Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime Statistics

Hello all,
    I have a few questions about crime statistics. Wouldn't hiring more officers to a department actually cause crime statistics to go up due to more officers catching more crime? If so, How would one get accurate statistics on on crime in a city, not just based on the arrest? Is it even possible to have accurate statistics? Would crime statistics based on arrest go up momentarily, then drop after the new officers have been on the street for a while? Which leads me to my next question, How would a police department that hires more police officers explain the rise in the "crime."

Just a curious mind,
    RangerMan

I've never heard of crime rising because of additional officer being added to a department, let alone patrol, atleast nothing that was stated with factual evidence. The FBI usually compiles crime statistics through Uniform Crime Reports in a CIUS publication (Crimes in US). The FBI uses CIUS to compile the volume of rates of crimes and offenses for the nation, states and individual agencies. The CIUS report includes arrest, clearance and LE data. There has never been a justified case in which the increase presence of law enforcement had an increase on crime within populations. Actually, an increase in law enforcement presence has been known to be a deterrent in crime in most areas.

http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/
    Last edited by az4code23; 09-28-2009, 07:27 PM.
    "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

The number of incidents may go up, because of pro-active police work, but the number of cases being closed arrest vs being left open would be a more accurate way of crunching numbers. This would show that the number of arrests have gone up, not crime.

Comment

Good point. Thanks!

Comment

Crime gets reported whether the police are there are not (generally). More crimes might be resolved and quicker if there was more LE.

Comment

I should of thought it through more. I didn't think about the fact that the crime being reported and the arrest as 2 different elements. Thanks for all the comments!

Comment

Ours went down when i got on due to the show of force. having more vehicles out there and more frequently was a great crime deterrent.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5518 users online. 341 members and 5177 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X