300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inmates' flushing habits prove costly

REDWOOD CITY -- San Mateo County has agreed to pay $2.3 million to settle a lawsuit that accused county jail inmates of clogging Redwood City's sewage system by flushing clothes, sheets and other items down toilets, officials said Thursday.
    The settlement was reached with the South Bayside Systems Authority, a publicly owned system that handles sewage for several Peninsula cities, including Redwood City. The agency sued last year.

The payout includes an estimated $700,000 for increased maintenance and the cost of repairing damage caused by inmates at the Maguire jail in downtown Redwood City, said Dan Child, the authority's general manager.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0TXbxZ4VE

Since 2004, that ends up being around 4-5 dollars an inmate.

Comment

Isnt this kinda redundant? Tax payers money are getting payed to fix something that there money would have been used to pay for anyway? or is this a private jail?
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Make the inmates go down there and unclog it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingbat View Post
          Isnt this kinda redundant? Tax payers money are getting payed to fix something that there money would have been used to pay for anyway? or is this a private jail?
          County jail -------city sewer system.

We are a state institution , we pay the city for our water usage and our sewer usage just like any other business does.

Our wells were flooded out a year ago so until we get the new ones up and running, we are paying. Once we are on our own water, we will pay a set fee for our sewage use.

We put in a shredder between our sewer line and the cities sewer. This was after we did some damage to the city treatment plant.

We also can get fined by the state health department if we don't follow their rules---------------our fine money goes to the state general fund-----back from where we go the money!!!!!!!
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I say no toilets for inmates, make inmates do their #2 in a plastic bag, #1 in a cup, and they aren't allowed to throw their containers for a whole week. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by nogginbuster24 View Post
              I say no toilets for inmates, make inmates do their #2 in a plastic bag, #1 in a cup, and they aren't allowed to throw their containers for a whole week. LOL
              Brilliant.

Comment

You didn't really have not thought through that plan have you.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                  Make the inmates go down there and unclog it.
                  Agreed. Inmates should go down there and unclog. It would save a lot of money.
                  "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

Originally posted by az4code23 View Post
                    Agreed. Inmates should go down there and unclog. It would save a lot of money.
                    Go down where? Think about that. Do you really want a bunch of ****head inmates attempting to do plumbing work?

Just make them pay the bill. Or sit more time, take away privileges.

Scumbag Inmate: I flushed my toothbrush.
                    Stud Muffin CO: That's too bad, that will be $5.00 added on to your restitution and no TV for a week.
                    Scumbag Inmate: Now I'm a sad panda.

Comment

You, sir, obviously have never worked in a jail..........................or maybe you have!

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                      Go down where? Think about that. Do you really want a bunch of ****head inmates attempting to do plumbing work?
                      Who do you think does the real work in a Correctional Facility. Maybe not in a jail............................but our inmate plumbers are a whole lot better than the Correctional Trades Leaders that supervise them Besides I would rather have them get dirty as one of our employees
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6052 users online. 317 members and 5735 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X