Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The potential legalization of pot in California and it's affect on LEO

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The potential legalization of pot in California and it's affect on LEO

    I was just reading a new article about the further developments of the state of California towards legalization of pot on the federal level. How would this personally affect a sworn officer and those wanting to be hired (both in CA and outside of). Would a police officer be able to smoke a doobie and face no repercussions? What about someone who lives out of state that takes a vacation to CA and indulges but then goes back to their home, in say Colorado, and fesses up to usage where it was legal. Would that be held against the person?

    Enlighten me!

    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...c6upwD9B6FADG3
    Last edited by concon02; 10-08-2009, 02:58 AM.

  • #2
    If an officer goes to Denmark where pot is legal, and smokes out for a couple of day's, then comes back and has to submit to a urine sample, do you think it will matter where he smoked it if it is still illegal in his state? Plus, if marijuana is legalized in California, it will still be illegal according to the fed's. On your employment app and polygraph you take, you are asked whether you have broken any laws both State and Federal. I think that would cover it and the officer would be looking for a new line of work.
    Last edited by montanahogrider; 10-08-2009, 06:15 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      This is always on my mind when I return from Amersterdam.
      ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by montanahogrider View Post
        If an officer goes to Denmark where pot is legal, and smokes out for a couple of day's, then comes back and has to submit to a urine sample, do you think it will matter where he smoked it if it is still illegal in his state? Plus, if marijuana is legalized in California, it will still be illegal according to the fed's. On your employment app and polygraph you take, you are asked whether you have broken any laws both State and Federal. I think that would cover it and the officer would be looking for a new line of work.
        Well, what about when the federal ban is lifted?

        On a bit of a side note, it would seem so counter-productive for the Feds to involve themselves on a crackdown of Marijuana sales/usage when the whole state has legalized. That's like a mom telling her son it's ok to do something, as long as the dad isn't around... You gotta know the kid is going to have a field day.
        Last edited by concon02; 10-08-2009, 06:37 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I would say this spring when the state budget has completely collapsed, and LEO are driving looters away from their stations with belt fed machine guns the fact that pot is legal will really not mean a lot will it ??


          Bill
          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

          Comment


          • #6
            ^^ Sounds like a good idea

            Comment


            • #7
              lol... This discussion doesn't HAVE to turn sour. Can LEO not talk civilly on drug topics?

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't see in the article where the federal government is considering making pot legal. It would be no different than prostitutes in Nevada. If a traveler is coming the the US to be a prostitute they are turned away at the border. The thing with pot is as long as it is in your system you will suffer effects from it. So you smoke up on Friday night when you get off, but you still test positive on Monday when you have to shoot some gangbanger. You will lose the civil lawsuit that comes from it. Are you willing to take that chance? To me it really doesn't matter what CA does. They are one of, if not the most, liberal state in the country. They are about to collapse, yet many still seem to believe what they did and the results of their policies are good and won't have the same results on the federal level.
                Last edited by kc12; 10-08-2009, 08:12 AM.
                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

                For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

                Comment


                • #9
                  ^You're right. I jumped the gun when I made my post and linked the article. There's no mention of the Feds lifting a ban, but I think in due time, we can expect Marijuana to be legalized on the Fed level.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by concon02 View Post
                    ^You're right. I jumped the gun when I made my post and linked the article. There's no mention of the Feds lifting a ban, but I think in due time, we can expect Marijuana to be legalized on the Fed level.
                    Don't count on it, at least not in our lifetime.
                    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                      Don't count on it, at least not in our lifetime.
                      I count on it. I see Alcohol having more harmful and violent effects on people and eventually they're going to need to tax something heavily which people will be buying.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        To the OP. I wouldn't hold my breath on Marijuana being legalized at the Federal level. Your profile states you're active duty USMC, and an aspiring LEO. I sincerely hope you're not using at present, as that could result in your leaving the Corps under less than Honorable conditions. That, in turn, would pretty well put the brakes on your LE ambitions. With regard to California legalizing Marijuana. In theory it could take that action, but the state law would be in conflict with existing Federal Law. In those instances, Federal Law usually trumps a contrary state law.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          How can anyone give a sensible response to your question.

                          Law-enforcement agencies can and do consider conduct that is not illegal. People may be disqualified due to bad credit, excessive alcohol consumption, being an unreliable employee or having bad judgment. Some departments even will not hire anyone who smokes tobacco.
                          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DAL View Post
                            How can anyone give a sensible response to your question.

                            Law-enforcement agencies can and do consider conduct that is not illegal. People may be disqualified due to bad credit, excessive alcohol consumption, being an unreliable employee or having bad judgment. Some departments even will not hire anyone who smokes tobacco.
                            For not being able to provide a sensible answer, you sure did! This is the head of the nail being hit here. It doesn't matter if the action is legal. If it shows poor judgement, character, personality, attitude, etc. then you will NOT be hired by LE. I just posted a similar response to a question about legalized prostitution and whether that will affect a background investigation. Just because it's not illegal doesn't mean it's okay.
                            Invisible Signature.......FAIL

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Great, another pot thread.....
                              "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6529 users online. 362 members and 6167 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X