Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LAPD academy trainers not POST certified?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD academy trainers not POST certified?

My father in law mentioned he heard something on the radio the other day about the TO's at the academy were not certified to be training recruits. Anyone have any more information about this? The radio said it would be an issue with cops who have been disciplined for training issues and the like in the past.

I hope not because my TOs look like they're POST certified to me.

Comment

I am sure an accredited agency like LAPD does not use NON-POST certified trainers, imo. Does he have any proof?
      "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

The only thing I can say for sure is about the advanced classes that are taught to already sworn officers. Let's say you want to be a radar instructor for LAPD. You would have to be radar certified already. Then, instead of going to a POST certified radar instructor course, you would go to an LAPD instructor development course. You are then an LAPD instructor to teach whatever you want including radar. The instructor development course just tells you how to teach.
        God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by BanditLAPD View Post
          My father in law mentioned he heard something on the radio the other day about the TO's at the academy were not certified to be training recruits. Anyone have any more information about this? The radio said it would be an issue with cops who have been disciplined for training issues and the like in the past.
          I think not.....The academy as a whole is a "CA POST" certified academy so I bet they are doing everything by the book.

http://www.post.ca.gov/training/academies.asp

While LAPD's academy has become a lot easier over the recent years it is still a POST certified academy.

Comment

I believe there may be a problem because POST requires that trainers be approved in advance to teach the specific course they teach. In the past, POST was more flexible.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

You do not have to be P.O.S.T. certified if the class you are teaching is not a P.O.S.T. certified course. For example, an officer teaching departmental policies and procedures does not have to be certified; or, the officer who is presenting a multi-agency course on how to overcome a hostage situation (Non-P.O.S.T), etc.

Typically, Federal agency instructors are not CA P.O.S.T. certified instructors - FBI, DEA, ATF and others. They are, however, certified through the F.L.E.T.C. programs.

These are the instructor courses available through the system:

INSTR. TECHN. FOR LE TRAINERS
              INSTRUCTOR DEV.-BASIC COURSE
              INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT
              INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT - CRITICAL THINKING
              INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT - PRESENTATION SKILLS
              INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT EXT.
              INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT SYMPOSIUM
              INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT-INTERMEDIATE
              INSTRUCTOR/CURRICULUM DEV.
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                You do not have to be P.O.S.T. certified if the class you are teaching is not a P.O.S.T. certified course. For example, an officer teaching departmental policies and procedures does not have to be certified; or, the officer who is presenting a multi-agency course on how to overcome a hostage situation (Non-P.O.S.T), etc.

Typically, Federal agency instructors are not CA P.O.S.T. certified instructors - FBI, DEA, ATF and others. They are, however, certified through the F.L.E.T.C. programs.

These are the instructor courses available through the system:

INSTR. TECHN. FOR LE TRAINERS
                INSTRUCTOR DEV.-BASIC COURSE
                INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT
                INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT - CRITICAL THINKING
                INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT - PRESENTATION SKILLS
                INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT EXT.
                INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT SYMPOSIUM
                INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT-INTERMEDIATE
                INSTRUCTOR/CURRICULUM DEV.
                Well, of course. POST does not prohibit anyone from receiving training that is not POST certified; you just don't get POST CPT (or academy) credit for it.

I noticed that POST recently approved some DHS courses for POST credit. I don't know what they did about instructor approval on those.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by VChopefull View Post
                  I think not.....The academy as a whole is a "CA POST" certified academy so I bet they are doing everything by the book.

http://www.post.ca.gov/training/academies.asp

While LAPD's academy has become a lot easier over the recent years it is still a POST certified academy.
                  easier? then how was it like 10-20 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by nogginbuster24 View Post
                    easier? then how was it like 10-20 years ago?
                    A lot more yelling, a lot more PT, and a lot more regimented. We would not be caught walking anywhere unless it was in formation. From what I've seen, they're trying to get back to that.

Nowadays, some of the more, shall we say, less exposed type people, are making complaints against some of the instructors for some not so nice type words. In "the old days," that would never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
                      A lot more yelling, a lot more PT, and a lot more regimented. We would not be caught walking anywhere unless it was in formation. From what I've seen, they're trying to get back to that.

Nowadays, some of the more, shall we say, less exposed type people, are making complaints against some of the instructors for some not so nice type words. In "the old days," that would never happen.
                      So you're saying LAPD academy got more watered down in the last few years compared to say your time at LAPD academy?

Comment

POST inspects all the time. The DJ provided inaccurate info. I am sure like those above me have mentioned that there are certain courses not taught by POST instructors. In my academy some of the instructors on certain subjects were DA's because the class was criminal procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by nogginbuster24 View Post
                          So you're saying LAPD academy got more watered down in the last few years compared to say your time at LAPD academy?
                          You got it...

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
                            You got it...
                            well what do you think of the quality of the Academy graduates in the past few years on the field compared to say your era of academy graduates?

Comment

Originally posted by BanditLAPD View Post
                              There are probably civilians that work for the POST that might have some roll in the training but that doesn't mean they aren't qualified for certain aspects of training.

Example: Having a course of instruction on criminal law. It will probably be taught by a prosecutor and not a cop.

Domestic violence would be taught by some kind of victim/witness advocate and not a cop.

The list goes on. Obviously there are somethings that should be taught by cops, like DUI/DID enforcement.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5462 users online. 305 members and 5157 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X