• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy burned in attack will spend months in Miami hospital, doctor says

Pretty sick!...

http://www.miamiherald.com/467/story/1281802.html
    http://cbs4.com/local/deerfield.beac...2.1247487.html

Boy burned in attack will spend months in Miami hospital, doctor says

Five boys are accused of dousing a Deerfield Beach 15-year-old with rubbing alcohol and setting him on fire, leaving him with burns covering 65 percent of his body.

BY ADAM H. BEASLEY
    [email protected]

Michael Brewer, the 15-year-old Deerfield Beach boy who on Monday was doused in rubbing alcohol and set ablaze, will remain hospitalized for months at Ryder Trauma Center in Miami, where doctors said Wednesday that the boy's face and hands were spared serious damage.

Speaking to reporters, Dr. Nicholas Namias, of the hospital's Burns, Trauma and Surgical Care unit, said the burns scorched 65 percent of Michael's body and that jumping into the pool following the attack may have helped save his life.

Doctors were hopeful of Michael's recovery, but said the next few days would be critical because of the severity of the burns, Namias said.

``Resuscitation is going as well as can be hoped for, but it would not be fair to say everything is OK,'' Namias said. ``This is a terrible, terrible thing that will change his life forever.''

Namias, who has worked with burn victims at Ryder since 1998, said he had never treated such severe burns on a person so young in age.

He said Michael is heavily bandaged and will stay in the intensive care unit for months.

Charged in the attack are five teens who attend Deerfield Beach Middle School. All lived within a few miles of each other, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.

Those charged with aggravated battery were Matthew Bent, 15; Denver Colorado Jarvis, 15; his brother Jeremy Jarvis, 13; Steven Shelton, 15; and Jesus Mendez, 15.

The boy accused of lighting the fire -- Mendez -- also is charged with second-degree attempted murder.

All five have been ordered to juvenile detention pending their next court hearing.

The attack happened Monday afternoon outside an apartment building in Deerfield Beach.

The motive for the attack: payback over money Michael owed for a video game and the thwarted theft of Michael's father's bike, according to BSO officials.

``In my 31 years, you always say, `It's the most heinous crime I've seen,' '' Sheriff Al Lamberti said. ``In this case, this one fits in that category.''
    sigpic

Last edited by Nobody; 10-19-2009, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Very sad. Hopefully the juvenile courts handle this appropriately.

Comment

Sickening...imagine what they'll be like as adults.
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop View Post
          Sickening...imagine what they'll be like as adults.
          I hope the Judge is really thinking about that when giving them sentencing. In a crime like that, they should be tried as such!

Comment

This happened right near me. I've got a few friends who are firefighters, organizing a fundraiser, for the burned kid, and his family, to help cover medical costs. I'll be helping out there at the fundraiser. If anyone wants to know, shoot me a PM and I'll get you the info ASAP.

Comment

This might be completely wrong of me to say.... but..... someone should set the suspects on fire. WTF is wrong with people?
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
              and I'm not sure about the former.
              -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Wow, throw the book at them.
                In Memory of A Fallen Hero

Comment

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZiPiXEv_Q_...0/****-off.jpg
                  Last edited by Nobody; 10-19-2009, 08:00 AM.

Comment

It's obvious, these kids were born/raised during the Bush years!

Probably raised on Country-Western music, too.

"You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

get used to those jump suits ..punks

Comment

All of them should be tried as adults and then sent to prison's general population.

Comment

I hope they don't take this case lightly.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4892 users online. 293 members and 4599 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X