300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorizing 10 codes

What's going on all? The academy starts in 2 months and I am planning ahead and starting to memorize 10 codes and it is difficult remembering all of them. What did everyone do to memorize their 10 codes and what study methods have worked?

Brian
    10/05/2009 NOW EMPLOYED!!
    Academy - November 2nd

Just try and do 20 per day. Just look at your sheet and familiarize yourself with the ones you want to learn each day and repeat them as long as it takes to remember them. Do that every day until you get all the 10/11 and penal codes right. So basically just look, familiarize, learn and repeat, over and over and over. But, most places are doing away with 10 codes, but that's the right way to do it. I know all my codes from left to right, atleast the ones I am suppose to know. But I do still have a cheat sheet.
    "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

Get yourself a scanner. Program at least one main frequency of your dept. into the scanner. Print off a list of all your 10-codes as a "Cheat Sheet" and listen to the scanner. When a call comes out that you dont recognize look at your cheat sheet. Pretty soon you will have the main codes memorized and you will be able to stack codes in conversation.
      "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Just reading the thread here, I do have a scanner and I noticed that some of the 10 codes my hometown uses are a bit different. For example 10-1 in my hometown means "in service and able to take a call" as opposed to what 10-8 means for most LEO's on this site. Also, 10-2 means "don't contact me I'm busy". Is there any reason why some 10 codes are different from others depending on the agency?

Comment

What do you guys think about using notecards?
          Academy - November 2nd

Comment

Don't bother trying to learn the codes before the academy starts. They will tell you what you need to learn, and you don't want to have gotten some of them wrong. They have done this a few times before, so don't worry too much about it.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I got the sheet from an officer here. Supposedly they make you learn 10 new
              ones per week and I was just trying to get ahead of the game.
              Academy - November 2nd

Comment

Most agencies are going away from 10 codes and using plain voice due to NIMS requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by phillyrube View Post
                  Most agencies are going away from 10 codes and using plain voice due to NIMS requirements.
                  Yea, even our department is starting to use sort of "plain english".
                  "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

I am a big fan of the common English system but I don't think the department will be trasnsitioning anytime soon..any others ideas how to get these codes memorized????
                    Academy - November 2nd

Comment

Make sure the "list" of codes you have is what the academy is using. Departments use different codes......the ones my department uses are similiar to the ones the academy used, but a few were different. Once you know exactly which codes you need to learn then it is a matter of memorization...flashcards can help. Once you get out of the academy depending on your department you may never use 90% of those codes again.

Comment

the best way i learned was when a teacher taught us to look at sentences and rewrite them using ten codes and then the other way around...our department only uses certain codes and even then if we use plain english its fine....
                        " the only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Smart is when you believe only half of what you hear. Brilliant is when you know which half to believe." -Orben's Current Comedy

Comment

we use plain speak and its garbage, wayy to much wasted air time. i wish they would go back to 10 codes

Comment

We have used plain English since the 70s, and it works fine.
                            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Index cards with the code on one side, meaning on the other. Flip them different ways and shuffle so you learn both ways.

Type code Jeopardy....get together in a study group and test each other. Typecode Hangman is also fun....or Typecode pictionary.

Mnemonic devices are also helpful....either rhymes or something that makes you laugh.

For instance...1166 is our code for signal malfuntion. Or, as a classmate put it...."you can't get your kicks on route 66 when the signals broke."
                              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6128 users online. 327 members and 5801 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X