Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you perform a traffic stop on your way home?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you perform a traffic stop on your way home?

Just another curious thread to see how many of you would perform a traffic stop on a vehicle in violation (i.e tail light out, expired tags etc) while on your way home? Do you go 10-7 (out of service) at the end of your shift or when you pull into the drive way?
    "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

....I know guys that do it all the time. Some officers are known to call out on a traffic stop while on the way to roll call if they are running late.
    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

I have done it, but don't make a habit of it. I'm still on duty until I get home. Since I live outside my jurisdiction, I won't be stopping cars outside the city, but have come upon a wreck or wounded animal that I've called the SO for and stood by until they got there.

If I stop a car en route to the house, it's something that needs to be taken care of....DWI would be the most common.
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I tend to put my blinders on if I'm on my way home, but I have a few times in the past. I do not go 10-7 until I'm pulling into the driveway for several reasons. 1- they will not still have me logged into the CAD system and it will take them longer to enter the stop if I'm not logged in. 2- If I do stop something after signing off and get hurt, they may give me a hard time with workers comp when I'm technically off duty. 3- Backup may not be as expediant as normal since it's during shift change. A DUI would be something to warrant a stop, but most other things would be negative.

Comment

Neg, when I'm off-duty, I'm not driving a patrol car. And you can bet that I'm not making a stop in my POV unless someone's life is in danger. Everything else can be handled by reporting it to dispatch and letting on-duty officers know.

Comment

No stops for simple traffic infractions on the way home. The tour is over. Hell, I don't even stop them while on duty.

But I have run plates on the way home if there seems to be some criminality afoot....
            Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

I have before...it depends on how bad the 'pull' is on wanting to stop them.

I've also done it on the way into work, while signed onto the CAD but out of service. Got in a pursuit that day.

Normally, no, I want to get home to my family as quickly as possible.
              Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I try to get one once a week on the way home or on the way to roll call.
                In Memory of A Fallen Hero

Comment

I will, I tend to not make it a habit. I stay in-service until I pull in the driveway.

Comment

No. If the infringement was serious enough to warrant further attention, I would phone it in to comms (Your dispatch) with the relevant information. If enforcement action is taken against that driver,I'd willingly provide a statement.
                    If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

In service as long as I'm in a marked unit. I will pull traffic on the way home if i'm going to write them a coupon. It happens frequently enough driving on a major highway. You always have that one guy that is blind to red and blues and way stupid. They really don't give you a choice.
                      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Do it all the time. When we get off shift we immediately go on call so there is really no difference of a few extra minutes.

Comment

It's a coin toss because usually I'm ready for bed and just want to get home. Made a stop at 3:06 two nights ago and hooked another drunk..

Comment

It depends on the seriousness of the violation and how tired I am.
                            Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Yep, all the time. But I live in my RD's and I'm on logged on untill the bike is parked in my garage.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6228 users online. 329 members and 5899 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X