit the house you get chased by the chainsaw massacrer, no business carrying while intoxicated, thankfully he had himself together enough to practice trigger control after it was pulled.

Leave a comment:

• cbr600_kitty
    replied
    Originally posted by LeanG View Post
    You just left a haunted house, and you thought the chainsaw was real? If you're in the parking lot, then you're still on the grounds. I would expect the show to continue.

This is foolish on so many levels. I'll just leave it at that.
    Completely agreed.....lol.

Ill also mention, that Ive been to those haunted houses in downtown several times, and theyre just not scary.....maybe I need to take a few shots to go so I can get my money's worth.

Leave a comment:

• LeanG
    replied
    You just left a haunted house, and you thought the chainsaw was real? If you're in the parking lot, then you're still on the grounds. I would expect the show to continue.

This is foolish on so many levels. I'll just leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• mikeymedic
    replied
    We had a haunted house put on by the city in the hallways and outside our PD. It was cool until I had to bring in someone with a warrant through all the people jumping out , fog, and strobe lights.

Leave a comment:

• mpdexplorer
    replied
    Originally posted by JasperST View Post
    Well, I wouldn't expect the show to continue into the parking lot. If someone comes at me with a chainsaw, I'm not going to wait to see it it's loaded.
    this is a great quote you got there.. it made me really think about the situatioin.. was the person with the chain saw really a circus act ... even though the officer was at a haunted house... it spilled out into the parking lot

also he was intoxicated... that with guns... dont mix i believe...

*i was not there and dont know the situation

Leave a comment:

• SleepyCop
    replied
    If I'm drinking in public, I'm never armed. Period. Not only is it safe, but Texas law doesn't make any exceptions for off duty peace officers carrying while intoxicated.

-SC

Leave a comment:

• Citizen85
    replied
    Most professional level haunted attractions have "scare actors" working the parking lot and queue lines outside the actual attraction. It is not at all unusual but that by no means your average person should realize this is a common practice.

Leave a comment:

• KapsFB
    replied
    Originally posted by Hazardsys View Post
    Why do off-duty officers carry when they're intoxicated? I saw another story some time back where an off-duty officer assaulted a bar tender cause she wouldn't serve him any more. Alcohol and guns never mix guys. No one should know that better than leos.

Leave a comment:

• az4code23
    replied
    So the chainsaw was real?????

Leave a comment:

• Name Taken
    replied
    Originally posted by tony.o View Post
    I'm not going to defend that drunk moron. He brought this on himself by thinking he'd be funny to draw his weapon.
    Of course I was not there...but from looking at the situation this is what I gathered as well.

Keep in mind that according to charging documents the Sgt. changed his story about first not pulling a gun, then his daughter pulled on his shirt which revealed it, then he pulled it and pointed it at the ground. This one article doesnt detail the full story (as always).

I have no personal knowledge of this incident but have followed severals news articles on it.

And not like it changes everything but there was another officer in the Sgt's party with him.

Subjective of course but the guy is at a haunted house. Had more then likely been drinking. Was "chased" by a man dressed in a costume with a chainsaw in the parking lot. Changed his stories several time to the officers. Did not order verbal commands once the weapon was drawn. Walked to his car and sat down and did not "detain" the supposed "attacker".

Could this maybe been done differently and been okay....I 100% bet it could have. Do I muster any theory to attempt to debate how the Sgt. shouldnt have been charged....NO.

Leave a comment:

• tony.o
    replied
    I'm not going to defend that drunk moron. He brought this on himself by thinking he'd be funny to draw his weapon.

Leave a comment:

• JLee
    replied
    The headline is a bit misleading - at first glance, it reads like they were inside the house, not outside in the parking lot.

Leave a comment:

• jannino
    replied
    I was just browsing the website for a local haunted house around here and was wondering why they made it a point to state 'no weapons' numerous times. Then I get on this site and see the article... weird.

There are usually 'zombies' walking around outside because it's the only place they let you take pictures of them. I think having a guy walking around the parking lot like that is perfect because people wouldn't be prepared...

Obviously this guy forgot he was at a haunted house....

On a side note, I'm going this week and I'm still carrying... hopefully I won't end up on the news

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3463 users online. 196 members and 3267 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X