300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Vans Parked On Freeway Ramps

Every now and then (probably once or twice a month), I happen to notice an unattended white panel van parked on I-95 entrance & exit ramps with orange cones around it. There is some type of sensor that is set up on the ground - along with a vehicle counter or camera-type device.

Is this for some kind of emissions testing? It appears to be positioned so that it can read license plates of passing cars and trucks.

I have seen it as far south as Fredericksburg and as far north as Springfield - near the infamous 'mixing bowl' where I-95 joins 495 and 395.

Anyone know what it is and what their purpose might be? Do they mail tickets if you have too much smoke coming out of the tailpipe?

** Oops! Sorry, Admin; I should have posted this in the 'Virginia' section. My bad. **

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Sounds like one of the drive by emissions vans they used to use here. Maybe just checking general emissions if they don't use them there.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Spy vans. White is the new black.
      Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
        Sounds like one of the drive by emissions vans they used to use here. Maybe just checking general emissions if they don't use them there.
        X2.

I do not believe they write cites and mail them out, however, at least not here in CO.

But, last month both my vehs needed their yearly tags renewed. My (soon-to-be-designated) piece o' crap Accord did not require emissions re-testing, but our nicer Odyssey did. All I could think was that the Odyssey does not make as many trips past those freeway entrance emission testers as the Accord does on a routine basis.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

They want your DNA.
          sigpic
          Don't make me gassy.
          You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

See my sig re: white vans on the on-ramps.

I agree with CO's finest above -- probably emissions testing.
            If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Comment

They have them in Maryland as well. I've had one sit on my on ramp to US 50 for about a week. I'm like the second to last on ramp before bay bridge. There was alot of construction around so i thought it may be for car counting.

"Der Schmerz ist vorübergehend, Stolz ist für immer"

Comment

In Illinois we have white vans that have radar and take automated photos of speeders. From your description, that's what it sounds like to me, but it makes no sense for them to be on the on-ramps. Here they usually put them in construction zones.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

because black helicopters are so 1997...
                  In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

They're for keeping cows away.

Comment

They are routinely employed in an ongoing attempt to locate Jimmy Hoffa
                      "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                        They are routinely employed in an ongoing futile attempt to locate Jimmy Hoffa
                        Fixed.
                        If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Comment

Whenever I see one of those portable emission stations, I punch my Duramax right when I go by and leave a cloud of black smoke for it to choke on. They haven't gotten my license plate yet, LOL.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3945 users online. 308 members and 3637 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X