Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monkeybomb
    replied
    I think this depends on where you work. I go from urban, suburban to open range.

We are responsible for roughly 1800 square miles of territory. I have no problem going 100+ under certain circumstances with lights and sirens. In a populated area no. To drive 40 miles through farmland because you have a hot call and you are the closest back up. Absolutely.

Its all prespective. You cant put a limit on a response to certain situations. We pay our people to have common sense and use it. Law enforcement is a dynamic job and rarely are we able to make very many policies that cover every situation.

Drunks fighting big deal. Active shooter in a church or school, well for me the pedal is going to the floorboard.

Leave a comment:

• DACP
    replied
    Originally posted by marcusindc View Post
    We've got a limit on how fast we can go, it's a certain speed over the posted limit, and for the most part I abide by it because I know they'd throw me under the bus if they learned I caused an accident by going over it. In most cases, it doesn't really affect me because by the time I hit that speed, I've got to slow/stop for a light, traffic, stop sign, etc.

The only exception of my going over of course is an officer in trouble.
    We have a policy that is about the same here, most of the area is the same also no place to get going very fast.

Leave a comment:

• wirefire2
    replied
    Originally posted by TimK View Post
    One of my professors at UW teaches a law class for undergrads, mentioned that one thing he taught when he was a sergeant with SPD was to drive at just above normal speeds. That the response time difference, when factoring in traffic, wasn't great enough to outweigh the officer arriving jacked up on adrenaline and shaky from playing pole position through the city.
    I've heard of this 'story' before and I don't believe it one bit. There is no way they can confirm that.

Leave a comment:

• wirefire2
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
    Sounds good on paper. But how many of you can control your foot on the pedal and watch the speedometer while running code?
    I call it experience and common sense.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
    There is case law in CA that restricts responding speeds to that which is reasonable and prudent for the time of day, traffic and roadway conditions, urgency of the call, weather, pedestrian traffic, etc. Almost word for word the same as the "Basic Speed Law." The case goes on to say that responding at greater speeds than necessary may relieve the responding officer of the protections provided by law from civil litigation and criminal prosecution. I am sorry that I cannot cite the case name or number - it was one of my research projects in college in the 60s.

All-in-all, as has been stated, if you don't arrive you are of no help to anybody.
    Although there are similarities, there are also differences. The "urgency of the call" is not a factor in the basic speed law. The applicable standard for emergency responses is "due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway," and the officer's judgment must not be "arbitrary." I think this allows conduct that may be "unnecessary", but ultimately it will be up to the jury to apply the statute in a given case, which means that there usually be a bias in favor of an innocent person who is injured.
    Last edited by DAL; 10-12-2009, 06:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FJDave
    replied
    Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    I can......its called 'maturity'......

It is also called 'self preservation'......and that applies to both my health and my career.
    +1,000,000,000

I rolled code yesterday to back a unit that had a man with a gun detained. Speed limit was 45, I was driving 50ish, and the setting sun was in my eyes....that was as fast as I could SAFELY drive while code 3.

Leave a comment:

• Taylor13
    replied
    Originally posted by Sabre View Post
    I hit 100mph or more almost every time I run radar on the freeway. Ya can't catch somebody who is going 90+ if you are limited to 85.

It's should be about training and teaching officers to use better judgement, not removing their discretion.
    If you work HP or something to do with the highway, it's completely different than running code, and doing 110 in an urban environment. Unless it's an area where there is always a ton of traffic.

Leave a comment:

• SgtCHP
    replied
    There is case law in CA that restricts responding speeds to that which is reasonable and prudent for the time of day, traffic and roadway conditions, urgency of the call, weather, pedestrian traffic, etc. Almost word for word the same as the "Basic Speed Law." The case goes on to say that responding at greater speeds than necessary may relieve the responding officer of the protections provided by law from civil litigation and criminal prosecution. I am sorry that I cannot cite the case name or number - it was one of my research projects in college in the 60s.

All-in-all, as has been stated, if you don't arrive you are of no help to anybody.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
    Sounds good on paper. But how many of you can control your foot on the pedal and watch the speedometer while running code?
    I can......its called 'maturity'......

It is also called 'self preservation'......and that applies to both my health and my career.

Leave a comment:

• mikeymedic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hale
    replied
    I dont break any speed limits without blues and siren even then Im not gonna run 100+ without a serious life or death call. It's to risky, you could kill yourself or someone else, get sued, or even jailtime.

Leave a comment:

• Narco
    replied
    we've had a policy in place for years that limits when we can run code and how fast we can do it

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
    I was going to disagree but I found the case law the protects (in general terms) police from litigation when there is no special duty.

Tipton v Town of Tabor (South Dakota case!) I don't know if it applies elsewhere but case law gets kind of whacky with other courts.
    There is also at least one SCOTUS case that states the same thing. Not sure of the exact case citation though

Leave a comment:

• TimK
    replied
    One of my professors at UW teaches a law class for undergrads, mentioned that one thing he taught when he was a sergeant with SPD was to drive at just above normal speeds. That the response time difference, when factoring in traffic, wasn't great enough to outweigh the officer arriving jacked up on adrenaline and shaky from playing pole position through the city.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    Overly strict regulations come about because some police officers fail to exercise good judgment. Often, the resulting regulations are an even bigger problem than the practice they were meant to eliminate, and can themselves subject the agency to increased civil liability when -- sometimes with good reason -- they are violated.

Training, perhaps with simulations, seems like the best approach to me.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4071 users online. 271 members and 3800 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X