Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your opinion: Should felons be allowed to vote?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your opinion: Should felons be allowed to vote?

I was just doing some work for a class and wanted to get a few opinions from fellow officers.

Personally, I think that they SHOULD be allowed to vote and disagree with this additional punishment.
    YES
    22.22%
    NO
    77.78%

Felons or ex-cons? Are we talking people still in prison or people who have been released, no longer on parole or probation and otherwise free but with a record to follow them?
    http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'll take opinions for either, but I'm more interested in the ones that have been released from jail and have returned to 'normalcy'.

Comment

Since HELL DOUBLE FAWK NO was not a selection, I chose no.

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
          Since HELL DOUBLE FAWK NO was not a selection, I chose no.
          Explain please.

Comment

Far as I'm concerned, I think people who can't manage to follow the laws and rules of our country shouldn't be able to vote for the people who make them....so I obviously voted no....

Same with felons never owning guns again (legally) .... some privileges just shouldn't be reinstated ....
            'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

I put yes because they don't have things to vote on like: "law making it legal to kill people." I just think that if they take the time to register and go down to the polls; why not.

Comment

No. They knew they were breaking the law and chose to follow through. They knew this was a consequence of breaking the law and they still chose to follow through. Current convicts shouldn't get anything except enough food and water to survive, much less the right to vote. Those who are released get their freedom from incarceration under certain conditions, losing their right to vote being one of them. They knew it going in, let them live with it.

Comment

People who are convicted of felonies have shown that they do not accept the norms of civilized society. They should not be deciding what the laws are (or select the people who make them).
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

No way. They blew it. Voting is a priviledge not a right and to violate our most serious laws against society tells us all we need to know about how much respect these given scumbags have for our community.

Besides, they'd probably vote for libs. That alone clinches it. No way.
                    The All New
                    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

No! If we let them start voting who knows who will end up in office. We may end up with some inexperienced communist in the Oval Office... oops too late
                      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
                      -Winston Churchill

Thanks for stopping me from doing a one man keg stand by myself, clad in only a towel. That probably wouldve ended badly...

Comment

Lol...I too was looking for a "Hell No" option. Convicted felons have demonstrated the inablity to make good choices. Why should they be allowed to participate in deciding what's good for the masses?

Comment

The 14th Amendment permits states to deny the vote "for participation in rebellion, or other crime." And it can be argued that convicts should not vote since the purpose of prison is to deny freedom. But with ex-cons, the argument changes.

Insert your own arguments, but if a person breaks the law they lack the trustworthiness to vote on it. The Heritage Foundation speculates that that felons might form some kind of "anti-law-enforcement bloc" and elect bad officials. It may sound crazy, but given the level of organized crime and their proven ability to be...well..... organized, it's not too much of a stretch.

Disallowing ex-cons a vote isn't 'additional' punishment IMO; it's one of the consequences of committing crime. Under current federal law, the vast majority of felons are prohibited from so much as touching a gun or ammunition, on pain of punishment of up to 10 years in prison. Do you consider that to be 'additional punishment' and a violation of the Second Amendment?

I voted no.

Comment

If the purpose of prison/jail is to rehabilitate and/or punish, and the time has been served, fines have been paid, victims have been compensated, then I don't have a problem with them voting. Voting is a right. It's bad enough that society labels them "felons", and thus limits their employment opportunities. If they've been "reformed", I don't see why they shouldn't be able to vote. I'm sure someone who accidentally killed a spotted owl by cutting down the wrong tree would agree with me.

I voted yes, but only 5 years AFTER the completion of their sentence, whether its prison, probation, or the last dollar paid on a fine or judgement of compensation.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                              No way. They blew it. Voting is a priviledge not a right and to violate our most serious laws against society tells us all we need to know about how much respect these given scumbags have for our community.

Besides, they'd probably vote for libs. That alone clinches it. No way.
                              Uh, driving is a privilege. Voting is a right. Voting is in the Constitution. Driving is not.
                              http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3473 users online. 181 members and 3292 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X