300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is DWI a "Real Arrest"

Interesting article on the topic in light of the 8 deaths in NY state last month.

http://www.njlawman.com/Editorials/dwirealarrest.htm
    In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity.
    -Winston Churchill

Originally posted by Labrock View Post
    Interesting article on the topic in light of the 8 deaths in NY state last month.

http://www.njlawman.com/Editorials/dwirealarrest.htm
    I don't know of any officer who things it's not a real arrest or considers it petty.

Is that uncommon at other departments?

Comment

article is unavailable....

DWI arrests, especially in certain areas are not only uncommon, but can be considered quite petty when you're dealing with violent felonies on a regular basis....

Comment

It is an arrest for me. Is it a trip to jail...only taken a handful of people on it.

Comment

I know quite a few that do not like dealing with DUI arrests. They are lengthy and require a lot of paperwork and possible court time. Problem is, DUI-related crashes account for almost as many deaths as all homicides that occur in the U.S.

Alcohol-related traffic deaths 2007 - 13,000

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811016.PDF

Murder & nonnegligent manslaughter in US 2007 - 15,707

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_12.html

Those that still look at DUI/DWI/OWI (whatever it's called in your area) as a "petty" offense are kidding themselves. Although the number of homicides is slightly larger, the financial cost of DUI-related crashes (whether fatal or any injury) is significantly larger.

I do not "cut loose" DUI offenders. It is hard enough to get a conviction because it's likely that half the jurors sitting in the box still do it on a monthly basis and immediately feel sympathy for the offender. Seems that the public rarely wants to do anything about it until something like the NY incident occurs where eight people had to die to get some attention.
          I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by amw315 View Post

DWI arrests, especially in certain areas are not only uncommon, but can be considered quite petty when you're dealing with violent felonies on a regular basis....
            I worked in South L.A. for many years - I saw more people killed in DUI related collisions than all the gang violence and domestic violence put together. I've been hit by drunk drivers 3 times. My best friend was killed by one. Those that consider it pettey have a rather limited view on public safety, IMHO. That and about 1/4 to 1/3 of the folks I take to jail for DUI have drugs or weapons on them, some are parolees... It does take longer to wade through the paperwork than a gand shooting, but that's just an excuse for the lazy to get out of a "petty crime" - again, just my 2 cents.

At the very least, take the keys and toss them in a storm drain. I resonded to a fatal several years ago and the guy had a seatbelt ticket in his pocket that another neighboring jurisdiction had given him. His post-mortom tox was .31% BAC... Don't let that be you.
            LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

Originally posted by andy5746 View Post
              I worked in South L.A. for many years - I saw more people killed in DUI related collisions than all the gang violence and domestic violence put together. I've been hit by drunk drivers 3 times. My best friend was killed by one. Those that consider it pettey have a rather limited view on public safety, IMHO. That and about 1/4 to 1/3 of the folks I take to jail for DUI have drugs or weapons on them, some are parolees... It does take longer to wade through the paperwork than a gand shooting, but that's just an excuse for the lazy to get out of a "petty crime" - again, just my 2 cents.

At the very least, take the keys and toss them in a storm drain. I resonded to a fatal several years ago and the guy had a seatbelt ticket in his pocket that another neighboring jurisdiction had given him. His post-mortom tox was .31% BAC... Don't let that be you.

+1 100%

Comment

For all the hours of paperwork, it better be a real arrest!

Comment

Originally posted by amw315 View Post

What the hell part of MO are you from....???

Third DUI is a felony.....and if a suspect gets a second within ten years the suspect is now a persistant offender and the charge goes up to a Class A Mis......

In Northern MO....we take DUIs very seriously.....

Comment

DWI arrest in NY is for real. There are two possible A Misdemeanor charges for Dwi. First is statutorily where evidence of BAC over .08 is required for conviction. Second is for common law DWI where training and experience of arresting officer can lead to conviction after refusal of breath test. NY, especially downstate area, does not treat DWI lightly.

Comment

I don't make them post bond to get out. They leave the jail with a citation and get picked up by some "responsible person." I keep their driver's license, and the violator shows up for court within two weeks for plea or gets a warrant. The fourth offense is where imprisonment becomes an issue.

Comment

I hooked a guy last night (yes, I'm still a sgt) for DUI. On the way to jail he said he finishes his AA classes from his last DUI this coming Tuesday (tomorrow).....this was his 3rd arrest in 1 year for DUI. He blew a .19 an hour after the original stop. He got my attention by almost wrecking while just driving. All the paperwork took just under 2 1/2 hours to complete and I was back in the field. Yup, it was worth it. I'd do it again tonight.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by Smurfette
                        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                        Originally posted by DAL
                        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I know guys who don't want to screw with one, but I don't know anyone who's said a DUI is a chickenpoo arrest.

To me this argument sounds a lot like, "Is water really wet?" Who's arguing its not?
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Personally I think the DWI laws here in NY are a joke. You hook them, and within an hour or so they're home. Its an arrest here, but you dont get credit for an arrest, just a DWI.
                            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

reils49....Not sure what part of NY you're in, but down here in NYC and on LI, a collar for DWI usually spends at least overnight in, until his/her arraignment which could take place about 24 hours later. No station house bail.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2456 users online. 157 members and 2299 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X