• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady cited for not speaking English.

Dallas Police ticket mother for not speaking English

10:26 PM CDT on Thursday, October 22, 2009

JASON WHITELY / WFAA-TV

DALLAS - A Dallas Police officer, just out of the academy and still under supervised training, ticketed a woman recently for leaving her drivers license at home, making an illegal U-turn, and being a "Non-English speaking driver.

"At first I thought it was a joke," said Brenda Mondragon about her mother Ernestina's ticket. "I said 'I can't believe it.' I actually laughed. I said 'Oh my gosh mom, I've never seen this before. We moved from California two years ago so I thought maybe it's a law here."

Ernestina Mondragon got the ticket as she took her youngest daughter Vanessa to elementary school on October 2

"She was upset and worried," Vanessa, 11, remembered about the traffic stop.

Dallas Policeman Gary Bromley wrote Mrs. Mondragon three citations

The first for not carrying her drivers license. Mrs. Mondragon said she left it at home darting out the door.Ofc. Bromley also cited her for making an illegal U-Turn in the 500 block of Easton in Northeast Dallas.Finally, the rookie policeman ticketed her for being a non-English speaking driver.

The City of Dallas has no such law on its books

"I'm upset," Brenda added. "I'm really upset. I was really mad.""We regret this happening and although we believe this is a sincere mistake there's no excuse for it," explained Sgt. Warren Mitchell, Dallas Police spokesman.Sgt. Mitchell said the department also apologized to the family and believes the rookie policeman was likely confused. There is a federal law under 49 CFR 391.11 which states drivers must speak English to operate a commercial vehicle

But no such law exists for a private vehicle and Sgt. Mitchell that specific federal law was never adopted by either Dallas or Texas.

Mrs. Mondragon got stopped in her 2004 Toyota Corolla

A court dismissed her charge of not speaking English and having no drivers license after she presented her own.

Brenda Mondragon, Ernestina's daughter, said her mother is still learning the learning English.

Brenda also added that she believes Ofc. Bromley who's still in training clearly needs more of it.

Sgt. Mitchell said Ofc. Bromely's commanders will review previous tickets he has written for any other problems.

The department also wonders why his trainer, Senior Cpl. Daniel Larkin didn't catch his trainee's mistake.

DPD said Bromley will face more more training.

Oy Vey.....
    Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
    MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
    Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
    Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
    Various Graduate Credits - UoP
    MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
    DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Ahora solo voy hablar Espanol solo para joder a mucha gente...
      sigpic

Comment

and what municipal or state statute was this based on?

or was it written in the comments section?
        In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post

No such statute. I think his FTO pulled a fast one on him........lol

Comment

It should be a crime to not speak English in our country.

If I lived in China, you'd expect for me to learn their language.

Comment

Well two tickets were legit, the third had the FTO laughing I'm sure.

Edit: Seahawks398, please move to China.

Comment

Originally posted by Seahawks398 View Post
                It should be a crime to not speak English in our country.

If I lived in China, you'd expect for me to learn their language.
                I doubt that you could. And it would not be a crime if you didn't learn the language. Besides, they don't have a single language. A lot of Chinese citizens cannot speak Mandarin, which is sort of the official language.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Her driver's test should have been given in English only. This bilingual crap is just plain stupid. How are you supposed to read the road signs if you can't speak the language?

Comment

We moved from California two years ago so I thought maybe it's a law here(Texas)."
                    Best part.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                      Her driver's test should have been given in English only. This bilingual crap is just plain stupid. How are you supposed to read the road signs if you can't speak the language?
                      It goes something like this - Shapes, symbols, colors, and numbers are universal...for example there is only one sign that is a red and octagon. The goal here is safe driving inspite of your language.
                      Last edited by SkepticAlways; 10-23-2009, 06:37 AM.
                      ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

That action will certainly do a lot to cement relations in the community and lend a hand up for the professionalism of the DPD. Geez, what arrogance!
                        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

LOL! Is this a joke?
                          RIP Sgt. Joe Bergeron, We will surely miss you.

- EOW 5/1/2010 -

Comment

Originally posted by SkepticAlways View Post
                            It goes something like this - Shapes, symbols, colors, and numbers are universal...for example there is only one sign that is a red and octagon. The goal here is safe driving inspite of your language.
                            You mean like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post

That's the first thing I thought of. Was it simply the officer's comments to note that the driver did not speak english?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6097 users online. 325 members and 5772 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X