What to do until then?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do until then?

Well seeming how every police test i wish to take are 2-4 years away, what is the best thing to do until then? Yeah i know not to get in trouble already and exercising so just incase i did ever get called in i will be physically ready, i mean two years can come by awfully quickly.

Any suggestions?

Also, i really wanted to ask this, do a lot of police departments have young people working for them? for instances 21-25 years of age
    NYPD Exam:2311
    Let the process begin!

NCPD Exam:2000
    Score: Pending...

SCPD
    Score: Passed/No call

Suffolk Corrections:
    Score: Passed/No call yet

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD
    Score: Qualified.

NYSP
    Exam: Oct 12th 2013

Do the Police cadets (18-21) or be a police explorer... or even some depts let citizens volunteer to help them out.

You could also apply for your local DOC... County Doc's in my area hire at 18.

"Der Schmerz ist vorübergehend, Stolz ist für immer"

Comment

Join the military. Seriously up until 2 months ago I never thought I would join the military but then I found my self kinda in the same shoes as you. You get good experience,preference on most civil service exams and you can make good money while your waiting for the job to come thru. I just got a 20k Signing bonus for the Army and DIDNT go Infantry, so it is something you should think about.

I did the cadet thing too, it was a good experience and gets you known by everyone as a hard working person.
      Last edited by Jester69; 10-26-2009, 07:56 PM.
      Originally posted by ISPY4U2
      I'd have pooped myself.
      "But Officer, it's not my butthole. Really, it's my cousins butthole."

-V

Comment

Army does two year contracts, or at least they used to. Get some training, a bit of experience, and some cash.

Beats flipping burgers and running up a student loan.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I can't do the military, i need to stay in school and finish my degree

What would police departments prefer to see? College degree or military?

Also, what exactly is a police cadet... is that like the auxiliary?
          Could you possibly enlighten me a bit

thank you
          Let the process begin!

SCPD

Suffolk Corrections:

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD

NYSP

Comment

From my understanding... it people ages 18-21 who aspire to be police officers and being a cadet, you do everything a officer does but minus the aresting, tickets, guns, power, and car. Your a trainee officer basically. They use the program to get people interested in LE early i think. You get a spot in the academy when you turn 21 too. This is only from my understanding though... don't quote me.

I know NYPD has a cadet program.

"Der Schmerz ist vorübergehend, Stolz ist für immer"

Comment

You can continue your college education AND get it paid for if you join the military. Also you get college credit for being in the military and going to AIT.

the odds of you getting a job with state police at 21 is going to be LOWWWWWWWW....there are gonna be plenty of guys applying to state police that have a degree and years in the military or as a local city or sheriff deputy.
              Originally posted by ISPY4U2
              I'd have pooped myself.
              "But Officer, it's not my butthole. Really, it's my cousins butthole."

-V

Comment

Originally posted by Jester69 View Post
                You can continue your college education AND get it paid for if you join the military. Also you get college credit for being in the military and going to AIT.

the odds of you getting a job with state police at 21 is going to be LOWWWWWWWW....there are gonna be plenty of guys applying to state police that have a degree and years in the military or as a local city or sheriff deputy.
                Well what about the local county police? Do most PD's prefer the military as background?
                Let the process begin!

SCPD

Suffolk Corrections:

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD

NYSP

Comment

I know how you feel, because I'm in that long haul waiting situation as well. I have a year left on my degree and I'm slowly going through the application process for the RCMP. I was always told to just live your life, and when the time comes you'll be able to do what you want. Gain life experiences, volunteer, and make yourself a better candidate.

Hey, you can always apply to Canadian PD's. Several are hiring from outside Canada to fill the need for officers )

Comment

+1 on joining the military, I promise you it'll be an eye opening experience that you will be glad you did for the rest of your life!

Comment

I have been thinking about this all afternoon on what advice to give to someone who is a few years younger then I am and this is what I came up with:

I am 23, and I wish someone had been around 2 yr ago to help me, but I had to learn on my own.

STUDY SPANISH. The academy here, and most from what I hear, teach it. Not only is it good to be ready for the academy, but it will help you more than you know once you are sworn

NOT ONLY stay out of trouble, avoid anything "sketchy." Do not have/go to parties where there are underage people. explain to your friends you can't be with them when they are out doing stupid ish at 0400. All of this will come back to bite you. No one is perfect (except me) however you need to start showing that you are serious about the career.

TAKE ALL of your schooling (I/A) are your current jobs seriously. I didn't, and am suffering because of it.

GO ON ride alongs. and be a sponge.

Like you already said, be in shape. focus on cardio and light weights. It is not as important to be Ripped as it is to be able to have enough gas left in the tank to defend yourself at the end of a footchase. (although, being built like a brick poop-house and being able to run a 4-40 is a giant plus)

IF you can, or have already, military experience is a big plus also.

That is all I have for now. I am sure I wil come up with more.

Comment

Get a job, go to college, join the military. Everyone covered it pretty good.
                        "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4678 users online. 179 members and 4499 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                        X