Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who don't like to pull traffic.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who don't like to pull traffic.

From the moment Palo Alto police pulled over a driver for speeding Monday night, the list of charges against him began piling up. They didn't stop until the suspect was back at the police station, where a tall sergeant looked down at his head and saw a marijuana cigarette stashed in his dreadlocked hair.

"We ran out of room on his booking sheet," Palo Alto police Sgt. Dan Ryan said.

Officers spotted 21-year-old Melvin Robbins of Mountain View speeding on East Bayshore Road near Embarcadero Road at about 11:30 p.m. Monday, Ryan said. By the time they caught up to Robbins, he was near the intersection of Cooley Avenue and Donohoe Street in East Palo Alto.

They quickly discovered Robbins' registration was expired, Ryan said. When officers approached the car, they noted it smelled of marijuana, and they found the drug inside the vehicle, he added. Robbins initially gave the officers a false name — another charge for the booking sheet — and when they discovered his real identity, they noticed he was on probation and had four felony warrants outstanding. He was also driving with a suspended license, Ryan said.

A search of the vehicle turned up a loaded gun hidden in a compartment, Ryan said. That's a crime for a former felon, and for someone on probation for a domestic violence charge. And the gun's serial number was scratched off, another violation.

After they arrested Robbins, officers Tom DeStefano Jr. and Dan Bybee brought him in to the police station, where Ryan himself met the suspect. Ryan, who stands well over 6 feet, said he thought Robbins still smelled like marijuana and glanced down at his head. There he saw the marijuana cigarette.

Robbins was booked into the Santa Clara County Main Jail on the four warrants, three gun violations, marijuana possession, driving with a suspended license, and giving false information to an officer, Ryan said.

— Will Oremus, Daily News staff writer

All that work and only 4 stinkin' tickets...

Comment

Originally posted by CS Shooter View Post
      All that work and only 4 stinkin' tickets...
      and a good felony arrest with some felony crime clearances....and one bad guy off the street for a good amount of time......

Comment

Most of my on-view arrests start with a minor traffic infraction. Its one reason I do a lot of traffic.

I'm kind of surprised that is news as that story is a weekly occurrence here LOL.

Comment

A traffic stop is like a box of chocolates.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
            A traffic stop is like a box of chocolates.
            And THAT, my friends, is why I love running traffic. Too bad we've been too busy to get much of that done lately. I'm running second in the department over the past year for DUI arrests and one day, perhaps just one day, I will be leading the department in it.
            "To know that you know what you know and that you do not know what you do not know; that is true knowledge." - Unknown

Comment

lol... potheads...

the addage "MJ never hurt anyone" does not apply to this lost turd.

P.S. New charge added. 101 PC - Felony stupid

Comment

Im all for that, but it still doesnt me you have to be a mindless traffic zombie and write everyone you stop and give no one a break or warning like some "super cops" do. heck stop every car doing 1 over if you want. this guy deserved what he got, but sometimes its good to let the soccer mom slide!

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee_1 View Post
                  Im all for that, but it still doesnt me you have to be a mindless traffic zombie and write everyone you stop and give no one a break or warning like some "super cops" do. heck stop every car doing 1 over if you want. this guy deserved what he got, but sometimes its good to let the soccer mom slide!
                  Well, I write, but not everyone. The point is moot however since this guy had a ton stacked against him.

Comment

These type of traffic stops always seem to happen 15 minutes before shift change!
                    ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

Originally posted by ManInTan View Post
                      These type of traffic stops always seem to happen 15 minutes before shift change!
                      Don't they... though? Hah

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6478 users online. 350 members and 6128 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X