300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Surveillance Cameras

Whats your opinion on surveillance cameras being placed on high crime areas and known problem corners? I personally think its a valuable tool if they are actually working. Especially the ones that can hear sounds and turn their lens that way.

I have real mixed emotions on this one. If I were still on active duty, first thing I'd want to see is the surveillance video. OTH, sometimes, it really does seem like "Big Brother is watching".

Comment

They seem to be quite effective in England.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Seems like saying..."hey, free cameras for your crib."

Comment

There an effective tool, especially if they're hidden, and catching the perpetrator in the act.
          "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
            They seem to be quite effective in England.
            Sarcasm, I hope?

Comment

Originally posted by Till View Post
              Sarcasm, I hope?
              Nope. They have been used to identify and track down terrorists.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

In public areas, the more the better.
                  ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

Originally posted by Philly OneNOnly View Post
                    Whats your opinion on surveillance cameras being placed on high crime areas and known problem corners? I personally think its a valuable tool if they are actually working. Especially the ones that can hear sounds and turn their lens that way.
                    In high crime areas and problem corners - yes I'm okay with them. The only stipulation would be that the general public should have access to view whatever footage is captured on the cameras. That could be looking at live-streaming footage online or going down to the PD to buy a copy... whatever.
                    John Q. Citizen

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Comment

They work in England...

I was there about 10 years ago. While visiting Surrey, outside London, I saw the control room where they monitored the cameras that had been placed in the business district, which had been experiencing a significant number of thefts and robberies.

As I watched, the officer monotoring the video cameras spotted a man in a full-length, black trench coat. The man walked into a clothing store. The officer thought the coat was suspicious because it was 85 degrees out. He used his radio to contact the store (police provided two-way radios to the merchants as part of the program) to alert them. Store personnel kept a close eye on the man, who left within 30 seconds. The police officer continued to monitor the man's progress up the street.

I was told that crime was down 75% in that area of Surrey within six months of the cameras going up.

Comment

They're great if you have the personnel to watch them 24/7/365. However, they shouldn't be used to replace officers on the ground.
                        Originally posted by RSGSRT
                        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Good idea if used effectively. If you think it's an invasion of your privacy then just remember that you are filmed at least 50 times a day. Cameras are everywhere.
                          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who wish us harm." ---George Orwell

Comment

^^^^ and you're being filmed IN PUBLIC.
                            Originally posted by RSGSRT
                            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

We have hundreds of them here and they are worthless. In the 10 yrs or so that they've been in use here, I've never cleared a crime with them. They are always scanning, resolution is bad, and they are down a lot. Best I ever got was about a second of a murder victim, a block away, staggering into the street before he died.

The bad guys move aroundd the corner from the cameras, and all the arrests our place says were made by use of them are drinkers and people selling loose cigs on a corner.

It's like putting the "Protected by ..." sign on your lawn when you don't have an a alarm. It's a hype to the citizens, making them think that they are being protected by them, and a way for the politicians to curb the hiring of Police Officers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5691 users online. 318 members and 5373 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X