Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ah, the old bear at the bus stop run. Again.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ah, the old bear at the bus stop run. Again.

    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-23109,00.html

    A BEAR was shot dead overnight after it attacked nine people, including tourists, at a bus station in a mountainous area of central Japan, Kyodo news agency reported.
    Four men were seriously injured in the attack in Takayama, Gifu prefecture, Kyodo said, quoting local police.

    Injuries included facial bite marks but none were life-threatening.

    After the afternoon attack, the 1.3-metre (four-foot) male black bear fled into the bus terminal building, where it was trapped in a souvenir shop by employees.

    It was later shot dead by hunters, Kyodo said.

    An expert on Asian black bears told the agency it was unusual for them to attack humans and suggested it may have panicked.

    The bus station is at the end of a scenic road where buses take tourists through the spectacular mountain scenery between May and October.

    A company that manages the terminal for the Takayama city government said it had received reports of bear sightings in the area this year, but had not taken countermeasures such as setting up a fence around the facility.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

  • #2
    Good thing it was hunters who dispatched the bear!

    Otherwise reams of reports would have been generated by an Officer and the Chief would have to be notified lest a door rattler snitch him out.





    Wonder how many shots were fired and if it was in the City limits?
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"


    The real deal

    Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
      Good thing it was hunters who dispatched the bear!

      Otherwise reams of reports would have been generated by an Officer and the Chief would have to be notified lest a door rattler snitch him out.





      Wonder how many shots were fired and if it was in the City limits?
      I was thinking the same thing...waiting for kingsman to chime in with his abundant knowledge.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm pretty sure the police in Japan don't carry guns so I don't think they would have been much help. I wonder who gets to keep the pelt?

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm much more a lurker than a poster, but I thought I'd jump in on this one.

          A year ago next week, I was actually in Takayama, Japan, and did a 2 hour hike through the hills surrounding the town. By myself. Nothing in the tourist brochures mentioned anything about bears.

          Of the 10 or 12 police officers I saw in Japan, only 1 had a gun. It was in a full coverage holster (best way I can explain it) and seemed to be attached to his belt by a bungee cord.

          Perhaps I'll skip the nature walks if I ever go back to Japan.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PacNW View Post
            I'm much more a lurker than a poster, but I thought I'd jump in on this one.

            A year ago next week, I was actually in Takayama, Japan, and did a 2 hour hike through the hills surrounding the town. By myself. Nothing in the tourist brochures mentioned anything about bears.

            Of the 10 or 12 police officers I saw in Japan, only 1 had a gun. It was in a full coverage holster (best way I can explain it) and seemed to be attached to his belt by a bungee cord.

            Perhaps I'll skip the nature walks if I ever go back to Japan.
            I'm never going anywhere that I can't have a gun.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
              Good thing it was hunters who dispatched the bear!

              Otherwise reams of reports would have been generated by an Officer and the Chief would have to be notified lest a door rattler snitch him out.





              Wonder how many shots were fired and if it was in the City limits?
              Hopefully the hunters did not leave there post, but thats another story. But I'm just speaking as a GS-7 making GS-9 pay.
              It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Till View Post
                I'm never going anywhere that I can't have a gun.
                Not even to visit? I know crime happens everywhere, so I was careful everywhere I went, but I felt extremely safe in Japan. Helps that I'm about 6 inches taller than the average Japanese. I wouldn't want to live there for many reasons though, the extremely restrictive gun (and knife) laws being the least of them.

                I wonder who got to eat the bear, and did they cook it first? I don't understand enough Japanese to know what was going on in the tv shows I watched there, but the impression I got was that the more unusual and more raw the meat, the more of a delicacy it's considered. And that didn't just apply to fish.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PacNW View Post
                  Not even to visit?
                  Nope.

                  Pretty much any international destination, but Japan, China, the UK, and Mexico are especially off-limits.

                  Comment

                  MR300x250 Tablet

                  Collapse

                  What's Going On

                  Collapse

                  There are currently 3221 users online. 145 members and 3076 guests.

                  Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                  Welcome Ad

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X