300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniforms

I was wondering that why does some PDs choose to wear the bermuda shorts and polo shirts. Looks really slobby and nonprofessional and even funny when officers wear duty belts with this outfit .

I saw this reality tv show just the other day called beach patrol or something that tells about lifeguards in this beach somewhere in USA (forgot the name ) but they have to call PD really often because people act like huge jerks almost everytime when lifeguards approach them and even when the officers arrive and act all professional and cool and these people still choose to lie to them and continue acting aggressive.

It is cool that different PDs have different types of uniforms with e.g. different hats and different uniform colours but when officers wear bermuda shorts and polo shirts it just looks bad at least to me. Even if it would be hot as heck I personally would rather go with staight class A uniform pants and class A short sleeve "loop" collar shirt (the ones that have pressed open collars like the 50's shirts). http://www.daddyos.com/retro/lb4.html

The worst uniforms are shorts/polo shirt combo, BDU army uniform and cargo pants. They are just awful! Yeah and add baseball caps like whats up with them? PD issues all Class A complete cool uniform package and decides to ruin it by giving the officers baseball caps. Campaign hats or "bus driver" hats (which are actually called yankee cop hats or square hats in Finland though no one uses them) are the way to go.

Also what do you officers think of the uniform materials? Sould they be made out of 100% cotton or is something else better? All I know is that polyester doesen't breathe at all and is really hot.

/edit I forgot to talk about the uniform jackets. There are some really cool jackets like LAPD style jackets for example but some jackets are just too long and they look bad when they hang over the duty gear and that is also a safety issue since the duty gear must be quickly accesible so "Ike" style waist lenght jackets should be the way to go there and they also look really sharp and cool.
    Last edited by JAR_fin; 09-03-2009, 05:22 AM. Reason: /edit

I personally think someone wearing a short "Ike" jacket looks like a big tool.

Comment

Uniform

nnvvvvvvvn
      Last edited by Gabber; 01-14-2010, 03:42 AM.

Comment

I know for one thing, no one will ever catch me in no tiny little shorts, on or off duty. Uh. No. How can you pursure someone in tiny, tiny tight shorts with 15 pounds of weight around your hip... crazy, imo. Why not just wear pants and a regular polo with a badge. Grr.
        "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

Originally posted by az4code23 View Post
          I know for one thing, no one will ever catch me in no tiny little shorts, on or off duty. Uh. No. How can you pursure someone in tiny, tiny tight shorts with 15 pounds of weight around your hip... crazy, imo. Why not just wear pants and a regular polo with a badge. Grr.
          My boss wears those stupid shorts. You'll never catch me doing anything but criticizing them.

Comment

I love it on days where I get to wear a polo and blue jeans. Vest, belt and boots all still go on but it feels more comfortable for some reason.

Comment

I have never worn shorts, but down here in Florida when you are on an outdoor call in August for 4 hours you will take any measure available to avoid dying of heat exhaustion. I don't blame the people who choose to wear them. I will agree that the class B (Polyester short sleeve uniform) looks much more professional and should be worn anytime it is less than 90 outside.

Comment

I've worked the beach patrol detail for my job, a few summers ago. The authorized uniform was police bike shorts and a coolmax type police golf shirt(dept patches, "POLICE" across the back). Believe me it made the detail very bearable, in the sun and sand all day. And it looks professional enough. Everyone knew who I was and there was never a problem with command presence or not being given the proper respect of a regularly uniformed officer.
                Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

Yea, try wearing a class A uniform on bike patrol...

Uniforms have to walk the line between professional and functional. While the brass would love for most officers to look spit-and-polish professional with pressed class A's, high-shine shoes, polished leather gear, and glittering with sparkly brass and buttons, experienced street cops know that such a uniform is not tactically functional when you're rolling around on the ground in a bar fight or chasing someone through a muddy field.
                  "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Nah, no way I'd wear shorts if it was sunny and 100 degrees in the sun on the sand. I'd rather wear long pants. Not.
                    Jeez, I'd go naked if i could if I had that job.
                    21 Years, Retired, Pensioned

Comment

try patrolling a beach in bdu's w/blouse your belt, vest and all the required PPE for a ATV... makes me wish we had shorts and polo shirts :/

Comment

I'm saying in general. I wear full uniform even when it's 115 outside here in Arizona. And it's hot, but keeps us from getting sunburn. But it's different everywhere. For bike patrol, shorts are acceptable or thinner pants, but not tight shorts, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by az4code23 View Post
                          I'm saying in general. I wear full uniform even when it's 115 outside here in Arizona. And it's hot, but keeps us from getting sunburn. But it's different everywhere. For bike patrol, shorts are acceptable or thinner pants, but not tight shorts, sorry.
                          Where do you get the "tight shorts" on duty from? I've never seen an officer on duty wearing tight shorts...outside of an episode of Reno 911.
                          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I don't know, it just came to my head. Maybe I posed on the wrong post. oops....

Comment

What is acceptable for a uniform depends to an extent on what is acceptable to the local community. Some cities and counties allow their officers to have beards; a couple around here do and there is no problem with it because it is not outside local cultural norms. Some agencies wear green jumpsuits with nylon duty rigs and suspenders; in other places, you have to wear Class A for daily patrol because a hard-duty uniform just won't work for the citizens.

Around here, we have a mix. Most patrol deputies/officers wear a regular uniform; K-9 handlers have cloth badges and name tapes, and more and more officers wear Blauer pants (not BDUs - Blauers are not bloused and are cut to fit like regular pants). SROs and beach patrol often wear polo shirts and shorts. Park Rangers wear a mix of regular uniforms, hard duty and bike patrol uniforms. Many rangers also have beards or goatees.

I haven't noticed anyone having a problem due to the uniform they wear. It's how they wear it. If you are wearing a smartly-fitting polo shirt and shorts, your duty gear is cared for and the belt is worn tight and straight and you carry yourself like you are in charge, you will get more respect and cooperation than the guy in the long sleeves and Class A pants with the baggy, untailored shirt, worn-out duty gear hanging off the hips like Buford T. Justice and boots that were polished with a Hershey bar and sandpaper and carries himself like he is bored and just doesn't care anymore.
                              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6040 users online. 363 members and 5677 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X