Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont break any speed limits without blues and siren even then Im not gonna run 100+ without a serious life or death call. It's to risky, you could kill yourself or someone else, get sued, or even jailtime.
    NO-LIFER

Comment

Sounds good on paper. But how many of you can control your foot on the pedal and watch the speedometer while running code?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
        Sounds good on paper. But how many of you can control your foot on the pedal and watch the speedometer while running code?
        I can......its called 'maturity'......

It is also called 'self preservation'......and that applies to both my health and my career.
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

There is case law in CA that restricts responding speeds to that which is reasonable and prudent for the time of day, traffic and roadway conditions, urgency of the call, weather, pedestrian traffic, etc. Almost word for word the same as the "Basic Speed Law." The case goes on to say that responding at greater speeds than necessary may relieve the responding officer of the protections provided by law from civil litigation and criminal prosecution. I am sorry that I cannot cite the case name or number - it was one of my research projects in college in the 60s.

All-in-all, as has been stated, if you don't arrive you are of no help to anybody.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
            I hit 100mph or more almost every time I run radar on the freeway. Ya can't catch somebody who is going 90+ if you are limited to 85.

It's should be about training and teaching officers to use better judgement, not removing their discretion.
            If you work HP or something to do with the highway, it's completely different than running code, and doing 110 in an urban environment. Unless it's an area where there is always a ton of traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
              I can......its called 'maturity'......

It is also called 'self preservation'......and that applies to both my health and my career.
              +1,000,000,000

I rolled code yesterday to back a unit that had a man with a gun detained. Speed limit was 45, I was driving 50ish, and the setting sun was in my eyes....that was as fast as I could SAFELY drive while code 3.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Smurfette
              Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
              Originally posted by DAL
              You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                There is case law in CA that restricts responding speeds to that which is reasonable and prudent for the time of day, traffic and roadway conditions, urgency of the call, weather, pedestrian traffic, etc. Almost word for word the same as the "Basic Speed Law." The case goes on to say that responding at greater speeds than necessary may relieve the responding officer of the protections provided by law from civil litigation and criminal prosecution. I am sorry that I cannot cite the case name or number - it was one of my research projects in college in the 60s.

All-in-all, as has been stated, if you don't arrive you are of no help to anybody.
                Although there are similarities, there are also differences. The "urgency of the call" is not a factor in the basic speed law. The applicable standard for emergency responses is "due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway," and the officer's judgment must not be "arbitrary." I think this allows conduct that may be "unnecessary", but ultimately it will be up to the jury to apply the statute in a given case, which means that there usually be a bias in favor of an innocent person who is injured.
                Last edited by DAL; 10-12-2009, 06:07 PM.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                  I call it experience and common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TimK View Post
                    One of my professors at UW teaches a law class for undergrads, mentioned that one thing he taught when he was a sergeant with SPD was to drive at just above normal speeds. That the response time difference, when factoring in traffic, wasn't great enough to outweigh the officer arriving jacked up on adrenaline and shaky from playing pole position through the city.
                    I've heard of this 'story' before and I don't believe it one bit. There is no way they can confirm that.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusindc View Post
                      We've got a limit on how fast we can go, it's a certain speed over the posted limit, and for the most part I abide by it because I know they'd throw me under the bus if they learned I caused an accident by going over it. In most cases, it doesn't really affect me because by the time I hit that speed, I've got to slow/stop for a light, traffic, stop sign, etc.

The only exception of my going over of course is an officer in trouble.
                      We have a policy that is about the same here, most of the area is the same also no place to get going very fast.
                      It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

I think this depends on where you work. I go from urban, suburban to open range.

We are responsible for roughly 1800 square miles of territory. I have no problem going 100+ under certain circumstances with lights and sirens. In a populated area no. To drive 40 miles through farmland because you have a hot call and you are the closest back up. Absolutely.

Its all prespective. You cant put a limit on a response to certain situations. We pay our people to have common sense and use it. Law enforcement is a dynamic job and rarely are we able to make very many policies that cover every situation.

Drunks fighting big deal. Active shooter in a church or school, well for me the pedal is going to the floorboard.
                        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6436 users online. 369 members and 6067 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X