300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1N1 vs. the Police

How many of you are planning to get flu shots, and how are you getting them?

Through a private physician?

Though a hospital?

Through a local grocery store?

Through work?

Also, when do you plan to get them?

Are you getting both the standard flu and the H1N1?

I have a reason for asking. I am ****ed that while I can get the shot though work, and my wife is going to the local grocery store, I seem unable to get a shot for the most vulnerable person in my household, my 5 year old granddaughter who has asthma. Her Pediatrician can't get it, and the Krogers grocery wont give it to someone under 14.

So while curious about how many first responders are going to get the flu shots, I also wanted to vent that those most at risk are unable to get them here. It seems stupid to me that a Grocery Pharmacy can get the shots, but a pediatrician and a physician can't.

we live in a stupid world.
    Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Check this link out maybe it will help...http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c...AIlH&b=1015035

Comment

While working at an ECp - entry control point - the other day we had a woman come through driving a big pickup. Checked her ID - valid, no concerns - and handed it back. After saying 'proceed' she looked at me and said " Officer, you may want to wash your hands." I of course, thought she was being a smart a&&, but maintained my professionalism anyway.

" Why is that maam?"

Deadpan, she blurted " I have H1N1." Looking closer at her arm, sure enough she had two pieces of med tape on one arm where shots might have been recently administered and a hospital wrist band on the other. My partner and I damned near shat ourselves and fought over each other into the latrine. Of course, where was no soap.

I informed my commanders that I had been exposed to the aforementioned lovliness and they laughed, thinking me joking. I've since called the base OCCMED clinic and am waiting for a response, hoping to get some sort of shot.

This happened about seven days ago. Now I have a lump in my throat and generally feel sick. I certainly hope its coincidence.

If not.......well, here's hoping

Comment

Yank, Ya don't got noth'in..... It's all in ya's head, it is...

Trust me on this one....

GetTy TriggEr!!!
        Originally posted by mookster
        Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
        Originally posted by CityCopDC
        I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
        Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
        I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
        -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Kingsman,
          Have you checked with your local Department of Health? They often times have the vaccine available for high-risk individuals like your daughter. I'd also try the local hospital (if you have one near-by). As far as the H1N1...I'm not completely sold on the vaccination...I remember what happened back when they gave the "swine flu" innoculation...people died! Just use standard precautions and wash-wash-wash your hands! MHO
          Codeman

Comment

I got the regular flu shot; however, I don't plan on getting the H1N1 shot. Got my regular flu shot free from the county.
            "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

I know a couple medical professionals in a couple big cities, they are seeing H1N1 as being LESS deadly than the common flu, and they are not even testing now to see exactly what flu you have, they just treat it like any flu.

Bill
              Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

No problem with those, other than health care professionals who do not want to get shot. But for those of us who have underlying conditions (like my diabetes) I think a talk with your doc is in order. You deal with enough sickly scum as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeWhite View Post
                  While working at an ECp - entry control point - the other day we had a woman come through driving a big pickup. Checked her ID - valid, no concerns - and handed it back. After saying 'proceed' she looked at me and said " Officer, you may want to wash your hands." I of course, thought she was being a smart a&&, but maintained my professionalism anyway.

" Why is that maam?"

Deadpan, she blurted " I have H1N1." Looking closer at her arm, sure enough she had two pieces of med tape on one arm where shots might have been recently administered and a hospital wrist band on the other. My partner and I damned near shat ourselves and fought over each other into the latrine. Of course, where was no soap.

I informed my commanders that I had been exposed to the aforementioned lovliness and they laughed, thinking me joking. I've since called the base OCCMED clinic and am waiting for a response, hoping to get some sort of shot.

This happened about seven days ago. Now I have a lump in my throat and generally feel sick. I certainly hope its coincidence.

If not.......well, here's hoping
                  At least you found out right away. About two months ago I did an extensive interview with a subject in a small room, surely breathing the same air, and photos ad evidence back and forth. Three days later I get a call saying that "by the way" that subject had H1N1. No need to freak out, it's the flu and it does have a lower mortality rate than the regular flu. In any case, I didn't contract it so it can't be that contagious.
                  "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines

The deaths of another 19 children and teenagers from the new H1N1 virus were reported in the past week around the country, including two in Maryland, pushing to 76 the number of fatalities this year among those under 18, officials said. It was the largest number of pediatric deaths reported in a single week since the pandemic began in the spring.

"These pediatric deaths seem to be increasing substantially," said Anne Schuchat, who heads the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

While most of the children who have died have had other health problems that made them particularly vulnerable, such as asthma, muscular dystrophy and cerebral palsy, 20 to 30 percent were otherwise healthy, Schuchat said.

Between 46 and 88 children died from the seasonal flu in each of the past four years, so the fact that so many have already succumbed is disturbing, Schuchat said.
                    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

The deaths of another 19 children and teenagers from the new H1N1 virus were reported in the past week around the country, including two in Maryland, pushing to 76 the number of fatalities this year among those under 18, officials said. It was the largest number of pediatric deaths reported in a single week since the pandemic began in the spring.

"These pediatric deaths seem to be increasing substantially," said Anne Schuchat, who heads the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

While most of the children who have died have had other health problems that made them particularly vulnerable, such as asthma, muscular dystrophy and cerebral palsy, 20 to 30 percent were otherwise healthy, Schuchat said. In other words, 70% to 80% of the children that died did so from complications related to very serious pre-existing conditions, which the regular flu could have also exascerbated for all we know.

Between 46 and 88 children died from the seasonal flu in each of the past four years, so the fact that so many have already succumbed is disturbing, Schuchat said. In other words, the 76 deaths reported have not surpassed the regular flu numbers.
                      Look, it is tragic that anyone is dying from this, especially children. I do believe however that this is being portrayed a lot worse than it is. No one freaks out about the regular flu, yet it is somehow the end of the world that there is a new strain. I don't get it.
                      "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Unless you wake up looking like this, you've got nothing to worry about.
                        sigpic
                        Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                        And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Not getting a flu shot (I passed on the city's offer of a free shot). Not getting a pig flu shot. Standard precautions are the rule of the day, and also have some masks and gloves in case we back EMS up.
                          sigpic
                          Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
                            Look, it is tragic that anyone is dying from this, especially children. I do believe however that this is being portrayed a lot worse than it is. No one freaks out about the regular flu, yet it is somehow the end of the world that there is a new strain. I don't get it.
                            Because no one has any anti-bodies to a brand new strain, so the chances of large numbers of people being ill all at once is the biggest concern.

So, instead of thinking about just yourself getting sick, perhaps being in bed for 3 to 5 days...consider your entire family being so ill you can't get up for 3 to 5 days. Do you have other family that can come by to make sure you and your kids are fed and hydrated?

There's already been one school that closed because so many kids were sick....so even if your child is fine, someone may have to miss work to stay home for about a week. Now, multiply that by say....half (or more) of your staff not being able to come in because they, or someone in their family is sick.

Somewhere between "no big deal" and "the sky is falling" is "educated and cautious."

By the way, a 5 year old (with no underlying medical problems) just died today from H1N1 here in San Diego.

sigpic

Comment

And to address the whole issue of those deaths related to other conditions....if the people around them stay healthy, you reduce their risk of exposure.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6404 users online. 348 members and 6056 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X