Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Car Airbags?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Police Car Airbags?

    This may be silly but why doesn't the airbag in police cars go off when you see them slam into vehicles for pit maneuvers and so forth?
    Thank you to all of you who serve as men and women in law enforcement - we sleep better at night because of your dedication to duty!

  • #2
    If you do the PIT maneuver correctly, there is no slamming and absoultly no damage to either vehicle due to the vehicles contacting each other.

    My beat partner passed out at work while driving and ended up hopping a curb and crashing into a bank. His airbag deployed!
    Last edited by Feb2nd1979; 10-02-2009, 06:04 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Because generally PITs aren't done by rear ending the BG.

      Comment


      • #4
        PIT???I just shoot out the tires with my side arm while driving in reverse in front of them.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
          PIT???I just shoot out the tires with my side arm while driving in reverse in front of them.
          You must be one of them State Trooper Fancy Shootin Boys!
          Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
            You must be one of them State Trooper Fancy Shootin Boys!
            I wish. them boys can give the finger at the same time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by StudChris View Post
              Because generally PITs aren't done by rear ending the BG.
              DANG!!!

              Is that why I'm on my second patrol car this year.

              I need remedial training asap, cause im sitting in the office now, and dont wanna get in the car and drive anymore, im nervous now.















              Ahhh, the H**L with it, Im going back to work.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                Because generally PITs aren't done by rear ending the BG.
                LOL

                Comment


                • #9
                  I smoked a deer while responding to a domestic. My air bag went off!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Without being tooo technical, the airbags should only deploy when the sensors fitted to the car detect either a pre-determined deceleration rate or impact loading. That then will trigger a small explosive charge which then deploys the airbag.

                    A pit manouvre should not trigger the deployment of an airbag unless the driver of the car being pitted catches the LEO unaware by suddenly braking and stopping, causing the LEO to collide with that car.
                    If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bushranger View Post
                      Without being tooo technical, the airbags should only deploy when the sensors fitted to the car detect either a pre-determined deceleration rate or impact loading. That then will trigger a small explosive charge which then deploys the airbag.

                      A pit manouvre should not trigger the deployment of an airbag unless the driver of the car being pitted catches the LEO unaware by suddenly braking and stopping, causing the LEO to collide with that car.
                      Thanks! I've wondered if they have cars outfitted with a switch like they have for passengers in some vehicles. It just seems like you never see them going off when cruisers are involved in really nasty wrecks during pursuits.
                      Thank you to all of you who serve as men and women in law enforcement - we sleep better at night because of your dedication to duty!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I wish I could PIT someone and then tell my sergeant, in a Deep South accent, "I wasn't tryin' to put him into the wall, I was just lettin' him know I was back there. The Motorola/7-11/Starbucks Ford was drivin' real good out there, real good!"
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

                        I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My department will have a heart attack if a bird even takes a dump on your car much less having you do a pit on somebody...lol..now that I think about it I have not seen or heard of any agency doing a pit manuever down here in deep south texas. I know DPS is pretty aggressive with there pursuits but like I said..I have never personally seen or heard of any agency doing one...I know they DO however like to spike strip everybody and their mother! <--DPS I mean..Its always nice to have a trooper near by when theres a pursuit....there allowed to do the dirty stuff we are not allowed to! Oh and as for the airbags....they do deploy if you wreck out. Atleast the ones in our units do anyways.. Be safe out there!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Feb2nd1979 View Post
                            If you do the PIT maneuver correctly, there is no slamming and absoultly no damage to either vehicle due to the vehicles contacting each other.

                            My beat partner passed out at work while driving and ended up hopping a curb and crashing into a bank. His airbag deployed!
                            NO damage at ALL ?? Honest question..........

                            Bill
                            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              there is a poster on here from gerogia who i work with, and he hit a POT HOLE sunday, and his air bag deployed in his face and burned his arm. now that was funny, and random.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 2713 users online. 145 members and 2568 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X