Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alleged vigilante loses permit

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...e+loses+permit
    The Springfield man who allegedly fired several shots at a fleeing purse thief last week has had his concealed carry endorsement revoked, the Greene County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday.
    Advertisement

Charles R. Webb, 61, is charged with felony unlawful use of a weapon in the Friday night incident.

Police say Webb was waiting in his car outside a Price Cutter store, 3260 E. Battlefield Road , when he saw the purse- snatching occur.

The thief hopped into a waiting sport utility vehicle, and Webb pursued the man.

He allegedly cornered the SUV in a nearby motel parking lot, and fired three shots with a 9mm handgun at the vehicle, an apparent attempt to disable its tires.

The purse thief's vehicle escaped, and Webb allegedly engaged in a chase that reached speeds of 80 mph.

Police say the chase ended near the Price Cutter store, and that Webb ordered the driver to toss the purse and his car keys out of the window.

The driver complied but apparently used an extra key to restart the engine and speed off.

The case has sparked heated debate on online message boards, with posters alternately defending and disparaging Webb's actions.

The purse snatching victim, 75-year-old Mary O'Neal, has praised the man.

In Missouri, it's legal to stow a registered weapon in a vehicle, even without a concealed carry endorsement.

However, state law dictates the privilege must be taken away if a felony charge is pending against a permit holder.

In light of the charge against Webb, the sheriff's office has revoked his concealed carry endorsement, said Maj. Phil Corcoran.

Depending on the outcome of the criminal case, he might be able to re-apply for the endorsement, Corcoran said.

Webb is next scheduled to appear in court on Friday.
    Those who believe, ye shall receive.

I'm sorry i don't understand the controversy.

Maybe my tiredness is making me stupid today but I would assume what he did was in pursuit of a positive aim but not in accordance with the applicable use of force laws.

Here, you cant escalate to deadly force in defense of property without an attendant imminent use of deadly physical force by the "bad guy". I assume its similar or more constrained there....
    Last edited by Oddball-Six; 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM.
    -------------------------------
    You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

"Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

Comment

He went a little above and beyond what the conceal carry is intended for.

As well, as far as I'm aware no LEO would shoot at a fleeing suspect (at least in this case) for snatching a purse. Now, if the purse snatcher was a known and wanted murderer capable of inflicting bodily harm and death in the event he escaped it might be articulated that shooting at him was a valid course of action. However, not being a LEO that course of action also wouldn't be allowed.

The threat left the scene and at that moment presented no danger to the concealed carry holder or the victim. That’s all he’s allowed to protect himself and others from. He’s not allowed to pursue it.

He’s toast, but that’s my Californian perspective.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
      - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

He allegedly cornered the SUV in a nearby motel parking lot, and fired three shots with a 9mm handgun at the vehicle, an apparent attempt to disable its tires.
        Too much TV.
        "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

I have a Missouri CCW and from my perspective he was an idiot.

Comment

This guy is not an leo, he is an overzealous idiot, who put many lives at risk trying to be a dirty harry. The items inside a purse can be replaced. Human lives can not.
            Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
              Too much TV.
              Maybe he saw his grandkids playing Grand Theft Auto and saw how easy it is to shoot out tires on there.

Comment

Very bad lapse in judgement. Once the perp left the license holder no longer was in danger. He will likely never see a CCW again.
                Sworn on September 22, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by AlmostaLEO View Post
                  Very bad lapse in judgement. Once the perp left the license holder no longer was in danger. He will likely never see a CCW again.
                  Or firearm.

Comment

And this is why CCW holders shouldn't even think that they are even remotely linked to LEOs unless your own personal/family's safety is at risk.

This situation reminded me of a older question that was asked in reference to CCW holders being "sheepdogs"

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ight=sheepdogs

...wayyyy too much tv

Futurelaw89

Comment

Originally posted by AlmostaLEO View Post
                      Agreed. He went a little too far but his heart was in the right place. If he felt like pursuing, he should have just followed him the best he could and called the cops. And I see your name is AlmostaLEO. Your sig says you have only turned in an application. Do you think your name is entirely accurate
                      sigpic

Comment

If he had killed somebody....

Comment

Where did his rounds end up? Or did I miss it?

Comment

Originally posted by KY Blue 72 View Post
                            Agreed. He went a little too far but his heart was in the right place. If he felt like pursuing, he should have just followed him the best he could and called the cops. And I see your name is AlmostaLEO. Your sig says you have only turned in an application. Do you think your name is entirely accurate
                            I've turned in well more than one. The one I posted is the one I'm most likely to get if any.

You, sir, are an idiot. You will likely never see a badge. You'll never pass psych with your attitude. Good luck!
                            Sworn on September 22, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by JayhawkFan View Post
                              he is an overzealous idiot, who put many lives at risk trying to be a dirty harry.
                              Agreed.

It's one thing to defend someones life, in the moment. It's a whole different party when you get into a pursuit in your POV, attempt to shoot out tires, and go all Jack Bauer on the suspect.

Thank God he didn't kill anyone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1925 users online. 127 members and 1798 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X