NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iowa----Public Safety WILL be Compromised

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    YankeeWhite,

    You may have a large paycheck, but not everyone does. My neighbor who works for the power company has an hourly rate that is more than my overtime rate. Maybe the power company should reduce their rate during the economic downturn.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Colorado Fatboy View Post
      Iowa # 1603

      You say 435 people at your facility and they want to eliminate 80? Just curious how many convicts do you house and what level facility are we talking?
      Maximum security

      that is 435 TOTAL staff not just security/custody

      1100 inmates
      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

      Comment


      • #18
        Are your agencies in contract negotiations by any chance?
        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

        Comment


        • #19
          Wow, just be thankful you still have a job. My hours suck but at least I'm working. I hope all goes well for you.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            Maximum security

            that is 435 TOTAL staff not just security/custody

            1100 inmates
            How many CO's per shift? That's a slim turnout.
            Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
            - G. M. Trevelyan

            B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
            MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
            Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
            Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
            Various Graduate Credits - UoP
            MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
            DPA Valdosta State 30%

            Comment


            • #21
              The administration called 46 officers at home yesterday (or talked to them on shift) to give them first notice that their jobs could be laid off in the next 3 months.
              I understand that the department wants to try to wait until the legislature goes into session in January before doing any layoffs (wants to give them a chance to appropriate some money or do a retirement buyout plan before actually doing layoffs)


              Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
              Wow, just be thankful you still have a job. My hours suck but at least I'm working. I hope all goes well for you.
              I am 14 months from retirement......I am hoping for a retirement buyout.
              I really have no worries becasue I am the #3 senior supervisor in the institution.

              Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
              Are your agencies in contract negotiations by any chance?
              No.......................


              This is a statewide budget shortfall............we are required by law to have a balanced budget at the end of the fiscal yr.


              Originally posted by SleepyCop View Post
              How many CO's per shift? That's a slim turnout.
              No crap. We have been holding off hiring staff after resignations trying to save money knowing that the budget was short. We never imagined a 10% cut.........................

              As we are configured today on duty each day 50 day shift., 53 evenings, 20 nights..............................
              We have a total of 213 uniformed staff as of todays rosters.101 days, 80 evenings, 32 nights (includes supervisors)

              We are also an OLD facility not a modern constructed institution. Much harder to staff than a "pod" facility
              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 10-22-2009, 02:16 AM.
              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                No crap. We have been holding off hiring staff after resignations trying to save money knowing that the budget was short. We never imagined a 10% cut.........................

                As we are configured today on duty each day 50 day shift., 53 evenings, 20 nights..............................
                We have a total of 213 uniformed staff as of todays rosters.101 days, 80 evenings, 32 nights (includes supervisors)

                We are also an OLD facility not a modern constructed institution. Much harder to staff than a "pod" facility
                Crap. That few amount of officers for a facility holding 1100 offenders, should be considered criminal, as well as a beach of public safety.

                It's more difficult due to the fact that you're facility has rolling doors.... That puts many of your officers in pickets instead of walking a rung, or counting a tank.

                I tip my hat to you sir, I wouldn't want to have to deal with that cluster ****.

                -SC
                Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                - G. M. Trevelyan

                B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                DPA Valdosta State 30%

                Comment


                • #23
                  At the risk of my comment being inappropriate for our discussion, I'll venture this. Most, and I emphasize most, politicians couldn't care less about public safety. A prime example of this indifference is exemplified by the current Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. Ms. Pelosi is far more concerned about the availability of her Air Force maintained, luxury ride, than she is about any "public safety" issues. I fully realize that what we're discussing here is a state matter. I merely reference Pelosi as a pretty valid example of what I'm talking about. It's a mindset pretty common to politicians at all levels of government.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                    At the risk of my comment being inappropriate for our discussion, I'll venture this. Most, and I emphasize most, politicians couldn't care less about public safety. A prime example of this indifference is exemplified by the current Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. Ms. Pelosi is far more concerned about the availability of her Air Force maintained, luxury ride, than she is about any "public safety" issues. I fully realize that what we're discussing here is a state matter. I merely reference Pelosi as a pretty valid example of what I'm talking about. It's a mindset pretty common to politicians at all levels of government.
                    Not inappropriate at all. They do, however understand that when the feces hit the fan, and their orders were one of the direct reasons for that windstorm, the pubilc (their employer) will know who to blame.

                    The DOC Director and each warden/district director made it clear in each of their budget reduction statements that public safety would be compromised, safety of the staff and offenders would be compromised, and these cuts will be the reason.

                    The reason the Governor was "unhappy" with some of our recommendations was that he was being put on front street as the cause of any problems we may have in the future. I think our upper administration put him in Check Mate.

                    Originally posted by SleepyCop View Post
                    Crap. That few amount of officers for a facility holding 1100 offenders, should be considered criminal, as well as a beach of public safety.

                    It's more difficult due to the fact that you're facility has rolling doors.... That puts many of your officers in pickets instead of walking a rung, or counting a tank.

                    I tip my hat to you sir, I wouldn't want to have to deal with that cluster ****.

                    -SC
                    Surprisingly we have one of the safest Maximum Security institutions in the country. We also at this time have an open yard where you might easily see 5-600 inmates walking around during the day.............with 2 or 3 staff mixed nto the crowd....................The last officer killed in Iowa was in 1972 in another facility. We have assaults, but have not had anything major for years.

                    Originally posted by Investigator 26
                    Did you see what the legislature in Arizona just passed. They are looking at privatizing the state prison system and selling it off to private prisons. I feel bad for all the CO's that are going to be pensionless.
                    I saw that and don't think for a minute that any FOR PROFIT BUSINESS will buy a prison that needs repair. Most older prisons are very labor intensive, maintenance intensive, and pretty much not "saleable" .

                    That whole situation is a grandstand play...................It will come to nothing .
                    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      Maximum security

                      that is 435 TOTAL staff not just security/custody

                      1100 inmates
                      Interesting! Our biggest maximum facility houses 953 inmates with a staff of 315, that's total staff not just custody/control. That is according to the CO DOC web site anyhow. We have eliminated some positions as they became vacant but are still hiring. We can't keep staff since most new staff starts at CSP (CO State Penn) our ad seg facility, it is not a good place to work. We are also building a new ad seg facility which will house another 1000. Even though they are still building it they say it won't be staffed at least until fiscal year 2010/11

                      The biggest cut they have made here for staff is furlough days. Custody/control officers and sergeants are exempt as well as food service and some medical staff. EVERYBODY else all the way up to the governor has to take a furlough day once a month. This is in stone through the end of the year and is expected to be continued through next fiscal year ending in July. This is state wide not only DOC. Personally I don't mind taking a furlough day if it prevents others from getting laid off. I just consider it taking one for the team and hopefully keeping our facilities safer.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by YankeeWhite View Post
                        Stop settling cases when sued. The State has sovereign immunity and therefore cannot be sued without giving permission to the complainant. Simple - stop giving permission. period.
                        Right, wrong, or indifferent - 42 USC 1983 pretty much elimated "sovereign immunity."
                        "First of all, then we have to say the American public overwhelmingly voted for socialism when they elected President Obama." - Al Sharpton, March 21, 2010

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          WOW, I hope things get better over there.
                          Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
                            WOW, I hope things get better over there.
                            2 OF THE 3 unions chose to take 5 day furloughs and stave off layoffs. One did not and the letters went out this week.We are going to loose 11 counselors and one Security Supervisor.

                            ISP is closing one of their district offices and splitting the territiory and troopers between two near by districts



                            The Govenor just implemented some more measures that are supposed to save 139 million next year and that should save jobs after the July 1 date


                            Looking up somewhat
                            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by equinox137 View Post
                              Right, wrong, or indifferent - 42 USC 1983 pretty much elimated "sovereign immunity."
                              Not really. We as employees have a bitch sueing . Inmates ----not a problem. 1983 covers them.
                              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I was talking to an ISP Sgt. buddy the other night. He was telling me things are really hard right now, but they are doing what they can to make the best out of things.
                                Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4895 users online. 295 members and 4600 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X