300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoes for daily PT

What's going on all? I signed my official written offer today with my number one pick department wise and I have a very open ended question...

I have been training by running about 30 miles a week and I am running with a strict running shoe. They are Nike Run Avants and they are mesh and extremely lightweight. Our PT occurs every afternoon and my question is should I perform pt in these shoes or should I get more of a cross training type of shoe?

Does anyone have any personal input on this? I don't want to be wearing asphalt running shoes when we are doing various pt activities.

Any thoughts?
    10/05/2009 NOW EMPLOYED!!
    Academy - November 2nd

Check out Under Armour's shoes, if your feet are like mine, it'll be a blessing to have them when you're running.

Also, the lighter the shoe, the less effort for flutter kicks

Comment

Well the question is, how are your feet?
      Academy - November 2nd

Comment

I generally exercise 2-3 hours a day running/sprinting/lifting/situps/pushups, etc.....anyhow....the Nikes I had gave me shin splints....

Changed to Saucony Paramounts and never looked back.....best shoes Ive ever had.

http://saucony.com/ShoeDetails.aspx?...1160,1151,1149
        'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

What model are they?
          Academy - November 2nd

Comment

Theyre the Saucony Pro-Grid Paramount 2's.....should be able to click the link I posted and see the women's version that I have.....

Comment

They look like they are mesh, I will need a shoe that is somewhat waterproof
              Academy - November 2nd

Comment

Yeah they're mesh....but never had mine near water but I'd bet they're not water resistant.

Might be hard to find a water resistant/waterproof athletic shoe....since athletic shoes sit below your ankle, if you were in even a small puddle you'd be SOL cuz it'd just slosh over the sides of the shoe.

Comment

Definitely visit a professional running store and get what is called a gate analysis where your foot plants, flattens, and toes off. There are 3 running styles: overpronation, neutral, and supination. Overpronation is when your foot rolls to the medial side and supination is where your foot rolls to the lateral side. In order to correct this, grey pieces on the shoe, which are placed either on the inside or outside of the sole along the arch, called medial posts, correct this. Its essential that you figure out which you are before you run in any shoe. Running in the incorrect shoe can cause serious pain and joint problems.

If you don't have a running store near you, have someone watch you run directly away from you and then towards you, and they will see if your feet are pronating, supinating, or if they are not rolling at all. Some of the brands I highly recommend: Asics, New Balance, and Saucony.

PS, never ever EVER run in Nike Shox. They sure look fancy, but cause serious knee problems. A guy came into the store and said he loved running in his Nike Shox, yet he had 3 separate knee operations. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
                  Waiting for openings with:
                  Amtrak PD
                  City of Fairfax PD

Comment

Yeah Nike shox was what I was wearing when I got shin splints. Too bad I never heard anything bad about them until after I was hurt.....lol.

Comment

I can't answer your question...I pay young guys to run so I don't have to.

Comment

I have run in asics, under armour, saucony and now new balance. +1 on getting your foot/gate looked at by a professional. If you can find a New Balance store they will do it for free. The shoes aren't cheap (I paid 140) but it's worth it, ESPECIALLY if you're running a lot and doing pt daily. I would rate the shoes in this order. New Balance, Asics, Saucony, dont even consider under armour.

Here is the pair of New Balances i got, they are made specifically for running/training (i.e. pt) because of the extra lateral support they have built into the shoe. Plus, new balance has a runners program where you can run in the shoes for two weeks and if they dont work you can exchange for a different shoe.

http://www.newbalance.com/fitness/training/MX1210/

Comment

Originally posted by eternal911 View Post
                          Definitely visit a professional running store and get what is called a gate analysis where your foot plants, flattens, and toes off. There are 3 running styles: overpronation, neutral, and supination. Overpronation is when your foot rolls to the medial side and supination is where your foot rolls to the lateral side. In order to correct this, grey pieces on the shoe, which are placed either on the inside or outside of the sole along the arch, called medial posts, correct this. Its essential that you figure out which you are before you run in any shoe. Running in the incorrect shoe can cause serious pain and joint problems.

If you don't have a running store near you, have someone watch you run directly away from you and then towards you, and they will see if your feet are pronating, supinating, or if they are not rolling at all. Some of the brands I highly recommend: Asics, New Balance, and Saucony.

PS, never ever EVER run in Nike Shox. They sure look fancy, but cause serious knee problems. A guy came into the store and said he loved running in his Nike Shox, yet he had 3 separate knee operations. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
                          Just wanted to say thanks for this info. I didn't even know you could do this, or that anyone did. I too have to start getting ready for the academy and have about 4 months of personal PT to get myself in shape, but I have always had a hard time with running distances. I'm somewhat bow-legged, AND was running in Nike Shox...lol. I'll be going to the local runner's store and having them check out my feet. Good info.
                          "All that is, ever
                          Ever was, will be, ever
                          Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

saucony, mizuno, or asics

Comment

go into a running shoe, shoe store. In a good one the clerk will look at your feet, check your arches, and find some good shoes for you depending on how you will be using them. And don't go cheap on shoes, the shin splints aren't worth it.
                              "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4888 users online. 269 members and 4619 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X