X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thefirm5
    replied
    Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
    Very few stores actually do this. Fleet foot is the main store that evaluates your foot strike. They put you on a treadmill and tape you running and then play back and show your running style. Then are also more expensive than any shoe store out there, but you feel obliged to pay.

I would educate yourself more as even at those stores the store clerk may not know everything. When I went yrs ago he put me in a shoe for avg weight runners and I am 200+. There are shoes designed for clydesdale runners.

Top three there!

GrayPatriot hits it right on the head.... you need to make sure you get the right shoe for your running style. While I did not get professionally checked, there are ways to do a personal check on how your feet land and whatnot (I would recommend professional). I recently switched from Nike to UnderArmor and I will never wear Nike running shoes for actually running ever again. (I have run since Jr. High and try to keep the mileage around 300-350miles per pair and this is by far the best pair of shoes I have ever run in.) Like GP said check out fleet feet, it is worth the extra money to get the right shoe for the right foot strike.

Leave a comment:

• airman3454
    replied
    Any other input?

Leave a comment:

• GrayPatriot
    replied
    Originally posted by fishAK View Post
    I'll be going to the local runner's store and having them check out my feet. Good info.
    Very few stores actually do this. Fleet foot is the main store that evaluates your foot strike. They put you on a treadmill and tape you running and then play back and show your running style. Then are also more expensive than any shoe store out there, but you feel obliged to pay.

I would educate yourself more as even at those stores the store clerk may not know everything. When I went yrs ago he put me in a shoe for avg weight runners and I am 200+. There are shoes designed for clydesdale runners.

Originally posted by AJG8 View Post
    saucony, mizuno, or asics
    Top three there!

Leave a comment:

• mikeymedic
    replied
    uhhhh, i use Newbalance. We had to do PT in our boots though.

Leave a comment:

• exdrip
    replied
    go into a running shoe, shoe store. In a good one the clerk will look at your feet, check your arches, and find some good shoes for you depending on how you will be using them. And don't go cheap on shoes, the shin splints aren't worth it.

Leave a comment:

• AJG8
    replied
    saucony, mizuno, or asics

Leave a comment:

• fishAK
    replied
    Originally posted by eternal911 View Post
    Definitely visit a professional running store and get what is called a gate analysis where your foot plants, flattens, and toes off. There are 3 running styles: overpronation, neutral, and supination. Overpronation is when your foot rolls to the medial side and supination is where your foot rolls to the lateral side. In order to correct this, grey pieces on the shoe, which are placed either on the inside or outside of the sole along the arch, called medial posts, correct this. Its essential that you figure out which you are before you run in any shoe. Running in the incorrect shoe can cause serious pain and joint problems.

If you don't have a running store near you, have someone watch you run directly away from you and then towards you, and they will see if your feet are pronating, supinating, or if they are not rolling at all. Some of the brands I highly recommend: Asics, New Balance, and Saucony.

PS, never ever EVER run in Nike Shox. They sure look fancy, but cause serious knee problems. A guy came into the store and said he loved running in his Nike Shox, yet he had 3 separate knee operations. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    Just wanted to say thanks for this info. I didn't even know you could do this, or that anyone did. I too have to start getting ready for the academy and have about 4 months of personal PT to get myself in shape, but I have always had a hard time with running distances. I'm somewhat bow-legged, AND was running in Nike Shox...lol. I'll be going to the local runner's store and having them check out my feet. Good info.

Leave a comment:

• BigBird
    replied
    I have run in asics, under armour, saucony and now new balance. +1 on getting your foot/gate looked at by a professional. If you can find a New Balance store they will do it for free. The shoes aren't cheap (I paid 140) but it's worth it, ESPECIALLY if you're running a lot and doing pt daily. I would rate the shoes in this order. New Balance, Asics, Saucony, dont even consider under armour.

Here is the pair of New Balances i got, they are made specifically for running/training (i.e. pt) because of the extra lateral support they have built into the shoe. Plus, new balance has a runners program where you can run in the shoes for two weeks and if they dont work you can exchange for a different shoe.

Leave a comment:

• just joe
    replied
    I can't answer your question...I pay young guys to run so I don't have to.

Leave a comment:

• cbr600_kitty
    replied
    Yeah Nike shox was what I was wearing when I got shin splints. Too bad I never heard anything bad about them until after I was hurt.....lol.

Leave a comment:

• eternal911
    replied
    Definitely visit a professional running store and get what is called a gate analysis where your foot plants, flattens, and toes off. There are 3 running styles: overpronation, neutral, and supination. Overpronation is when your foot rolls to the medial side and supination is where your foot rolls to the lateral side. In order to correct this, grey pieces on the shoe, which are placed either on the inside or outside of the sole along the arch, called medial posts, correct this. Its essential that you figure out which you are before you run in any shoe. Running in the incorrect shoe can cause serious pain and joint problems.

If you don't have a running store near you, have someone watch you run directly away from you and then towards you, and they will see if your feet are pronating, supinating, or if they are not rolling at all. Some of the brands I highly recommend: Asics, New Balance, and Saucony.

PS, never ever EVER run in Nike Shox. They sure look fancy, but cause serious knee problems. A guy came into the store and said he loved running in his Nike Shox, yet he had 3 separate knee operations. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Leave a comment:

• cbr600_kitty
    replied
    Yeah they're mesh....but never had mine near water but I'd bet they're not water resistant.

Might be hard to find a water resistant/waterproof athletic shoe....since athletic shoes sit below your ankle, if you were in even a small puddle you'd be SOL cuz it'd just slosh over the sides of the shoe.

Leave a comment:

• airman3454
    replied
    They look like they are mesh, I will need a shoe that is somewhat waterproof

Leave a comment:

• cbr600_kitty
    replied
    Theyre the Saucony Pro-Grid Paramount 2's.....should be able to click the link I posted and see the women's version that I have.....

Leave a comment:

• airman3454
    replied
    What model are they?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4393 users online. 255 members and 4138 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X