Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefighter suspended for displaying American flag

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Firefighter suspended for displaying American flag

    I don't think it's offensive to anyone in the firehouse. I really think someone should teach these guys what the difference between "letter of the law" and "spirit of the law" is.

    Chester, Pa., firefighter James Krapf wants to know what's wrong with Old Glory. The 11-year veteran was suspended without pay Thursday after he refused to peel a sticker of the American flag from his locker.

    "It's pride…it's a matter of pride," Krapf said.

    A new department rule mandates that all stickers and statements -- union, cartoon and political -- be stripped from lockers after several offensive and racist images showed up in the firehouse. But Krapf figured the red, white and blue was safe.

    It seems he was wrong.

    "The chief came out and said 'You have to remove your stickers,' I said 'No disrespect chief, but I'm not taking the flag off,'" Krapf recounted. He says the officer then asked him to leave.

    Fire Commissioner James Johnson, who served in the Marine Corps, vows the symbolism of the decal is not the issue.

    "We wear the American flag on our uniform…it's flying outside that station," he said. "It is not about the American flag or patriotism."

    But Krapf refuses to give up and he's not alone. The firefighters union plans to negotiate with the department on the issue.

    "We applaud Jim Krapf because these colors don't run," said union prez Stacy Landrum.

    Krapf, who was turned away from the station again Friday, plans to stand his ground. "It's the American flag, we should be able to fly it wherever we want…I don’t believe it's offensive to anyone," he said.

    The issue and Krapf's fate is scheduled to be discussed at a meeting on Monday.

    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...4647657.html?m







    Futurelaw

  • #2
    Just sad. I understand the sticker deal because of the racial crap in the firehouse, but the flag?? The department has gone waaayyyy too far on this one.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      It could conceivably be offensive to some people, but I am sure they would not admit it. That is probably the rationale, but I see American flags on fire engines and police cars in Los Angeles County. Then again, Philadelphia is another world.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

      Comment


      • #4
        If someone gets offended by the American flag in AMERICA can get the hell out in my opinion

        Comment


        • #5
          I talked to a firefighter bout this issue.

          You obey the command, then you argue it. Meaning, take it off, then argue why not to take it off.

          This no sticker issue is because of firefighters having racy stickers and stuff like that.

          I'm sure another firefighter on here can give some good insight towards this.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
            I talked to a firefighter bout this issue.

            You obey the command, then you argue it. Meaning, take it off, then argue why not to take it off.

            This no sticker issue is because of firefighters having racy stickers and stuff like that.

            I'm sure another firefighter on here can give some good insight towards this.
            Well I'm glad you spoke to a firefighter about this important issue. I'm sure only firefighters could possibly know about stickers on lockers, and management getting their undies in a bunch about it
            "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
              Well I'm glad you spoke to a firefighter about this important issue. I'm sure only firefighters could possibly know about stickers on lockers, and management getting their undies in a bunch about it
              This isn't an issue about police and lockers... next time there is a locker issue, I'll be sure to send you a message and get educated on it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                This isn't an issue about police and lockers... next time there is a locker issue, I'll be sure to send you a message and get educated on it.
                It's not that dude, you just crack me up. Why on earth would you bother a firefighter with "discussing" this issue (if you even actually spoke to one) just because the person involved is a firefighter? I know, I know, it was your neighbor or some other acquaintance who happens to be a firefighter and you were otherwise engaged, but happened to mention it, discuss it, and post "his" opinion within 13 minutes of the article being posted.
                "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gixxerjoe04 View Post
                  If someone gets offended by the American flag in AMERICA can get the hell out in my opinion
                  +1000. I feel the same. "THEY" can GET OUT. Someone else posted. He should have took it down then fought about. NO Sir not me I would have done the same thing.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
                    It's not that dude, you just crack me up. Why on earth would you bother a firefighter with "discussing" this issue (if you even actually spoke to one) just because the person involved is a firefighter? I know, I know, it was your neighbor or some other acquaintance who happens to be a firefighter and you were otherwise engaged, but happened to mention it, discuss it, and post "his" opinion within 13 minutes of the article being posted.
                    I didn't bother him.. theres a firefighter at the gym I go to. Didn't bug him, just asked him about it. His buddy mentioned it to him and I was right over there with him and his buddy.

                    This article isn't 13 minutes old either. It's about a day or two old....

                    Would you like me to post TuffStuffCBP's opinion whos neither a firefighter or a police officer?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's a sticker, but it's still the American flag. sounds like that dept. has some bs politics. Way to go, Chief.
                      Last edited by exdrip; 10-19-2009, 08:40 PM.
                      "Friendly Fire, isn't"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                        theres a firefighter at the gym I go to. Didn't bug him, just asked him about it. His buddy mentioned it to him and I was right over there with him and his buddy.
                        What did I say? It was an acquaintance who happens to be a firefighter and you were otherwise engaged. I should have guessed the part where someone else mentioned it and you just happened to be there to hear his opinion...

                        And no, I don't want you to post anyone else's opinion. Your own opinion would do just fine.
                        "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
                          What did I say? It was an acquaintance who happens to be a firefighter and you were otherwise engaged. I should have guessed the part where someone else mentioned it and you just happened to be there to hear his opinion...

                          And no, I don't want you to post anyone else's opinion. Your own opinion would do just fine.
                          What does that have to do with anything? Sounds like you're just mad at something and feel like taking it out on me.

                          This is a matter of firefighters, lockers and rules. Simply adding to the discussion, which is more than you're doing...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The rule is no stickers. What's so tough about this? It isn't about the flag, it isn't about patriotism, its not about "these colors don't run" or whatever.

                            If you sewed a big ol' flag to your uniform and showed up to work, would it be unpatriotic of your supervisor to tell you to remove it? How about sewing a 9-11 on your BDUs during basic training and then whining that the drill sgt. wants the terrorist to win when he yells at you?

                            How about if I painted my squad car like an American flag? Would it be a question of patriotism to have it repainted and discipline me?

                            Rediculous. If you're so fired up about patriotism, go help a disabled veteran charity. Stuff like this is why I let my American Legion membership expire, too much emphasis on symbolism and not enough about actual patriotism and helping veterans.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Livew1re View Post
                              +1000. I feel the same. "THEY" can GET OUT. Someone else posted. He should have took it down then fought about. NO Sir not me I would have done the same thing.
                              yea i meant to put "they" in there just forgot haha

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6797 users online. 352 members and 6445 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X