X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polanski Agreed to Pay Victim $500,000

Roman Polanski was to pay Samantha Geimer a $500,000 settlement
    October 2, 2009 | 2:31 pm

Roman Polanski agreed to pay Samantha Geimer at least $500,000 as part of a settlement after he fled from the U.S. to avoid sentencing for sexually assaulting her, according to court documents reviewed by The Times today.

But the documents indicate that Geimer's attorneys battled with Polanski to get him to pay the settlement, and it remains unclear exactly how much money the director gave her.

Media outlets requested access to the court file for Geimer's civil suit this week after Polanski was arrested in Zurich, Switzerland, in connection with the more than 30-year-old case.

The terms of the settlement were confidential. But many of the details are contained in court filings arising out of Geimer's efforts to get Polanski to pay. The documents were retrieved from archives and made available today in a Los Angeles courthouse.

Geimer filed the civil lawsuit in 1988, accusing the director of, among other things, sexual assault, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress and seduction. Polanski was deposed in Paris in 1993.

In October 1993, Polanski agreed to pay Geimer $500,000 with interest, according to the settlement documents. He was given two years to pay. But her attorneys said in a filing that the director missed the 1995 deadline. At one point, her attorneys attempted to garnish wages to Polanski from movie studios, his agent and the Screen Actors Guild, the records show.

The case file does not make clear if Polanski paid Geimer. The last document in the file is an August 1996 statement saying the director still owed her $604,416.

Geimer was 13 when Polanski plied the aspiring model with Champagne and Quaaludes and told her he was photographing her for French Vogue. The 1977 incident occurred in a bedroom in Jack Nicholson's house. Actress Anjelica Huston, who was also in the home, was a potential witness.

Polanski was arrested in L.A. and pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. He then fled to France.

Geimer, now a mother of four, has said repeatedly and publicly that she thinks Polanski was treated unfairly and expressed a desire for the case to be resolved without prison time.

When Polanski sought to have the rape charge dismissed in 2008, she told The Times she welcomed an opportunity to finally end the case. "It's been a long time," she said. "I don't wish for him to be held to further punishment or consequences."

In 2003 she wrote an opinion piece for The Times saying the case should not be a barrier to Polanski's winning an Academy Award.

Polanski ended up winning best director for "The Pianist."

-- Harriet Ryan

Photo: Samantha Geimer in 2008. Credit: Peter Kramer / Associated Press
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

"Geimer, who long ago identified herself, sued Polanski in December 1988 when she was 25 years old, alleging sexual assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress and seduction. She has since joined in Polanski's bid for dismissal and has forgiven him."

Anybody else wondering WTH??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091003/...i_settlement_7
    Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
    Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

Why do you wonder?

When you finally put something behind you, have four children with questions, friends with opinions (and any number of people passing judgment) how many people would want to tear off the old scab.

Besides, what she thinks doesn't matter....the State is the victim in criminal charges.
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Whooptie do. that will heal the emotional scars.

Comment

Apparently $500K is the going price for forgiveness.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
            But has it been paid?

Comment

Evidently the judgment wasn't paid and it's now at $600,000 because of interest.

I'm too lazy to dig up the article

Comment

$500,000-$600,000, both are pretty powerfull motivators for "forgiveness". Just a few thoughts from my end. The media, in it's typical ignorance, fails to differentiate between a civil and criminal matter. As the "Polanski Saga" continues, we need to be aware of some basic facts. Although the civil and criminal aspects of the case arise from the original unlawful act, they are two seperate and distinct legal venues. The warrant, executed by the Swiss is in response to Polanski commiting the Federal violation of "Unlawful flight to avoid confinement". No one is denying Polanski the right to petition the Court to have the original plea agreement set aside. No one is denying Polanski the right to petition the Court for a new trial. What is being demanded, and it's a reasonable demand, is that Polanski be present, in court, when these motions are made. It is also reasonable to require, that while these motions are before the court, that Polanski remain in either the custody of the Sheriff of Los Angeles County, or the Calif Dept. of Corrections. He is a proven flight risk. Flights to Paris leave LAX on a daily basis. Unless Polanski is in custody, he's a lead pipe cinch to be on one of those flights.

Comment

Regardless of payments or lack thereof Polanski needs to be brought back into criminal court. The child rapist apologists in Hollywood sicken me.
                  Last edited by BrickCop; 10-03-2009, 01:56 PM.
                  Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                      Why do you wonder?

When you finally put something behind you, have four children with questions, friends with opinions (and any number of people passing judgment) how many people would want to tear off the old scab.

Besides, what she thinks doesn't matter....the State is the victim in criminal charges.
                      But how many people would want justice? I see what you're saying though. Oh well.

Comment

Ohhh so that's how much it takes to wipe painful memories out of your mind. Always wondered that.

(smurf beat me to the first sarcastic joke )

Futurelaw89

Comment

Or forgetfulness if he is ever extradited to the U.S. It isn't hard to imagine, that if she is ever questioned as to the extent injuries (detailed in her civil suit) her response would probably be limited to, "I don't recall."

Besides (as Willowdared previously posted), what Geimer does or doesn't think about the case isn't important. At most, she might be a witness if the case is retried. The real victim is the State of California and chances are the conviction will stand.
                          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

What surprises me is that the records indicate that he did not pay the money. So I would expect Geimer to want to go after him.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                              Or forgetfulness if he is ever extradited to the U.S. It isn't hard to imagine, that if she is ever questioned as to the extent injuries (detailed in her civil suit) her response would probably be limited to, "I don't recall."

Besides (as Willowdared previously posted), what Geimer does or doesn't think about the case isn't important. At most, she might be a witness if the case is retried. The real victim is the State of California and chances are the conviction will stand.
                              He has already been convicted. He bailed out of the country to avoid confinement for the conviction, so that is a moot point. I can see her wanting him back in CONUS though. He will be easier to find for that money he owes her.
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by Smurfette
                              Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                              Originally posted by DAL
                              You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6153 users online. 321 members and 5832 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X