Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine_Infantry
    replied
    I've arrested military officers and I've never had a problem with rank.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    Originally posted by OrlandoExp103 View Post
    How DAL explained just seems really inefficient, and sounds like it would tie a lot of people up and get everyone, up to and including the base commander, involved over one person or incident for notifications and approvals. That's a lot of trouble to go through when a regular civilian officer could just "cuff him and stuff him."
    Of course it is inefficient; it's the military. But it's not as bad as you think. I distinguished between the "officer in charge" and the CO or XO. The "officer in charge" is usually a junior officer who is on call. When I had the duty, I rarely got called. Situations where officers got apprehended were rare, as were situations where there was a need to keep the person apprehended in custody. The procedure bears some similarity to those in state courts in Virginia and Maryland, where a person who is physically arrested must be taken before a magistrate immediately.
    Last edited by DAL; 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OrlandoExp103
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Errr.....that's changing..... A lot of Instillations have civilians running the show now......
    Ya, my step dad was talking with a buddy that just got out of the Corp about a month or two ago that was an MP. When he went to sign up to continue his enlistment he was told he would have to go to infantry because they are replacing ALL of the MP's with civilian officers, with the topic of this thread being one of the reasons. A high ranking officer can't try to intimidate someone that's not anywhere in their chain of command.

How DAL explained just seems really inefficient, and sounds like it would tie a lot of people up and get everyone, up to and including the base commander, involved over one person or incident for notifications and approvals. That's a lot of trouble to go through when a regular civilian officer could just "cuff him and stuff him."
    Last edited by OrlandoExp103; 09-18-2009, 04:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mcgruff338
    replied
    I was an Army MP from 71-74 and our typical response to someone who out ranked us and was involved in criminal activity was "don't confuse your rank with my authority".

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    I was just tossing out an FYI..... as things are changing.....and going to change even more in the near future...
    And they probably should, because law enforcement is far too complicated and requires far too much discretion and judgment to be entrusted to average 19-year-olds with little training. Public expectations have increased over the years.

I was in the Navy, which did not even attempt to use sailors or marines for law enforcement, for good reason.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by DAL View Post
    As I said, my response was based upon the way things were many, many years ago.
    I was just tossing out an FYI..... as things are changing.....and going to change even more in the near future...

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    Errr.....that's changing..... A lot of Instillations have civilians running the show now......
    As I said, my response was based upon the way things were many, many years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    On Army bases, there is normally a Provost Marshal, a commissioned officer whose duties include supervising the MPs,

Leave a comment:

• Minnesotan
    replied
    We have Seaman Recruits (E-1s) on patrol here. I'm an E-2 and do I patrol more days than not. If we witness a violation or we are called to a disturbance or a scene we are in control. We are respectful towards higher ranking personnel. However, there is a reason why we were called there or there is a reason why we stopped the said individual. It doesn't matter what their rank is if they violated the law or base policy. I wish I had a nickel every time an officer or a chief tried to punk me because I'm a junior sailor. Thankfully, our watch commanders and security officer have our backs.

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    There are very few MP's on patrol now a days anyways. At the bases in my areas most DUI's are cite and release after being apprehended. Any "arrest" is done by a commissioned officer of the various branches.

Any MP/NCO/Warrant Officer/Commissioned Officer can do an apprehension for a violation of the UCMJ. When I was an SP, I got a 1 star for DUI. He was given a reprimand for the violation.

As a civilian police officer for both the army and navy at Walter Reed and the Naval District Of Washington, it was not uncommon to stop or apprehend a commissioned officer.

Leave a comment:

• Till
    replied
    Originally posted by KY Blue 72 View Post
    Why is that?
    For some reason A Few Good Men popped into my head when I read about a lower ranking officer going after a higher-ranking one.

Disregard.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    These days there are a lot of young kids that are MPs. Believe it or not, I have seen more PFCs as MPs than I have SPCs. That might just be coincidence but they are definitely not that high in rank.
    I am sure there are. I just thought the really junior ones would be guarding gates or at least working with someone more senior. Eighteen-year-olds are generally not very good at exercising judgment. At least they get more law=enforcement training now, from what I have heard. I think MP school was only six weeks back in the 70s.

Leave a comment:

• KY Blue 72
    replied
    I would hope that the MPs who patrol (rather than guard gates) would have a bit more experience.

Many years ago, when I was doing my ACDUTRA at NSA I rode around with the Ft. Meade MPs one night for lack of anything better to do. I think they were mostly E4s. We went to a few disturbances. I think the most senior personnel we encountered were E6s. I outranked everyone and was in uniform and that seemed to end matters.
    These days there are a lot of young kids that are MPs. Believe it or not, I have seen more PFCs as MPs than I have SPCs. That might just be coincidence but they are definitely not that high in rank.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    Seeing as how many of the MPs running around are PFCs and SPCs, yes arresting of higher rank occurs often.
    I would hope that the MPs who patrol (rather than guard gates) would have a bit more experience.

Many years ago, when I was doing my ACDUTRA at NSA I rode around with the Ft. Meade MPs one night for lack of anything better to do. I think they were mostly E4s. We went to a few disturbances. I think the most senior personnel we encountered were E6s. I outranked everyone and was in uniform and that seemed to end matters.

Leave a comment:

• VA Dutch
    replied
    Mp

Look at how many commissioned officers (many of them field grade) are stopped for speeding on post and are given tickets.

Sure, it is not a 'custodial arrest' by any stretch; but is a brief detention. When you are stopped by an enlisted MP and you are an officer, all courtesy still applies and they'll call you "sir" or "ma'am" as they issue you a summons.

The MP's working at the front gate also carry the authority of the post commander and you are required to follow their direction regardless of your rank or theirs. That black & white arm band on their shoulder is more powerful at times than a bird or a star perched atop your epaulet or affixed to your collar.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3562 users online. 238 members and 3324 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X