300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFPD guards the Newsoms' delivery room

When I see these things I ask myself, do I still really want to pursue this.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...id=48077&tsp=1

It hasn't just been family, friends, doctors and nurses filing in and out of Jennifer Siebel Newsom's room at California Pacific Medical Center since she gave birth Friday. We hear officers with the San Francisco Police Department have been providing around-the-clock security, as well.

The mayor's usual security detail have been trailing him to the hospital, City Hall and elsewhere over the past few days, but we hear officers are always present at the hospital, too.

Mike Kepka/The Chronicle

Do you think they change diapers?
    Mayoral security has been a hot topic at City Hall recently, with Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi grilling command staff on how much taxpayer money is being spent to protect Newsom when he's on vacation or campaigning for governor.

So far, nobody's divulging anything - and Mirkarimi has submitted legislation requiring elected officials to reimburse the city for security costs while campaigning. It will likely be heard in committee soon.

As usual in this debate, neither Newsom's office or the police department is saying much about police officers standing guard at CPMC. It won't be for long in any case: Siebel Newsom is due to check out today.

"I am not going to comment about the arrangements made to protect the mayor and his family," said Newsom's spokesman, Nathan Ballard. "These decisions are made by the police department."

"Based on their high profile, it's probably something we would do," said police Sgt. Lyn Tomioka. "I don't think it's beyond the realm of his security detail, but I don't know one way or the other."

A spokesman with CPMC couldn't say either, but did note the hospital has a strong security team in place for all new moms and babies.

Interestingly, one of the biggest battles in the recent budget fight between Newsom and the Board of Supervisors was the mayor's unsuccessful drive to outsource security at San Francisco General Hospital, a far grittier place than CPMC in the posh Laurel Heights neighborhood.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...#ixzz0Rr5HcmPp

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

Not taking sides here, only making these observations. Many Mayors have Police Security Details, as do most Governors. I served on the latter for several years. In most cases, there are laws/ strict guidelines in place as to who pays for what when it comes to vacations, political campaigns etc. Can't say I'm, familiar with the specifics of SFPD operations with respect to the Mayor. Do people have a right to know? Certainly, in terms of operational costs etc. Specifics which would compromise the safety of the protectees are off the table though.

Comment

Why does a mayor need a security detail? He's just a mayor - not any kind of really important or high-level official, just a city mayor. If he needs protection, he can get a CCW.

Okay, sorry if anyone's ribs hurt from laughing at that last line. But seriously, mayors have security details and drivers because they have inflated egos and want to cultivate an image of being a big shot. If Newsom really needs protection that badly, maybe he should be doing something about the crime in SF.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

A CCW in San Francisco???????????? Get the **** outta here.

Got to be the funniest thing I have ever heard!
        Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
        --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
          A CCW in San Francisco???????????? Get the **** outta here.

Got to be the funniest thing I have ever heard!
          Dianne Feinstein got one when she was on the Board of Supervisors.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

[QUOTE=ateamer;1990640]Why does a mayor need a security detail? /QUOTE]

It all depends on the current threat level against him.

It is common for persons to make threats of injury or death against politicians and their families for perceived or imagined slights. The higher the office, the more frequent and serious the threats. It would be one thing if we were talking about Podunk. But given the size of San Francisco and the ongoing controversy that has surrounded its politics for years, it would surprise me if any mayor and his family didn't have a security detail of some sort.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Wow where the hell is the Sheriffs dept? They're supposed to be providing security for City Hall and the hospitals-shouldn't they provide Mayoral security?
              And from a friend in the dept, their really, really short handed right now. Like BAD.

Comment

Originally posted by OliverR View Post
                Wow where the hell is the Sheriffs dept? They're supposed to be providing security for City Hall and the hospitals-shouldn't they provide Mayoral security?
                And from a friend in the dept, their really, really short handed right now. Like BAD.
                Good question. But it's not a question of facility security,it's one of public official protection.

San Francisco is both a city and a county combined. Who within the city and county government is empowered to designate which agency is responsible for providing dignitary protection? Which agency did they designate?
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

You only have to go back to November 1978 and the assassinations of Supervisor Harvey Milk and San Francisco Mayor George Moscone INSIDE CITY HALL to understand the need for security.
                  My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It’s a necessity unfortunately in this day and age, but I can agree that some city hall heroes have a big detail to protect not only them but there ego.
                    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      You only have to go back to November 1978 and the assassinations of Supervisor Harvey Milk and San Francisco Mayor George Moscone INSIDE CITY HALL to understand the need for security.
                      If I remember didnt Dan White go through a basement window?
                      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                        If I remember didnt Dan White go through a basement window?
                        I believe so.................
                        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                          Good question. But it's not a question of facility security,it's one of public official protection.

San Francisco is both a city and a county combined. Who within the city and county government is empowered to designate which agency is responsible for providing dignitary protection? Which agency did they designate?
                          True-in which case I believe the PD/City Supervisors have the power-the way it was explained to me by a friend whos been with the dept. for a while is that the PD calls all the shots (2000+ uniformed, the big HQ, etc.) while the SD (lower numbers, smaller dept.) deals with prisoners and the jails (he even said that the PD had some of the jail responsibilitys and of course the OES stuff, SF is like the only city and county in CA like that and its a special case) and that it was recently that the SD got extended for these "patrol duties" etc and that in reality they really don't do too much (altho the wiki says otherwise..) Either way the PD is really strained but the mayor needs to be protected and IMO he shouldn't have to shell out his own personal money for that, because he is the Mayor after all. What if this happened in NY or LA? Same case as far as im concerned. SF isn't that small of a town lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5051 users online. 282 members and 4769 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X