300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tragic Death of Open Carry's Two Biggest Myths

The tragic murder of Meleanie Hain by her husband shatters two of Open Carry's biggest myths:

#1 - That carrying a gun makes you safe from those that will do you harm.

#2 - No one who carries legally ever commits a crime.

Mrs. Hain was an huge advocate for carrying a gun and was a member of the OpenCarry.org forums. She, like everyone there, went out of her way to try to stir up attention by open carrying in places sure to cause controversy.

Her husband was a Parole Officer and also an advocate of carrying guns.

Yet neither mattered when it came to her murder.

I wonder how the gun crazies will spin this into a reason why everyone should carry?
    “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Something tells me this lesson isn't about open carry as it is about domestic violence.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Yeah, did they slap leather at high noon or what?

Comment

Originally posted by NYCDep View Post
        The tragic murder of Meleanie Hain by her husband shatters two of Open Carry's biggest myths:

Mrs. Hain was an huge advocate for carrying a gun and was a member of the OpenCarry.org forums. She, like everyone there, went out of her way to try to stir up attention by open carrying in places sure to cause controversy.

I wonder how the gun crazies will spin this into a reason why everyone should carry?

Yes, everyone who can lawfully posess a firearm should carry if they wish.
        Last edited by LT Dangle; 10-10-2009, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
          Something tells me this lesson isn't about open carry as it is about domestic violence.
          1+

I wonder what the whole situation behind it was.

Comment

As much as I don't agree with open carry, I don't think this murder has anything to do with that particular issue.
            Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

So you would be happier if he pushed her out of the window?

Comment

Just because she liked to open carry, doesn't mean she walked around inside her house that way. She didn't, as you say "go out of her way". She felt OC was for her and practiced her belief. What if she decided to carry concealed, would that have changed anything???

A woman was killed by her husband. Get over the OC thing. It had ZERO to do with her murder. OC is a legal act in PA. She knew it. Law enforcement knew....or should have known it. The only "controversy" surrounded anyone who didn't like it. They should have been informed that there was no violation of the law. End of story!

There is no "myth busting" here. Just hogwash spread by people who have nothing better to do than berate a murdered woman.
                Steve

Comment

In a concealed carry type of situation; this would have been no different.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve in PA View Post
                    There is no "myth busting" here. Just hogwash spread by people who have nothing better to do than berate a murdered woman.
                    I have plenty other things to do. I just choose to exercise my 1st amendment. Surely you wouldn't try to deny me my constitutional right of freedom of speech?
                    “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

You always know the right thing to say.

I have plenty other things to do. I just choose to exercise my 1st amendment. Surely you wouldn't try to deny me my constitutional right of freedom of speech?
                      I don't know if its just me or what, but why does it seem that people love to bash the second amendment while claiming the first amendment?
                      When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG View Post
                        So you would be happier if he pushed her out of the window?
                        You remember Archie Bunker too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzFWRPiNXOI
                        The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

You have no Constitutionally protect right to speech on a private message board on the internet.
                          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Absolutely right on target.

Please note October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Focus NYC, focus.
                            sigpic
                            Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                            And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of OC, especially in crowded cities, but this case really is about domestic violence and has little to do with the carrying of a firearm.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7664 users online. 332 members and 7332 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X