Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn Football Player Stabbed - Now Dead

Autopsy: Howard Died From Stab Wound To Abdomen

STORRS, Conn. -- An autopsy revealed that University of Connecticut football player Jasper Howard died of a single stab wound to the abdomen.

His death has been ruled a homicide.

Starting cornerback Howard, 20, of Miami, was fatally stabbed on campus early Sunday morning. His stabbing occurred after a fight erupted outside a school-sanctioned dance at the Student Union.

Howard and another person were stabbed. Both victim were taken to Windham Community Memorial Hospital. Howard was then airlifted to St. Francis Hospital, where he died. The second victim has been treated and released from the hospital. That victim’s identity has not been released.

UConn police said Monday that the search for Howard’s assailant continued. They said they do not believe his stabbing was random, and that they don’t believe students are in danger.

UConn football coach Randy Edsall said he was called to St. Francis Hospital early Sunday morning to identify Howard’s body.

“I have two children of my own at home, but I have 105 sons and one of my sons has been taken away,” Edsall said.

Howard’s girlfriend in Miami was pregnant with the couple’s child. His family said he had dreams of playing in the NFL. His death came hours after the football team’s 38-25 win over Louisville in the Huskies’ homecoming game.

UConn junior Daniel Stark said he watched Saturday’s game and was excited about the team’s outlook for the season. Stark said he received a text message from UConn notification system Sunday morning, alerting him of the stabbing. He said shortly afterward, he found out Howard had died.

“It’s definitely a tragedy, I mean, the win yesterday was such a morale boost and that feeling was just turned around. It’s like a low in my stomach when I got that text this morning,” he said. “It’s just painful, the UConn community is hurt.”

Many students said they are surprised the stabbing happened on campus.

“I usually feel pretty safe, nothing really happens, so it’s pretty surprising, I’d say,” senior Katie Kabot said.

Although police said the stabbing was not a random act, students said they remain worried about safety.

“Last year there was another stabbing off campus; it just seems like it’s becoming a trend,” Stark said.

UConn head of security Ronald Blicher said Howard’s death is the first homicide on the campus in the more than 30 years he’s worked there.

“While I will call this not a random act of violence, the university doesn’t have someone walking around stabbing people,” he said.

University police reopened the student union Sunday night.

Anyone with information is asked to call UConn police at 860-486-4800.
    Word is they have a suspect under arrest, he's from Bloomfield, CT.
    Last edited by NextGenOfc; 10-20-2009, 07:43 AM.

Good, I hope they caught the guy...Howard went to Miami Edison, tough school in a tough neighborhood...I'm willing to bet he got a scholorship to play ball at the University of Miami, but went to Connecticut instead...

A lot of guys from S. Florida end up going to Florida State, Florida, or like Howard, go to another place to get away from Miami...

RIP HOWARD...

sigpic

Comment

I hope they catch this guy or girl that did this. Pretty hard to sneak up and stab a young athlete like that.

Comment

Attorney Says Client To Be Charged In UConn Stabbing

STORRS, Conn. -- A Hartford attorney said a client he represents will be charged in connection with the fatal stabbing of a UConn football player.

Attorney Deron Freeman said police informed him that his client will be charged in connection with the stabbing of 20-year-old Jasper Howard. Freeman said his client did not physically stab Howard.

Howard, a starting cornerback on the UConn football team, was stabbed on campus early Sunday morning. The stabbing was the result of a fight that broke out after a school sanctioned dance at the student union.

University police said someone pulled a fire alarm in the building, forcing everyone outside. He said a fight then erupted between two groups of people.

Freeman said police are actively pursuing an arrest warrant for his client, who he declined to identify. He said he does not know when the warrant will be issued. He said police searched a residence in Bloomfield that they believe to be his client’s home.

Freeman confirmed that his client was there at the time of the stabbing, but could not confirm or deny whether his client was involved in the altercation.

It was an emotional arrival at Bradley International Airport on Monday as the parents of Jasper Howard arrived in Connecticut. UConn football coach Randy Edsall met the grieving couple at the airport.

Howard's parents arrived hours after an autopsy revealed that Howard died of a single stab wound to the abdomen. His death has been ruled a homicide.

Howard’s teammate Brian Parker, who is ineligible to play this season, was also stabbed. Both men were taken to Windham Community Memorial Hospital. Howard was then airlifted to St. Francis Hospital, where he died. Parker was treated and released from the hospital.

UConn football coach Randy Edsall said he was called to St. Francis Hospital early Sunday morning to identify Howard’s body.

“I have two children of my own at home, but I have 105 sons and one of my sons has been taken away,” Edsall said.

Howard’s girlfriend in Miami was pregnant with the couple’s child. She was with him this past weekend as he helped his team win their homecoming game over Louisville, 38-25. His family said he had dreams of playing in the NFL.

Comment

Good, found some more people responsible!

2 Suspects In UConn Stabbing Face Judge

STORRS, Conn. -- Two of three people charged in connection with the stabbing death of UConn football player Jasper Howard faced a judge Wednesday.

John Lomax, 21, of Bloomfield, Hakim Muhammed, 20, of Bloomfield, and Jama Todd, 21, of Hartford, were arrested Tuesday in connection with Howard's death.

Lomax was charged with murder and Muhammad with conspiracy to commit assault. Todd was charged with falsely reporting an incident and reckless endangerment. Police said Todd pulled the fire alarm that emptied the Oct. 18 dance at UConn's Student Union. Todd is a student at Eastern Connecticut State University.

Howard was fatally stabbed after the dance when everyone was moved outside after the alarm was pulled.

Police said the arrests were made after a more than week-long investigation that included more than 300 interviews.

Lomax and Muhammad appeared in Rockville Superior Court late Wednesday morning. Lomax's bond was kept at $2 million and he is scheduled to return to court on Nov. 13.

Muhammad's bond was lowered to $450,000 and he is scheduled to return to court on Nov. 20.

Todd is scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 10.

Howard was laid to rest in his hometown of Miami on Monday. Among those paying their respects were the teammates of Jasper Howard, who arrived on four white buses. Each man carried a single white rose, tied with a blue ribbon, as he walked into the New Birth Baptist Church.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5633 users online. 345 members and 5288 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X