300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paging patrol leo's

ok, I have a minor rant and let me say I don't mean to offend anyone. as implied by my user name I drive a tow truck; a local agency (I'm not really narrowing it down because we tow for about 5 different ones) called for a two car accident and requested a flatbed and a wrecker.

now for the rant: if you won't try to be a tow truck driver I won't try and be a cop, deal? ". I assume they called for the flatbed because of a sorta smashed AWD car in the median. sorry 1: I really don't want want to take a 15,000lb flatbed into a median and get stuck. 2: its much quicker to get in and out with just a wrecker and dollies.

now I fully realize (and appreciate) that the officers mean well BUT 98% of recoveries can be handled with just a wrecker. but short of a car that has no wheels left or is destroyed beyond recognition, a wrecker can do just fine. don't get me wrong, a flatbed is a great thing to have and it certainly has its place but please let the wrecker operator get there and determine if its needed. and IF it is, believe me I/they will have one coming to the scene asap.

thanks all, stay safe

I was (and still am) an ASE Master Certified Auto Technician. When I got of the academy I couldn't get a job for nearly a year. I took a temp job as a tow truck driver. I now work, and have for 4 years, as a road patrol deputy. I have never had a tow guy complain about my judgment when calling for a flatbed/wrecker.

I have also learned that different towing companies use different and not so correct techniques for vehicle recovery. When I drove for the towing company, I was trained by a owner/operater sporting his WreckMaster patches proudly on his jacket. It's funny to watch how different companies do business.

It's possible that this officer has adjusted his/herself to what other tow companies would want in a given situation. Give em a brake. They made that call to help out you, him/her, and the rest of the motorists wanting to travel that road.

Comment

Last edited by fordman318; 03-29-2010, 12:21 AM.

Comment

We have 2 companies that tow for us. One is a huge company with 30-40 trucks. The other is a small company that has (2) trucks and a junk yard. The small one needs the business and bends over backwards to get a tow. I tow quite a bit of cars, so they are more than appreciative for it and would bring a spaceship if I requested it and never say a word.
        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

I was a tow driver for a couple of years before I became a police officer. I will call for whatever truck I need. The tow company always responds with a smile on their faces, and the drivers do a great job without complaining. Hint?
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Smurfette
          Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
          Originally posted by DAL
          You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

My question for you is, why does your flatbed not have enough winch cable to reach a vehicle in a median? I've worked work a company that has 2 Medium Duty wreckers and 15 flatbeds, I have never, ever had to call the wreckers out to get a vehicle out of anywhere, unless it was psychically to big for me to tow.

There's been many times that traffic was an issue, and all I had was a rollback, I would simply hook the bridal up, loosen the winch, have the LEOs on scene block the road, and pull out load up, and be back on the side of the road in less than 2 minutes, freeing traffic up again.

You really need to give yourself some time to learn how versatile a rollback can be with a little practice, and a longer winch cable

Comment

Don't you get paid either way?

Comment

Wow, a lot of tow truck drivers here.

Comment

When I'm on a traffic accident I will request the wrecker I think is needed to do the job. I have a lot of things to do besides waiting for a truck to show up and then have to wait for another because the wrecker wanted to bring the little truck out first.

We have to direct traffic, get statements, issue citations, and then type up a report. We don't need to wait around for wreckers. In the last city I worked at if the 1st wrecker wasn't on scene within 20 minutes they would call the next one on rotation. If the 1st wrecker shows up in the mean time he gets to turn around and go home with no tow and wasted gas. Towing companies get a lot of business pulling for police and I've never had a problem one.

My suggestion would be if you don't like the officer requesting a specific size truck based on his experience then pull your name from the dispatch rotation so a wrecker who wants the business can fill in.
                  Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

I drove one, yep, in a perfect world the right truck would magically appear!

Feel better now? I for one still don't care!
                    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Hey, we all did something else first

Comment

wow I really must have touched a nerve here. don't get me wrong, if dispatch calls for a flatbed thats what is sent (and yes I get paid either way). but it seems that 9 times out of 10 I could've done the tow with my normal wrecker.

like I said, I'm not trying to flame anyone

Comment

Towguy, I decide what type of wrecker I want at scenes because I am responsible for getting the street clear ASAP also, if I call for a wrecker and the vehicle is damaged to where it can be towed with a wrecker but may not be really safe to be towed that way then rather than take the chance of causing a major hazard to others on the roads I call for a flat bed. I go with the wrecker for minor wrecks and traffic violations and arrest, and flatbeds if I even suspect towing it after such wreck might put the public on the roadways in ANY danger. Thats my responsiblity. I'v seen wreckers who will take chances but ultimately it's my responsiblity if I see and allow them to haul something out of the crash scene that is unsafe or in an unsafe manner. Our wreckers are HEAVILY regulated. We can turn them away if they come out without a company shirt on at 0300am. Overall we have no problem with our tow guys though. Plus, we have like 16 that we use so they can be taken off the rotation list easy and we wouldn't miss'em.
                          Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

What does it matter? You're towing a car either way and getting some business. Does it matter what truck you use? Does it hurt you any to drive a flat bed?
                            When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

Originally posted by towguy View Post
                              wow I really must have touched a nerve here. don't get me wrong, if dispatch calls for a flatbed thats what is sent (and yes I get paid either way). but it seems that 9 times out of 10 I could've done the tow with my normal wrecker.

like I said, I'm not trying to flame anyone

No nerves touched, just laying down the facts fom our perspective.
                              Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4851 users online. 292 members and 4559 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X