Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC man in jail a week for mistaken identity

The Associated Press • October 11, 2009 08:58 AM

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Authorities say a 44-year-old North Carolina man spent a week in jail because he has the same name of a suspect 23 years younger.
    The News & Record of Greensboro reported Saturday that Jesse Ray Hardy Jr. of Greenville was arrested Monday, then taken to jail 160 miles away to face charges of resisting an officer, breaking and entering and failing to yield to a pedestrian. Court officials say the real suspect shares the same name and hometown, but is not related. The mix-up wasn't realized until Friday, despite court appearances in both Pitt and Guilford counties. Judge Susan Bray apologized to Hardy as she worked to get him released. But he didn't have a way home. Bray, prosecutors, defense attorneys and bailiffs collected $58 to buy Hardy lunch and a bus ticket back home.
    God doesn't believe in athesists.

That really stinks in this day and age :-(. I am glad they got the cash together out of their own pockets to get the poor guy home again, of course he will probably sue and win millions.

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

I glad someone got it straightened out. How could he go through two different court appearances without anybody realizing he was a little older than 21. Then they gather $58 dollars for a bus ticket and lunch? The court or dept should have at the very least had a squad car take him back immediately. The stupidity of that kind of screw up is unexcusable. I understand some things get a little hectic and confusing at times but mistaking a 44 year old man for a 21 year old! Of course it was probably some over zealous DA or ADA trying to make a name for themselves without a drop of common sense.

Comment

There was some guy somewhere that kept getting hauled off to jail for another guys warrants, the other guy was even DEAD and of a different race.

Bill
        Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Sorry to sound cynical, but this seems to be a screw up that could only happen in the pre-internet era. Didn't the real suspect have booking info available, such as fingerprints and a photo? Or was this a cite and release type of situation? Or perhaps those involved did not believe the guy and did not bother checking?

This scares me. I have searched offender databases in several states out of curiousity. At least ten people with my first and last name.

Actually I have my own similar story, to a lesser extent. Some guy with my first and last name as well as my middle initial has an outstanding traffic ticket that seems to keep coming up. A quick search on one of those "white pages" sites(just based on town of residence) reveals this guy is over 40 years older than me, but the courts say there is nothing they can do about it, because his DL# was not recorded for the ticket!?

Comment

I don't understand why anyone would transport him 160 miles to another county without checking whether he met the description as well as the name on the warrant. Somehow we managed to do that in the days before the internet was invented.

Both the arresting agency and the agency holding the warrant are at fault.
            Last edited by DAL; 10-11-2009, 04:37 PM.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by fyrboy View Post
              The Associated Press • October 11, 2009 08:58 AM

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Authorities say a 44-year-old North Carolina man spent a week in jail because he has the same name of a suspect 23 years younger.
              The News & Record of Greensboro reported Saturday that Jesse Ray Hardy Jr. of Greenville was arrested Monday, then taken to jail 160 miles away to face charges of resisting an officer, breaking and entering and failing to yield to a pedestrian. Court officials say the real suspect shares the same name and hometown, but is not related. The mix-up wasn't realized until Friday, despite court appearances in both Pitt and Guilford counties. Judge Susan Bray apologized to Hardy as she worked to get him released. But he didn't have a way home. Bray, prosecutors, defense attorneys and bailiffs collected $58 to buy Hardy lunch and a bus ticket back home.
              Really? They couldn't have given him a ride in a county vehicle, are they that cheap? Whoever wanted the extradition should be responsible to getting back where he came from if it was their error.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                Really? They couldn't have given him a ride in a county vehicle, are they that cheap? Whoever wanted the extradition should be responsible to getting back where he came from if it was their error.
                +1 You hit the hammer on the nail, they are that cheap..thats pretty sad. They should have a fed him a meal of his choice, and a ride home not a fricken Bus.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                  They are. They will end up paying a lot more, considering that he was also in jail for a week. The warrant should contain a date of birth and physical description.

Comment

If they rode him there in the County vehicle, he should have riden back in one!

Comment

Wow, I at least confirm the warrant, DOB, and SS# if applicable.

Comment

Originally posted by MB2009 View Post
                        Of course it was probably some over zealous DA or ADA trying to make a name for themselves without a drop of common sense.
                        This started with the officer that put the cuffs on. When I arrest someone on a warrant, I check, re-check, and check a third time to make sure everything matches. Your comment about DA's and ADA's, in this case, was uncalled for.

EDITED TO ADD: Just saw your profile. That answers why you made such an uneducated comment. Carry on.
                        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

b
                          Originally posted by towncop View Post
                          This started with the officer that put the cuffs on. When I arrest someone on a warrant, I check, re-check, and check a third time to make sure everything matches. Your comment about DA's and ADA's, in this case, was uncalled for.

EDITED TO ADD: Just saw your profile. That answers why you made such an uneducated comment. Carry on.

Please do explain what part of my profile makes that an uneducated comment?

Lets see, it doesnt say why he was arrested or stopped. It says even with court appearances in Pitt and Guilford counties the mixup wasnt realized until friday, after a week in jail. OK so he's been arrested and is in court, lets see, who at that point is handling the issue at this time, and who would make the decision to have someone extradited, would that be an officer? I dont think so. I think that falls under the realm of a DA or ADA. So now who is responsible for making sure they have the right person? The officer made the arrest, for whatever reason, we dont know it may have been a DUI or Jaywalking. All we know is he was detained and confused with someone else. Now after the arrest it is in a DAs hands arent they supposed to know who they are preferring charges against? So lets see at least two DAs or ADAs (lets not forget two judges) from two different counties have now made contact with the individual. I would have to guess his, lets say public defender, has pointed out they have made a mistake that the guy they're looking for is 20 years younger. Somebody should have realized, or maybe in their zealous haste they just didnt want to believe the guy looked middle aged, they had the wrong damn guy. Or maybe in Indianapolis the police take care of all that without the court system. I suppose you have a better idea of what happened? Apparently you have a better education.

By the way from your comment it appears that you feel its the arresting Officers fault that he was extradited? Being that Im awaiting my EOD for a position as a Federal Patrol Officer, I prefer to give the officer the benifit of doubt, since it doesnt say he was arrested under the other fellows warrant. But thats just me. I will defer to your intelligence since Im not a LEO yet. By the way I put student in my occupation because I am taking classes part time and because my current occupation has nothing to do with LE.
                          Last edited by MB2009; 10-11-2009, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MB2009 View Post
                            b

Please do explain what part of my profile makes that an uneducated comment?

Lets see, it doesnt say why he was arrested or stopped. It says even with court appearances in Pitt and Guilford counties the mixup wasnt realized until friday, after a week in jail. OK so he's been arrested and is in court, lets see, who at that point is handling the issue at this time, and who would make the decision to have someone extradited, would that be an officer? I dont think so. I think that falls under the realm of a DA or ADA. So now who is responsible for making sure they have the right person? The officer made the arrest, for whatever reason, we dont know it may have been a DUI or Jaywalking. All we know is he was detained and confused with someone else. Now after the arrest it is in a DAs hands arent they supposed to know who they are preferring charges against? So lets see at least two DAs or ADAs (lets not forget two judges) from two different counties have now made contact with the individual. I would have to guess his, lets say public defender, has pointed out they have made a mistake that the guy they're looking for is 20 years younger. Somebody should have realized, or maybe in their zealous haste they just didnt want to believe the guy looked middle aged, they had the wrong damn guy. Or maybe in Indianapolis the police take care of all that without the court system. I suppose you have a better idea of what happened? Apparently you have a better education.

By the way from your comment it appears that you feel its the arresting Officers fault that he was extradited? Being that Im awaiting my EOD for a position as a Federal Patrol Officer, I prefer to give the officer the benifit of doubt, since it doesnt say he was arrested under the other fellows warrant. But thats just me. I will defer to your intelligence since Im not a LEO yet. By the way I put student in my occupation because I am taking classes part time and because my current occupation has nothing to do with LE.
                            Moving from one county to another is not extradition. The initial decision to arrest is made by the arresting officer, who is supposed to verify that the information on the warrant matches the person arrested. The decision to transport is made by the agency that holds the warrant, which would the sheriff's office or a police department. They should verify all the information when they leave to pick up the prisoner, and when they transport him. The officer in charge of the jail should again verify the match.

The judge is not involved until the prisoner appears before him or her. The D.A. would be involved at the same time, and when the warrant was issued.

So there is no reason to blame the D.A. or the judge.

Comment

Part of the point was it doesnt state why the guy was arrested it could have been for a completely unrelated offense. So without knowing why are you automatically blaming the arresting officer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5479 users online. 349 members and 5130 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X