300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Celebrity/Athlete Arrest

San Diego Chargers star Shawne Merriman arrested for alleged battery on woman
    September 6, 2009 | 11:35 am

San Diego Chargers star linebacker Shawne Merriman was arrested early today on suspicion of battery and false imprisonment after a girlfriend told sheriff's deputies he had choked and restrained her.

Deputies responded to a call at 3:45 a.m. from Tila Nguyen, also known as Tila Tequila. The 27-year-old model and reality TV star said Merriman had assaulted her when she tried to leave his home in Poway, a suburb north of San Diego. Nguyen was taken to the hospital.

Merriman was arrested after Nguyen said she would sign a complaint. He was being held in the downtown San Diego jail in lieu of $58,000 bail.

Nguyen, a Singapore-born American, has appeared in magazines and as the star of her own show "A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila," which ran for two seasons.

The 25-year-old Merriman, 6-foot-4 and 270 pounds, was suspended for four games in 2006 after he tested positive for a banned substance. A three-time Pro Bowl selection, he missed most of the 2008 season with an injury.

He played in Friday's 26-7 exhibition victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

-- Tony Perry in San Diego
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

What a man. Sounds like he's back on the 'roids.

Comment

LOL, more of the story was about Tila's fame and work than the incident...oh the media.

Comment

Possible start of a new reality show. "NFL Arrest of the week"

Comment

I'm going with Merriman on this one... she's an idiot and will do anything to get her name on the news.

Comment

Too much Tequila is a surefire way to wake up with a headache.
            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by Fed0080 View Post
              I'm going with Merriman on this one... she's an idiot and will do anything to get her name on the news.
              I'll second that. Another money hungry, publicity grabbing, self-promoting gold digger trying to cash in on a rich sports figure.

The SD Union Tribune reported that she was intoxicated, and didn't have any marks on her when she was taken to the hospital. That won't stop her from suing Merriman for millions...just watch.

Comment

Most cases I would blame the athlete, but when dealing with the Tequila chick, I'm thinking different story. Merriman's attorney said he was simply trying to keep her from driving drunk and there are plenty of witnesses to back up the story that she was not assaulted. She's 100% floozy (to put it nicely).
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Dang and I picked the SD defense for my fantasy football league mainly because he was back.
                  Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                    Dang and I picked the SD defense for my fantasy football league mainly because he was back.
                    LOL...Look on the bright side, SD is playing Oakland on Monday, so they should do well...
                    sigpic

Comment

We all got lectured today on the importance of minding our own business and abiding by department policy when it comes to reading someone's legal issues because of this case. It's not illegal to read the case or anything, like it would be to access SUN and look him up, but it is generally against policy to read about his case if you are not assigned to it. Apparently some of the detectives assigned to the case couldn't work it because too many people tried to read the report, and the software couldn't handle it. That, or someone closed it out the wrong way, which locked the case as well. Either way, it was a software issue, and since this dept. is a knee-jerk reaction type of dept.... we all had to listen and sign a training roster....

Soo annoying.

BTW... I didn't read it. Word of mouth travels just as fast as electronic communication around here.

And... (for any supervisors monitoring this forum) it IS against P&P.

Willow... did you guys have to do the same thing? I guess it wasn't just sworn staff doing it.

Comment

Yeah, chicken nuggets are what I usually order.

Comment

Here we go!!!...

Sources: Jealousy Led To Merriman, Tequila Altercation

POSTED: 5:35 pm PDT September 9, 2009
                          UPDATED: 8:20 pm PDT September 9, 2009

SAN DIEGO -- Multiple sources provided 10News' Juliette Vara with new details about what led to the incident last Sunday involving San Diego Chargers star Shawne Merriman and reality TV star Tila Tequila at the linebacker's Poway home.

Sources close to the story told Vara that Tequila -- also known as Tila Nguyen -- was unhappy that she was not the only woman getting attention from Merriman, and jealousy played a role in the early morning altercation.

The sources told Vara that witnesses at Merriman's home said the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker went to his bedroom with two women.

Sources said Tequila walked into the room and Merriman asked her to join them. However, the sources said Tequila reacted angrily and threatened to have sex with a member of Merriman's entourage.

According to sources, Tequila was intoxicated, and she got naked and attempted to leave the house.

Sources told Vara that Merriman, 25, tried to stop the 27-year-old Tequila, and that is when she called 911.

Tequila accused Merriman of choking and throwing her to the ground while she was trying to leave the house. Tequila signed a citizen's arrest warrant accusing Merriman of battery and false imprisonment. Both are felonies.

After practice on Wednesday, Vara talked to Merriman, but he did not discuss specifics about the case.

Vara asked Merriman to clarify his relationship with Tequila, and he immediately contacted his attorney.

"I don't know if … let me text my lawyer real quick," he said.

Merriman later acknowledged that he and the MTV star were friends and had only known each other for a short time.

"If anyone feels this is a distraction for me, I apologize," Merriman said. "I know my No. 1 priority is guys in the locker room."

Sources also told Vara that Tequila faked a neck injury, and when paramedics arrived they determined that she was OK. However, Tequila insisted on going to the hospital.

On Wednesday, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department handed over its findings in the case to the District Attorney's office.

The District Attorney's office will review the sheriff's department documents to decide if charges will be filed against Merriman.

The attorney representing Tequila disputed Merriman's claim that she was drunk when the linebacker allegedly choked her and held her against her will in his Poway home.

Attorney Alan S. Gutman issued a statement Tuesday, saying Merriam's comments since the incident early Sunday morning are nothing more than "calculated spin to cover up his illegal and indefensible actions."

Merriman and his attorney, Todd Macaluso, have said they expect him to be vindicated. Merriman issued a statement Sunday denying wrongdoing and saying he was trying to keep Tequila from leaving his home because she appeared to be intoxicated.

"I in no way caused any harm to Ms. Nguyen, however, paramedics were called and she was examined but no injuries were reported," Merriman's statement read.

On Tuesday night, Tequila's attorney called Merriman's explanation "spin" and predicted it would be discredited.

"It is never justifiable to brutally assault, choke, strike and imprison a woman," Gutman wrote. "Once the truth is fully revealed, Mr. Merriman's fantastic story of how he was trying to keep Ms. Tequila safe will be completely discredited."

Gutman didn't return calls seeking comment Wednesday. Merriman and Macaluso said they had no further comment.

When Merriman bailed out of jail on Sunday, a court appearance was scheduled for next Tuesday. If no charges are filed, that appearance will be removed from the court calendar, Levikow said. If the DA's office hasn't decided by then, the appearance will be rescheduled.

Comment

I think if Merriman actually choked her and threw her to the ground, as small as she is, they'd be printing her obituary right about now.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

First off, I wouldn't believe anything that is printed in the Union-Fibune. They have proven time and time again that they will sensationalize rather than make any attempt to learn the facts.

I can't speak for SDSO but evrything I've read says he was booked for a felony so I'd *guess* that she had to have some type of marks on her. Although if you're going to book for a felony charge, I don't know why they bothered having her sign a citzens arrest form? Also, barring the DA changing their issuing policies for Merriman, it will be dropped to a misd since there was no injury requiring an overnight stay in the hospital.

One way or another, I expect that this case will disappear.
                              "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4309 users online. 238 members and 4071 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X