• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO shot by deputy friend after startling him

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...1a30252d5.html
    Man shot in the leg after startling deputy friend

10:32 PM CDT on Monday, September 21, 2009
    Associated Press

BANDERA, Texas - Be careful who you say "Boo!" to.

A Bandera County jailer was shot in the thigh after he jumped out and roared at a deputy in a darkened room at Bandera County Sheriff's Department office.

Chief Deputy Don Berger says Deputy A.J. Griffin shot 22-year-old Daniel Spengler before dawn Sunday. Spengler was airlifted to Wilford Hall Medical Center in San Antonio for treatment.

Berger says the 36-year-old deputy "revert to his training" when the jailer jumped at him, shooting Spengler once, then giving him first aid.

Griffin is on paid leave until the Texas Rangers complete their investigation. Berger says Spengler's wound does not appear to be life-threatening, but he faces possible disciplinary action after he recovers.

Bandera is about 40 miles west of San Antonio.
    sigpic
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Reverted to his training...

Comment

Originally posted by flydream777 View Post
      Reverted to his training...
      I hope your reflexes/training would produce similiar results my friend. Jail+dark room+unknown subject surprising you=BANG. Nuff said.

Comment

Let someone roll up on me like that, I would have decked him twice with both my fists, and they still would have had to air lift him, cause he would be cold knocked out!
        "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

The fact that the officer had a gun tells me he wasn't in the jail at the time. Still, while in firearms training we learned something about any time you decide to fire your weapon, you have to know what you are firing at. Shooting wildly into the dark does not ever seem appropriate to me.
          Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

Originally posted by JayhawkFan View Post
            The fact that the officer had a gun tells me he wasn't in the jail at the time. Still, while in firearms training we learned something about any time you decide to fire your weapon, you have to know what you are firing at. Shooting wildly into the dark does not ever seem appropriate to me.
            The article states the jailer jumped out and "roared" at the deputy in DARKENED room at the Sheriff's Office.
            That tells me it was probably in a secured area of the Department, where you would not expect anyone to be. It said darkened not pitch black, so I would expect to be able to see at least an outline of the attacker.

Yep I said attacker.......................an armed deputy with LEO training would revert to that training and repel the attacker. Firing at darker mass is possible in a darkened room.The deputy did what he thought he had to do to go home to his family at the end of his shift.

The jailer made a very poor decision in trying to scare the deputy.
            Bet he learned his lesson. Lucky he is able to re-think his actions.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

should have identified the subject first

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                should have identified the subject first
                Nope

Not if he is being attacked...............................anyone attacking an LEO is fair game.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  Nope

Not if he is being attacked...............................anyone attacking an LEO is fair game.
                  The media prolly isn't telling the whole story. However I have to agree with Mikeymedic on this one...based on the facts stated in the article. The Deputy was startled not attacked....and yes he should have identified his target prior to discharging his weapon.

You can be startled while searching a building, park or perhaps sitting in your car....that's on you!!!

As for "reverted to his training"....I'm not buying it.

We will see how this plays out.
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                    The media prolly isn't telling the whole story. However I have to agree with Mikeymedic on this one...based on the facts stated in the article. The Deputy was startled not attacked....and yes he should have identified his target prior to discharging his weapon.
                    He did. He identified a large moving mass, making noise and approaching in the dark, simulating an attack. He subsequently shot that large moving mass, causing it to make more noise, but stopping the approach.

You can be startled while searching a building, park or perhaps sitting in your car....that's on you!!!
                    No, it's on the startler. I got startled once while searching a building. My training reverted, and a load of #4 buck dispatched the startler. I also neglected to ID him until after he fell. I did not attend the funeral.

As for "reverted to his training"....I'm not buying it.
                    That's good...saves you money that you can put into a burial fund for when you "get startled" by a POS and decide to identify him (politely, I'm sure) while he's pumping lead in your general direction.
                    The Power
                    Romans 13:2-4
                    Law Enforcement Officers for the Constitution

Comment

What strikes me as strange here is that we have a sleeping room inside our station and other PDs have them, too. The likelihood of being attacked in the station is low, but disturbances are common. We haven't had any shootings, and I have not heard of any at other stations, either.

Next thing I know, you'll be criticizing the deputy for not shooting his friend center mass.
                      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/07/...ion/index.html
                        Last edited by Nobody; 10-08-2009, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                          over react much? I'm glad there's no jumpy officers like you around where I work - so much horseplay there'd be a massacre for sure
                          In 16 years, I "over-reacted" 9 times. All 9 were armed, and in the commission of a felony. 4 of them were specifically after me (found out after the fact.)

I went home to my family every night, and slept well.

I'm now 69 yoa, and still sleep well...and although my reflexes are just a tad slower, I can still (and will) react.

As for horseplay? Been party to a whole heapin' helpin' of that. The difference, I would surmise, is that the horseplay didn't involve absolute stupidity (such as yelling boo at an armed officer in a darkened room).
                          The Power
                          Romans 13:2-4
                          Law Enforcement Officers for the Constitution

Comment

Originally posted by HankB View Post
                            In 16 years, I "over-reacted" 9 times. All 9 were armed, and in the commission of a felony. 4 of them were specifically after me (found out after the fact.)

I went home to my family every night, and slept well.

I'm now 69 yoa, and still sleep well...and although my reflexes are just a tad slower, I can still (and will) react.

As for horseplay? Been party to a whole heapin' helpin' of that. The difference, I would surmise, is that the horseplay didn't involve absolute stupidity (such as yelling boo at an armed officer in a darkened room).
                            There is a huge difference between shooting at someone who surprised you at the scene of an armed robbery, and shooting at someone who surprised you in a dark office setting inside the sheriff's office.
                            Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

^^^ yes there is ^^^

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4445 users online. 244 members and 4201 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X