Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vallejo Police Outsource Report Writing

From: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...-62428102.html

The police department in cash-strapped Vallejo, Calif., may have found a way to save a little money.

The Police Department is now using a transcription service based in Tennessee -- Nashville-McLintock Transcription and Consulting Services -- to write up its police reports.

The reports are dictated into a digital audio file then sent via a secure connection to Nashville-McClintock, where retired law-enforcement officials write them up.

The practice is less expensive than hiring new personnel and could possibly elicit more details from officers who might otherwise keep it brief if they had to do the typing themselves.

The University of California at San Francisco learned that the hard way when a transcriptionist in Pakistan threatened to release confidential patient records in order to force an employer to make good on wages.

Besides rogue transcriptionists, the secure connection could be compromised and an unscrupulous third-party contractor could sub-contract the work to a cheaper, and less experienced outfit.

But at least department morale should get a boost. Nobody likes typing.

You seem to have dropped something between the third and fourth paragraphs.

This practice is not especially innovative. Other departments have used dictation to a tape recorder, with the transcriber calling in to access the tape.

I do not like dictation because it is serial rather than random-access. Correcting errors is awkward and the resultant text is not as well organized as if you type into a word processor. Whenever I dictated anything, I would have to read and edit what came back before I would release the final product.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Or when the disgruntled transcriptionist leaves out any words they cant understand or hear instead of sending it back for editing. So fun to get your report for court the next day and see blanks on the report or the words "unreadable" typed into the report. Thankfully....that didnt last long and its much better now.

Comment

Still think I'll stick to doing it myself. I atleast trust myself to do it right the first time with accuracy...well accuracy the second time.

Comment

I got something that is even cheaper than a transcriptionist

Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Well that's interesting... I didn't know that there were agencies that had their officers use transcription.

Weird.

I'd much rather do it myself. I type my narratives in MS Word then paste them into our records software.
            All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
              Well that's interesting... I didn't know that there were agencies that had their officers use transcription.

Weird.
              Yeah, it was news to me as well. I only have a few years on with my department and outside of how things are done in the metro area, I have no idea what's common practice in other departments.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable having someone else type up my reports. I don't care if they are retired popo or not, if my name is attached, I want to be the one doing the writing.
              Last edited by marcusindc; 09-30-2009, 07:07 AM.

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/07/...ion/index.html
                Last edited by Nobody; 10-08-2009, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Sometimes I help write reports for the deputies, we auxiliary are useful for something, lol.
                  "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post

Weird.

I'd much rather do it myself. I type my narratives in MS Word then paste them into our records software.

Yeah, we have one. I never use it. It's much faster for me to type it myself.

When I have to tell someone what to write it's adding a middleman and wasting time.

I know some of the older guys use it though, I know one guy who always goes to transcription.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5111 users online. 315 members and 4796 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X