X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Famalia cartel bust - 300+ arrested

Largest US sting on drug cartel arrests 300-plus

10:32 PM CDT on Thursday, October 22, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- In the largest single strike at Mexican drug operations in the U.S., authorities arrested more than 300 people in a sting that demonstrates an upstart cartel's vast reach north of the border.

The tentacles of "La Familia" extend coast to coast and deep into America's heartland, with arrests announced Thursday in 38 cities from Boston to Seattle and from St. Paul, Minn., to Raleigh, N.C.

Drug deals went down in Oklahoma parking lots, suppliers were advised to weld drugs into tire rims for transport, and in the Dallas and Seattle areas, dozens of children were removed from houses where authorities found drugs, guns or cash derived from drug sales.

Perhaps more than any other cartel, La Familia projects a Robin Hood image. The Drug Enforcement Administration said the group is "philosophically opposed to the sale of methamphetamine to Mexicans, and instead supports its export to the United States for consumption by Americans."

Mexican police say the gang uses religion and family morals to recruit. The gang has hung banners in towns saying they do not tolerate drug use, or attacks on women or children.

One of the gang's alleged recruiters, detained last spring, ran drug rehabilitation centers, helping addicts to recover and then forcing them to work for the drug gang or be killed, according to Mexico Public Safety Secretary Genaro Garcia Luna.

more...>
    http://www.kmov.com/localnews/storie...242a95c8a.html

I read that 90 of those arrests came out of Dallas. Crazy stuff.

Comment

Outstanding work by the folks involved. Just made us all safer.
      If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Comment

Joint task force spends 2 yrs planning and executing arrests of 300.

Day after the operation, 500 new employees replace the ones going to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
          Joint task force spends 2 yrs planning and executing arrests of 300.

Day after the operation, 500 new employees replace the ones going to jail.
          That might be a problem if we are talking about flipping hamburgers but I suspect their chosen profession is a bit more complicated.

Comment

I think it was 16 or so arrests in my city. I had personally arrested several of them on different occasions, but I wasn't involved in this big case.
            MAC

Comment

Put the military on the border.

Comment

If deported, they will be back faster than you can say Obama!

Comment

When will we stop taking down these dealers once they are in America and start going after them in there native country's?
                  This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Originally posted by -Erik- View Post
                    When will we stop taking down these dealers once they are in America and start going after them in there native country's?
                    DEA already does that Erik.. just not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by YELLOWLAB View Post
                      If deported, they will be back faster than you can say Obama!
                      Well for God's sake. Let's not say Obama anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by Seahawks398 View Post
                        Put the military on the border.
                        Yeah that will sure help things

The other night I went to dinner and the subject of discussion turned to a crazy guy with a knife shot dead by police. One of the people at dinner got his undies all in a bunch, and with all the confidence of an expert in the subject affirmed that they should just train cops to "use their hands" and disarm the knife wielding man without shooting him. I responded with equal confidence "You try it", and changed the subject because I didn't really want to ruin dinner by getting into an argument.

Now, with the same confidence of someone who really knows the subject, I suggest to you that anyone who believes "the military on the border" would fix things has about as much knowledge and common sense as the guy who suggested fighting a knife with your hands.
                        Last edited by yellowreef; 10-25-2009, 03:58 PM.
                        "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Originally posted by -Erik- View Post
                          I have an admittedly small piece of the puzzle here, but of the 16 arrests made in my city the majority (14, I think?) were U.S. born citizens.
                          MAC

Comment

31 of those arrests were here in MN. The local news stations were saying "31 Minnesotans" arrested...sorry, but illegal immigrants, who deal dope, are NOT "Minnesotans".
                            The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5440 users online. 302 members and 5138 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X