300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mace or pepper spray

What's the difference and which one is better for self defense?

Generally, mace is made of manufactured chemicals, where OC spray is all natural. OC works very well anddoes not do any permanent damage to the person it is used against. It also comes out at a slightly lower pressure so it won't damage the person's eyes with too much pressure.

Comment

What the other guy said. I think "mace" is a concoction of various chemicals while OC, or oleoresin capsicum, is an oily, pepper-based substance. Well, it's also chemical in nature as well, but we'll skip the organic chemistry lesson here.

I haven't knowingly seen mace since looking at my mom's keychain back in the 80's, but all of the OC brands I've encountered have an ultraviolet dye included in them. You can also purchase, depending upon the legality in your jurisdiction, a combination spray consisting of both OC and CS (tear gas). It gets the term CS from the two guys that created or discovered it.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

I rarely see mace brand around anymore, I see they have their Mace pepper gun or whatever in galls, and I think its academy still sells Mace brand dog repellent.

Comment

Have never actually senn mace.

Comment

Funny you asked... I was browsing through a Galls magazine the other day and saw they had mace for sell.

Which one produces the greatest effect the soonest? Mace or pepper spray?

Did LEOs ever carry mace? Thought I heard it didn't last long because of the long term damage it caused to some suspects...

Comment

OC in stream for me. Slams the eyes shut everytime.
                "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
                  OC in stream for me. Slams the eyes shut everytime.
                  Well said Troop... Never been Zoroed with Tha' Pepper stuff...

But I used ta' kinda' like tha smell of mace..I swear I still can almost remember tha' active stuff in mace.... I believe it is spelled Pheynolmetholclhoralketone... I SH-1T ya not.. Goggle it see if I was a' close...

Ain't that crazy???? Ummm I think tha' capstun stuff would sufice fer hot sauce or sumpt'in... Just a' think'in out loud don't ya know... I Think I gotta go "lay" one...

See ya later.. Getty TriggEr!!!
                  Originally posted by mookster
                  Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                  Originally posted by CityCopDC
                  I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                  Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                  I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                  -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

I swear it must be because I have a fat head or something cuz it felt like they emptied half a can on my face on qualification.

One tip if you ever get hit, take baby shampoo and stick it in the freezer, works like a charm. Also, never to forget to wear your skivvies when you take a shower, prevents accidental re-contamination.
                    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

The original "Chemical Mace" was a brand name for aerosol CN teargas, sold by Federal Ordinance. Over time, the word "mace" came to be associated with just about any personal sized aerosol teargas product carried, regardless of the active ingredient. Now, "Mace" is a product line (company) that offers several different aerosol CN, CS and OC formulas, and even combinations of these substances in different forms (stream, fog, gel, etc...) and cannister sizes. I've used "Mace" brand OC ("Peppergard") and it worked fine, but theres still lots of other companies that sell excellent OC products with perhaps even better formulas.

http://www.mace.com/?utm_source=goog...FSReagodZw3-jA

http://www.zarc.com/pepper_store/ite...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

http://www.counterassault.com/html/selfdefense.html
                      Last edited by pulicords; 10-14-2009, 06:29 AM.
                      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I agree with "pulicords"...CN= "kinda nice", CS= "kinda sh***y", and OC= wel...OC! Oleoresin Capiscum, (OC) is made from the stuff found in hot peppers and is a particulate, while CS and CN are chemical in nature and are usually in a gaseous state. We used both CS and CN for riot control up until the manufacturers found that OC was a great substitute, and did not cause the kind of medical problems CS and CN caused on certain individuals. (FYI, OC is the stuff found in bear repellant). If you're asking, stick with the OC...it is readily available, and much easier to defend in court!
                        Codeman

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3893 users online. 248 members and 3645 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X