Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disgraced lawyer gets 4 years in prison

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

(09-15) 08:59 PDT REDWOOD CITY -- An attorney has been sentenced to four years in state prison for stealing more than $824,000 from a client after the elderly man died, a prosecutor said today.

Edward Duff Hume, 60, of Santa Ynez (Santa Barbara County) pleaded no contest Monday in San Mateo County Superior Court to felony embezzlement and an enhancement alleging excessive theft, said Steve Wagstaffe, chief deputy district attorney. Judge Susan Etezadi will determine the amount of restitution Nov. 19.

Hume had represented a client, Frederick Helversen, in the Helversen Trust. After Helversen died in 2002 at the age of 87, Hume became a trustee. Over the next 18 months, he transferred $824,361 from the trust into his personal account.

In 2006, Hume asked two elderly clients to lend him $100,000 for home improvements, and they agreed so long as he repaid them by the end of the year. Hume failed to do so, Wagstaffe said.

In August 2006, he presented a forged document to one of the victim's banks in Menlo Park in hopes of getting $6,000 from her account. Bank officials became suspicious and contacted the woman, who told them that she had not approved any transfer, Wagstaffe said.

Hume, an attorney since 1975, resigned from the State Bar in April 2008, records show.

E-mail Henry K. Lee at [email protected].

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

4 years for a non-forceable felony on a (most likely) 60 yr old first time offender.

Seems a bit harsh. (not that I am complaining----------its just you don't see time in prison for older felons that don't physically hurt people very often)

Looks like the DA and the judge made an example out of him
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      4 years for a non-forceable felony on a (most likely) 60 yr old first time offender.

Seems a bit harsh. (not that I am complaining----------its just you don't see time in prison for older felons that don't physically hurt people very often)
      He will only serve two years, and perhaps less if the state is forced to release prisoners early. I have encountered many crooked lawyers in my career and have no sympathy for them. These are people who have the ability to make good, honest livings and instead prey upon the trust of their unsuspecting victims.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1986 users online. 129 members and 1857 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X