300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the point??

I am getting ready to graduate from college with a B.S. in Administration Of Justice in May. I had originally planned to work for a local police department, state police or probation officer. Basically anything I could get I would take since jobs are hard to come by these days. A majority of these types of jobs require the applicant to take the civil service test. I am a college graduate, why should I have to take a test with some average person who does not have a degree. There is so much politics involed in various police agencies from the local level all the way up to the federal level. And don't tell me that politics is involed in just about all career fields, b/c to some extent it is, but in the criminal justice system it is ridiculous. The civil service test will not be given for about another year in my state and by then, there will be so many people taking the test and competing for the same jobs that chances of me landing a job are slim to none. You don't need a college degree to do this type of work. What was I thinking when I chose this as a major? How can anybody know what they want to do when going to college? Well at least I have a college degree and nobody can take that away from me but for now, I am off to bigger and better things than waiting around for a highly politicized police department to hire me. Besides, most of these departments pay so little considering I would be putting my life on the line for the public, that it is not worth it. This post was not meant to offend anyone, just giving my opinion. Being a cop is a very honorable job and I respect those who do it day in an day out to protect me. Guess I am just venting b/c graduation is a few days away and I finally find out this is not what I want to do with the rest of my life. Better sooner than latter. However, I plan on continuing my education in a fild that I am certain I will like b/c of classes I have taken in college.

quote:
    why should I have to take a test with some average person who does not have a degree
    If you don't want to be associated with "average" people, then don't bother-the psychological would thin you out anyway. Indeed, there are many “average” people on this board that you probably wouldn’t do not wish to be associated with.

Your degree does NOT automatically put you ahead of anyone else that would have to take the test with officers. Your writing of the rhetorical question on that subject smacks of arrogance.

You still have to prove yourself with those who are tasked with “doing”. Granted, it might be a few extra points with those who sit in offices and are tasked with “managing” the “doers”.

We have the "degree or no degree" debate here every few months. You can use the search function to find more topics on this area.

College is really in the eye of the beholder-some of the best cops I know are grads, and some of the absolute worst cops I know are grads.
    People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

What's he talking about Dave?

Comment

What does all this say about those of us that did the graduate school thing and after 19 years, still work patrol with "average" cops pushing a black and white taking "average" calls called in by "average" people on our "average" days?

In this job you eiher want it and you got it or you don't. I'm going to have to join the crowd that thinks on first impressions, you don't. Go find what your thing is and enjoy it. don't dwell on this. The fact that there are so many things for so many different kinds of people to do and enjoy is what makes this world a great place. Even for us "average" people.

Comment

You dont need to be smart to get a college degree.

'Nuff said.

Comment

With that attitude, you will have a hard time making it. I guess you expect to start out as a SGT or higher as well.

By the way, I noticed several grammatical errors in your post. Maybe you need to stay in another semester and retake freshman English.
            "Integrity is like virginity. Once it's lost, you can't get it back." --drunkhunter

Comment

A BS in Admin of Justice...

What marketing.

College has turned into such a racket over the past few decades.

Is there any place that still offers a "classical education" where they actually teach critical thinking instead of glorified vo-tech??? (Or as I call it 'pro-tech' - HA! I crack myself up!)

[ 05-01-2003, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Sparky ]
              -Sparky

Comment

A Physicist - I forget his name - said something to this effect..

quote:
                Physics is taught in a class room, but the real physics is taught in the real world.
                Royce is a Lady

Comment

I guess I'm one of those "average" people this........... person is referring to.

I don't have a college degree, although I did attend college for a while. (lost interest). The only thing having a degree would do for me, is give me another piece of paper to hang on a nail.

I have, however taken several Civil Service exams for a couple of different departments, and have yet to score lower than a 92. I also don't have military to boost my score, so it was a raw 92% against the curved scores.

I also passed my psych exam with no problems.

I have nearly 22 years as a Peace Officer, and have as many or more inservice training hours than the majority of our Officers that have degrees, be they Associates or Bachelors.

It's ........ people like this that make me glad I didn't finish college.

I have absolutely nothing against someone that has a college degree in this line of work. True, it's not necessary to have a degree.

I would much, much rather work with someon with a healthy dose of common sense than someone like the topic starter.

He/she/it would never make it on the street, with the attitude displayed here.

JMHO
                  Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

I'm not getting on your case here, but it seems to me that because you changed your mind on what you wanted as a career, you're now coming to a police forum, made up of 95% police officers and essentially saying that while other, less "educated" people are fit to put their lives on the line every day, you, an "educated" person are too good for such a menial job.

I guess I'm just wondering why you felt the need to even post this?

At any rate, I'm really glad that you've decided not to go into law enforcement. America thanks you.

Comment

quote:
                      A majority of these types of jobs require the applicant to take the civil service test. I am a college graduate, why should I have to take a test with some average person who does not have a degree.
                      Not every degree gives you the skills you need to do the job. The Civil Service test sees what skills you have.

quote:
                      There is so much politics involed in various police agencies from the local level all the way up to the federal level.
                      I'm not gonna argue with you on that one because it's true. However, as low guy you need to realize that you're nothing more than bait fish.

The other thing you have to remember is that the degree of politics vary from department to department. This gives you the chance to see which one fits you best.

quote:
                      but in the criminal justice system it is ridiculous
                      It's also because C.J. and LE Agencies are government agencies.

quote:
                      The civil service test will not be given for about another year in my state and by then, there will be so many people taking the test and competing for the same jobs that chances of me landing a job are slim to none.
                      Boy, there's that "rah, rah, rah" "go get 'em" spirit I like to see in new hires! Can I get a HELL YEAH!

Reality check there, Junior...it's called the job market. When I got hired with my first department in VA, there were over two thousand applicants. About a third of that was weeded out before the BG even came around. More were disqualified by the background. There were over 2,000 people fighting for 12 spots. I'm a 22 year old kid (21 is min. age for LEO's in VA)with no college but a clean background and the skills needed and I got hired.

Just because a heap of folks apply for a job doesn't mean that they're all qualified.

quote:
                      You don't need a college degree to do this type of work.
                      Oh, boy. Where do I start with this one.

In one sense, I agree with you. You may not need a college degree, but you need to have many more traits that you can never learn in college. Some of the dumbest people I've ever run into are college grads and some of the smartest are high school dropouts.

More in more in this world, it's becoming necessary to have a degree. Here's why:

Discipline. In college it's up to you to do YOUR homework and go to YOUR classes.

English. Sometimes high school level English won't cut it. Good God, the spelling and sentence structure I see from people who allegedly graduated high school! And those are the damn COPS!!!

Math. As Jimmy Buffett says, "Math SUKS", but it's needed. Try to go to THI school without any knowledge of higher math.

Public Speaking. It should go without saying.

Course specific classes. These will take you way beyond the classes they give in the academy.

If you plan on going farther than road grunt it's also needed. But, I think there are very necessary learned as a road grunt that are also needed.

I've said it before and I'll take it to my grave...

A college degree is one more thing to get shoved up your *** in a bar fight if you don't have the common sense to temper it with.

quote:
                      I am off to bigger and better things than waiting around for a highly politicized police department to hire me.
                      Man, I came *this* close to feeling sorry for you. Good, go do your bigger and better things and let those with heart and desire take the position that you would have taken for granted.

quote:
                      Besides, most of these departments pay so little considering I would be putting my life on the line for the public, that it is not worth it.
                      Yeah. Ya think we're doing this because of the possibility of retiring self made millionaires? The thing is we REALIZE this and we don't do it for the money. We do it for other reasons are different and personal to each of us. Money is very seldom mentioned in the top 10 reasons.

quote:
                      This post was not meant to offend anyone, just giving my opinion.
                      So, I hope you don't get offended by our opinions, either [Wink] .

quote:
                      Guess I am just venting b/c graduation is a few days away and I finally find out this is not what I want to do with the rest of my life.
                      At least you realized that before it was too late and didn't do something on impulse.

This is a very demanding job. Sometimes physically, but most times mentally and emotionally. It's not for everyone and those that don't want and don't deserve to be on are a danger to the rest of us.

Comment

That was a might big can of Whoop-***(tm)

Can I just point out that I have the aformentioned tests scheduled for Wednesday and the following Monday... Does that make you a better person than me?

[ 05-01-2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: J-WS6 ]

Comment

I just love college educated folks who think that immediately qualifies them to be a cop.
                          RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

quote:
                            So, I hope you don't get offended by our opinions, either .

Nope, not really offended by any of my own comments or the comments of others thus far in the post. I just don't think many of you read my post all the way through. Am I wrong in assuming that? I don't think so. Many of you saw what you wanted to see and hear in that post. Quite frankly, many of you seem narrow minded who did post here. But at the same time, I can see where you guys are coming from. I think you are passing judgement on me without even knowing me. Saying things like I will never make it and I don't have what it takes to be in the line of work many of you are involved in. I am a hard and dependable worker. I have paid for my education with my own money. I am quite certain I will be succesful in whatever field I choose to go into, including becoming a police officer if I were to go that direction. I am not saying that I am better than someone who does not have a college degree, but I am in a better position than someone who is my age looking for a job just like me who has a H.S. diploma or GED. I think many of you will admit that a majority a people who join police forces are young and pretty much did not know what they wanted to do with their lives. That was me when I first started college but college has given me direction. I know most of you could careless, so I say don't bother replying. This is a public forum for anybody to use so I decided to given my views and opinions since I am getting ready to enter the work world in a few short weeks. Try to read my post a little more carefully instead of looking at it superficially. I realize that I may have offended many of you because this is the career you work in and that is great, more power to you. We need people like you out there protecting us and putting your life on the line each day.

Comment

quote:
                              I think many of you will admit that a majority a people who join police forces are young and pretty much did not know what they wanted to do with their lives.
                              I hired on 2 months after my 21st birthday. I have worked for the same department for over 22 years. I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

Are there people who get into law enforcement who don't know what they want to do with their lives? Yes, there are. However, the hiring process weeds out most of these people. The hiring process is very demanding and takes a lot of dedication to get through, espicially for a job that is not really financially rewarding.
                              RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6012 users online. 347 members and 5665 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X