300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighborhood Watch Programs

My chief had the bright idea to assign me the task of helping neighborhoods in our city start neighborhood watch programs since I am a new Instructor. I have found some information on the internet, but I was wondering if any of you are familiar with these programs and where I can get information or possibly even lesson plans on these programs. I look forward to doing it, but I have never been involved so i don't know much about it. I want to be able to do a good job on this assignment. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    B.Perkins
    Protect yourself and your family in all legal situations!

I would strongly suggest contacting these folks.

They provide training in Community Oriented Policing, Neighborhood Watch, etc.

They are a pretty good resource for information and training.

Good luck
    Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

try contacting the National Crime Prevention Council http://www.ncpc.org/neigh.htm

or try contacting other agencies in your area or region that have neighborhood watch groups and pick their brains a little.
      I'll post, You argue.

Comment

Every neighborhood watch program we started ended up a dismal failure. The interest from the community was always high at the beginning, and then slowly faded to nothing.

Retired
        Retired

Comment

You could always try staging a robbery every few weeks to keep interest high

Comment

That's what happens around here. Most of the time attendence is low until someone gets murdered then it jumps but it's to late. It depends what part of the city you are in also. Some parts it works great.
            Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

Retired hit the nail on the head, I have never seen it happen any other way.

Retired check your pm's please.

Comment

Agreed. Neighborhood Watch is a total waste. At first, everyone calls 911 when they see anyone with skin darker than a light suntan walk down the street (yes, folks here in our tolerant town are just a bit racist). After a month, they wouldn't call if the Manson family was committing a 187 on their front porch. And crooks aren't deterred in the least by those orange signs.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: ateamer ]
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

i think the "watch" programs are only as good as those that are running them. i've spoken with many watch groups who say that have good turnouts and responses to the meetings because they emphasize the purpose of the group and how they need everyone to be involved in order for it to work. if you sit on your butt all day just lookin' out the window for a bad guy and do nothing to generate involvement or interest with the group then of course if will be a flop.

maybe if more watch groups would be up and running and get involved then maybe the "prevention" part of crime prevention might work. the police can't be everywhere and do everything. it takes police and citizens alike to make a difference in a community. if you don't do your part, then don't complain that the police "aren't doing their job".

in the same respect, the police can't
                  pooh-pooh watch groups and community policing programs and then bitch because citizens aren't getting involved in neighborhood or community activities.
                  I'll post, You argue.

Comment

We've got some strong programs & some weak ones. It depends on who is involved in the neighborhood & who is involved in the Department. If you are a real go-getter, you'd better have a neighborhood citizen involved that is the same.

Comment

nickg,

I'm happy you are successful, but we tried for more years than I can count, and no matter what we did, it never worked. We tried every way there was to keep the interest up, and the citizens involved, but the results were the same every time. I can only guess that from your experience, we missed something!

Retired
                      Retired

Comment

Originally posted by retired:
                        nickg,

I can only guess that from your experience, we missed something!

Retired
                        Perhaps a "BINGO" night along with the meetings? And no, for once I am NOT being a smart ***. It's just an idea, to catch folks interest.

I've never worked an area with a neighborhood watch, but I can just imagine the exponential increase of the
                        6P1 (retired)

Comment

Thanks for all of the input. I have heard that these programs suck...even from the chief himself. He is mainly doing it due to several requests from some of our senior citizens. I suggested that he allow me to just do some community crime awareness classes at the P.D. classroom on a montly basis, but he did not ike that. Oh well, he's the chief!!
                          B.Perkins
                          Protect yourself and your family in all legal situations!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4606 users online. 301 members and 4305 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X