Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is better LED or Xenon Flashlight?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better LED or Xenon Flashlight?

I need some advice. I am looking at getting the new streamlight strion LED as a backup for my duty belt. I have the regeular gas filled xenon now. I have heard good and bad things about the LED lights. I have never owned an LED flashlight. Some say they are bright but others say they are useless if you are around water. Say a suspect jumps in the water and you are scanning the top of the water to find them, I was told the beam does not light up the water like a regular xenon bulb would. I was also told they lack the distance as well. I work around a lot of water and did not want to waste $100 if you know what I mean. Did not know if this was true but figured I would ask the guys who use these types everyday.

Look in the duty gear section.

Comment

I don't like LED. The distance is not more than like 5-10 feet in front of you. You cannot change the width of the beam. I prefer halogen/xenon.

My advice, if you're curious about LED, is to buy one that has both functions. I believe Streamlight makes some that can switch back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by CPDEMT View Post
        I don't like LED. The distance is not more than like 5-10 feet in front of you.
        Get one of the premium LED flashlights with a focusing optic over the LED (example: Surefire E2DL) and you'll be very surprised.

If you're one of those to whom price is no object and you believe you get what you pay for, go for the just released Surefire LX2. 200+ out-the-front lumens in a nice tight beam.
        Last edited by Till; 09-02-2009, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I have a pocket Fenix light that was modded with an aspheric lens instead of a reflector. It will throw a good 50-100 yds.

I have both in my kit bag.

Comment

The life of the Xenon bulb is rated at 30hours, the LED is 20,000. you do the math.

I owned a xenon for the last three years. Today I recieved my LED light. The LED rocks! It's waaayy brighter and has more distance. I'm very satisfied with it.

Comment

I have a Surefire Defender 6P. The bulbs are expensive, the batteries are expensive, and the flashlight alone is expensive...but I wouldnt trade it. The beam of light is extremely powerful and goes a very long ways. Its small and portable and comfortable to hold with or with out a gun. Best flashlight Ive ever owned!

BTW its Xenon...
              "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
              -Winston Churchill

Thanks for stopping me from doing a one man keg stand by myself, clad in only a towel. That probably wouldve ended badly...

Comment

I have a Fenix Tk10 and Tk11..... those suckers are bright and throw pretty damn far...

LEDs will scan the top of water perfectly... they're not going to shine through the water as much... so as long as they're not deep under water, you'll be fine.

Comment

Look no further.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m30-triton.html

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                    I have a Fenix Tk10 and Tk11..... those suckers are bright and throw pretty damn far...

LEDs will scan the top of water perfectly... they're not going to shine through the water as much... so as long as they're not deep under water, you'll be fine.
                    TK11 for the win! Man this thing is bright and small.

Originally posted by CPDEMT View Post
                    I don't like LED. The distance is not more than like 5-10 feet in front of you. You cannot change the width of the beam. I prefer halogen/xenon.

My advice, if you're curious about LED, is to buy one that has both functions. I believe Streamlight makes some that can switch back and forth.
                    I think your thinking of the target chepo LED's.

My Fenix TK11 is a LED and will throw like 150 yards.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9449 users online. 518 members and 8931 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X