300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questionable Security

My sister was visiting from New England this week. I took her down to the Mall in DC (she likes the museums and the culture shock to me didn't to too much damage). Anyway, it's DC....so I'm carrying. In a holster/fanny pack.

First place we go to is the Museum of American History (I think). As we enter, I see they are screening people via magnetometers. Okay, I identify myself and the security officers (I hate the word 'guards') there are very nice and professional. I'm expecting to be asked to check my weapon. Once my ID is checked, they have me sign a logbook on file. I noticed numerous names from various locations. Name/signature/agency. Done. We tour the place and move on. Fair enough.

At the next place however, the National Gallery of Art, there are no magnetometers. About four officers 'checking' bags & purses. Well, sort of. They check my sister's handbag, which by the way is smaller than my holster/pack. I have my ID in hand but nobody asks to check my pack. It should be noted I also have a pocket knife clearly visible in my pocket. Knife....art gallery with precious paintings. What could possibly go wrong? We're both amazed.

Same thing at the next place ('modern' art....ugh!). Bags/purses checked.....not to worry about fanny packs or pocket knives. The one guy even said something about "don't want you to bring any hand grenades in". WTF? I could've had a nuke in this pack!

Why have anything? Why waste the money for people at the front door?

It just amazed me our nation's capital would put in place such a superferlous (sp?) checkpoint guarding such commodities. I was almost tempted to say something on my way in or out. Opening the pack/holster saying something to the effect...."Did you want to check this?"

Your tax dollars again at work.
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

It's not like a terrorist will bomb a place of liberal arts... c'mon now.

Comment

Sometimes it's just the appearance of security that management wants, and they also don't want to inconvenience visitors or "frighten" them.

"Convenience is the natural enemy of security."--Alex Kossel
      --
      Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

First, Dude... a Fanny Pack?

Second, I assume you think you're safe while you fly because TSA checks everybody.... yea... You should know that if somebody wants to do something: guards, metal detectos and signs that say "no weapons beyond this point" mean absolutely nothing.

Does "better" security help deter potential violent crimes/ terrorists? Yes, but it is what it is.

Most people accept the false sense of security and ignore the fact that it's B.S. I don't accept it, hence why I carry 99% of the time-everywhere.

RR_Security pretty much sums it up.

Comment

False sense of security = gated community.

Comment

So, I guess you wanted the security guys to take your legally-purchased and -carried firearm from you? Maybe take your pocket knife, too, in case you're not a responsible grown-up who can control his urge to slash up the Picassos and Kandinskys?

The guards at a museum aren't necessarily there to pat people down for weapons...they're probably more concerned with disorderly folks, medical situations, and shoplifting from the gift shop.
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"You've got to be good in this business, but you've got to get a lot of breaks. If you don't realize that, if you really think you're sitting here because of your genius or anything, I don't know, maybe your background is different, but I got my butt kicked a lot at every level, including this one."

- Stan Van Gundy

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
              It just amazed me our nation's capital would put in place such a superfluous (sp?) checkpoint guarding such commodities.
              fixed it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                First, Dude... a Fanny Pack?

Second, I assume you think you're safe while you fly because TSA checks everybody.... yea... You should know that if somebody wants to do something: guards, metal detectos and signs that say "no weapons beyond this point" mean absolutely nothing.

Does "better" security help deter potential violent crimes/ terrorists? Yes, but it is what it is.

Most people accept the false sense of security and ignore the fact that it's B.S. I don't accept it, hence why I carry 99% of the time-everywhere.

RR_Security pretty much sums it up.
                Yep. I deserved that.

At least it matched my pumps!
                sigpic
                Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

There will be better security at all those places, just as soon as something bad happens.
                  Originally posted by FJDave
                  GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                  "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

I've visited DC - there seem to be two types. There are the special police officers, and the regular guards. They are then lumped back together and split into two distinct groups - those who care and are proud to be LEOs (quasi/not quite LEOs for the guard-folk) and those who are collecting their paychecks. Nothing else. Much like....everywhere. I can only imagine they are working with policies and crap from museum drirectors who change their mind as often as wind changes direction.

But, as stated, things will improve when crap hits the fan. That part of DC, however, is overflowing with cops - which is ridiculous since the part I got lost in definitely needs some but I couldnt find any

Comment

Most security is for show.
                      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                        Most security is for show.
                        Your right about that. I currently work security so I can pay my way through the academy. Most have absolutely no training and are hired off of the street. I applied and was working the same day. I'm hoping that they did this because I have MP training from the Corps. I can't tell you the countless people who came in, saw what it was and left. I've also worked for the type who drive the de-milled crown vics with scanners inside. It all depends on the company really.
                        "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                        I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

The security screening at the Smithsonian Museums is just for looks. It makes people feel more comfortable. In their defense, they want to make the museums feel open to the public and not like you are entering a maximum security prison.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZiPiXEv_Q_...0/****-off.jpg
                            Last edited by Nobody; 10-19-2009, 06:57 AM.

Comment

They still make fanny packs?

If Chuck Norris can pull it off... Anyone can....

Chuck Norris wears fanny packs!
                              Last edited by az4code23; 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM.
                              "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4846 users online. 292 members and 4554 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X