300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4/10 shift to 8/6 NEED HELP!

an idea has been formulated from within the powers that be for patrol to change from 4/10 shifts to 8/10 with 6 days off. If anyone has experience, input or research on this PLEASE let me know.

post direct here or email me at [email protected]

current shift works as follows
    "slow end" sunday to wed
    "fast end" wed to sat
    4 ten hour shift with three days off

proposed
    8 ten hrs shift with 6 days off
    every one works wed to wed two squads each shift

essentialy makes everyone work every other sat

patrol is happy with the current shift, not sure why the change
    new shift does not
    - add to manpower
    - improve any training days

www.NutritionCompany.Net
    sport and fitness supplements 4 less
    LEO owned and operated
    LEO discount use coupon code LEO while checking out for 5% off your order
    Last edited by cgir3547; 10-12-2009, 02:30 AM. Reason: update

Hmmm, that is a schedule I have never heard of. I can't think of any benefits to it off hand though.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Originally posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

That sounds like a waste. You would think that the longer shifts would be more beneficial right?

Comment

I would think any major change like this should have some benefits.. This will be a 3 month trial on mid shift.. most of the research I have located through google shows mids really shouldnt be any longer than eight hrs and def not longer than 4 days. I just couldnt imagine the stress on the home life, and job come day 7.

www.NutritionCompany.NET
        Sport and Fitness Supplements 4 Less
        LEO Owned and Operated for 11 yrs
        LEO discount for 5% off order, enter LEO in coupon code while checking out

Comment

Shoot I'd be down with 4 12hr days on, 4 days off. Thats always been my fav, course I used to work 2 10hrs days, 2 14hr nights then have 4 days off.

Comment

nothing beats the panama 3/2/2/3!

Comment

I just left a specialized unit with an 8 on, 6 off schedule. We had two officers per division, working opposite each other and overlappng on Wednesdays.

Anyway, you won't like it. The 8-day work week is a killer on the midnight shift, and in my unit 4 of my 6 days off were eaten up by court. Given my Army Reserve committment, I once went over a year without a single day off.
              MAC

Comment

Originally posted by mac266 View Post
                I just left a specialized unit with an 8 on, 6 off schedule. We had two officers per division, working opposite each other and overlappng on Wednesdays.

Anyway, you won't like it. The 8-day work week is a killer on the midnight shift, and in my unit 4 of my 6 days off were eaten up by court. Given my Army Reserve committment, I once went over a year without a single day off.
                thanks for the input... what was the reasoning for staying with this set up at your agency?? thanks

Comment

8 days in a row, regardless of how long the shift is, will get old FAST!! I wouldn't want to do it. Like others have said, I can't think of a single advantage to it.

Comment

8 days straight is a lot to ask of any officer, I would lobby the powers that be to keep things as they are. Perhaps someone is griping that they do not want to work EVERY Saturday or Sunday. We used to work 5/2 5/3, so every few months you would get a set of weekends off fri/sat followed by fri/sat/sun, followed by sat/sun followed by sat/sun/mon.. I liked this schedule because you often had off mid week and could get a lot done.

Stores were less busy on the weekdays, etc. but I like 4/10's and I also like 3/12's.

Comment

3/12s here, and they rock. The dept used to be 5/8s which everyone hated.

Comment

Contact the Oklahoma City Police Department (or one of their members who post within the Oklahoma section). They have been on this schedule for as long as I remember. From all the guys I have spoken with they love the schedule.
                        sigpic

Comment

Most officers that I have worked with start getting cranky after 6 days. Complaints will go up thats nearly a guarantee. We worked weird 10 hour schedule that once a month everyone worked the same day. We orginally used it as a training day then they decided it would be used for whatever saturation patrol. Most officers were just plain cranky on that day.
                          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I do not want to hijack the thread but do any of you have any tips on how to adjust to a major change in schedule on short notice? I currently work 1pm-10pm shift Tuesday-Saturday. Starting next week I will be working 6pm-7am Tuesday-Saturday. I have never worked nights before so it's going to be a very new experience for me. Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, we just went from 8 hour shifts 5 on/2 off to 12 hour shifts 5 on/2 off.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5864 users online. 345 members and 5519 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X