300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer

What is involved in having a speedometer checked?

We got pulled over tonight. (No ticket and positive interaction.)

We're on our way home from a birthday party and Hubby has the cruise set at 65. (Speed limit is 60.) We were approaching a 55 and coming up behind a Sheriff's vehicle. We slow down (obviously since we are entering a slower zone) and the cop pulls over. We pass and he comes behind and lights us up.

Charlie: "Oh, no! We're going to get arrested."
    Me: "Shut-up. No we are not. We're just being pulled over."
    Bethany: "Are we all getting out?"
    Me: "No one is getting out. Now hush. I am trying to find the insurance and stuff."
    Me (to husband): "I took all the paperwork inside when I cleaned out the receipts from bill paying. Did the new insurance cards or receipt from the insurance make it back in?"
    Husband: "I don't know. Close the box, here he comes. You can look again in a minute."

Officer: "I clocked you at 71 coming up behind me fast. License and registration."
    Husband: "71? I had the cruise set at 65. By the way, I do have a sidearm."
    Officer: "Do you have a license for that?"
    Husband: "Yes, Sir."
    Officer: "Ok. May I see your driver's license and registration?"
    Husband: "Here is the license. Wife is looking for the registration."
    Me: "I'm looking for the insurance and registration among the papers."
    Charlie: "Hannah's out of her seatbelt."
    Me: "Hannah get back in your seat."
    Hannah (trying to climb up between the two front seats): "I have to doe potty and I firsty."
    Me: "Well, you are going to have to wait. Charlie, buckle your sister back in, please."
    Husband (to the Officer): "The truck stopped so she thinks it is time to get out."
    Officer: "Where you headed?"
    Husband: "Home. We have some goats to milk."
    Me (mumbling through registration forms and receipts.): "Trailer, trailer, boat, van, what's this? Hannah get back in your seat! Bethany, quit licking the window. Charlie, help your sister. I know it's here somewhere."

By this point, the officer just walked away. (Or maybe he was calling for reinforcements?)

I finally find the registration, unbuckled my seatbelt, opened my door to buckle Hannah back in only to have Charlie say "Got it!"

Husband hangs his arm out the window with the registration and we sit and wait.

Bethany: "Why is the officer here?"
    Husband: "Because Daddy was driving a bit fast, honey."
    Hannah: "Why is da officer here?"
    Husband: "Because Daddy was driving a bit fast."
    Hannah: "Oh. Otay."

Officer returns. "Here's your license back. Just watch your speed and get your speedometer checked."
    Husband: "Thank you."

Charlie: "Why did he stop us?"
    Husband: "Because we were going a little fast and he wanted to make sure we were ok."

I'm not sure if he let us go because he felt sorry for us or what. An armed man with three children who can't stay in their seats and a disorganized wife. Hmmm. Maybe I should NOT give this man a ticket.
    http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

You have to find a shop that specializes in speedometer calibration. If you can't find it, call a local mechanic and they should be able to tell you the name of a place that does it.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Get a GPS and judge your speed off that. That's how I do it. My speedo is 2-3 mph off. So if it says I'm doing 55, I'm actually doing 53 or 52. THe GPS is much more accurate, IMHO.
      If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Comment

Like the sarge said. Find a specialty shop aka not a jiffy lube or Wal-mart. They hook up a computer to your ECU and recalibrate.

Comment

1st, a speedometer being wrong does not get your ticket dismissed in court.

I do not care how unorganized a person is, or their car is, or whether or not they can find their paperwork, if I'm going to write you a ticket you will be getting your ticket.

As far as your speedometer being calibrated check with your local auto club. Here in Ca AAA auto club calibrates most of the police, sheriff's, CHP's vehicles.

Do you say it was a positive experience because he did not write you a ticket?

Comment

I second the GPS I have a Garmin and besides the mapping, it shows current MPH, logs the peak speed durring any given trip. So it's very easy to verify if the facts agree with what the officer says.

Comment

What kind of vehicle is it?

Comment

There is no law that mandates a vehicle must be equipped with a speedometer. The task of operating within the legal limits of the speed laws is the driver's resposibility.

If you are a member of the AAA motor club, you can get your speedometer checked through them. Otherwise, as others have stated, you need to go to an AutoElectric shop that specializes in speedometers.

You can also use static locations to measure the speed of your vehicle through timing. If you know of two points on a highway that you have measure exactly and know the distance you can run the vehicle between them, time the runs and calculate the speed. Remember that you may have a stop watch that is also off.

Personally, I try to use the average flow of traffic rule. If the majority of the vehicles on the highway are travelling at the same speed, chances are, no one will get a ticket for speeding - unless you are the lead vehicle setting the pace!!!!
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by 2wheeldep View Post
                  1st, a speedometer being wrong does not get your ticket dismissed in court.
                  Never said it did and never expected it to.

I do not care how unorganized a person is, or their car is, or whether or not they can find their paperwork, if I'm going to write you a ticket you will be getting your ticket.
                  I never expected otherwise.

As far as your speedometer being calibrated check with your local auto club. Here in Ca AAA auto club calibrates most of the police, sheriff's, CHP's vehicles.
                  Here in Indiana, AAA is useless as teats on a bull.

Do you say it was a positive experience because he did not write you a ticket?
                  No, I said it was a positive experience because the officer was friendly, didn't say anything about the children as he saw them getting out of their seat belts, and never made an issue out of my husband carrying. If a ticket was issued, it would still have been a positive experience.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
                    I second the GPS I have a Garmin and besides the mapping, it shows current MPH, logs the peak speed durring any given trip. So it's very easy to verify if the facts agree with what the officer says.
                    We don't have the money for a GPS. We will be calling around to see if anyone around here can check. I know the van is off as well. I was driving past one of those side of the road things that clock your speed one day and I was doing 34 while the thing clocked me at 27.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                      What kind of vehicle is it?

2003 Chevy duramax diesel Silverado

Comment

Are the tires stock? 2500HD's come standard with 245/75/16 and 3500HD's come standard with 265's. I've had several Duramaxes and I've put on 285's on all of them so far. If he's changed the tire sizes, it'll cause the speedometer to be off. If he goes to 285's from a 245, you'll be off by around 5 mph, with your speedo reading 5mph slower than you're actually going.

There are fixes for this actually and they're pretty common. Most people go out and buy a $300 programmer thats capable of diagnostics, power tuning and all kinds of cool stuff, one being the ability to calibrate your speedo after you out on larger diameter tires. Its a quick fix so that you dont have to go to the dealer to have them do it.

I also have another website for you if you're interested in finding support for your DMAX. Its very similar to this, just for diesels.

Comment

I guess then set your speed exactly at 60mph and pass mileage markers on the road, and do the math. One time getting lost in a city is worth the cost of a GPS unit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
                            We don't have the money for a GPS. We will be calling around to see if anyone around here can check. I know the van is off as well. I was driving past one of those side of the road things that clock your speed one day and I was doing 34 while the thing clocked me at 27.
                            Speedometers can be inaccurate for any number of reasons. You've already recieved several replies with regard to correcting that. Re: Cruise control.If I had a nickel for every time a violator stated he had his cruise control engaged,I wouldn't need my retirement check. Cruise control can be inaccurate as well, and for a variety of reasons. Relatively few people routinely have their speedometers calibrated, yet they drive very successfully, and perhaps with considerable luck. They don't get stopped. Awareness of existing road, weather, and traffic conditions, driving with regard to those conditions, is often the most effective way of avoiding those blue/red lights in your rear view mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
                              2003 Chevy duramax diesel Silverado
                              Maam, please allow me to suggest to you that if you can afford to run a 2003 Chevy duramax diesel, Silverado, that you can also afford a Garmin / GPS. In other words, the Garmin isn't priced that far out of the ballpark.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4973 users online. 298 members and 4675 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X