300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tech for hot pursuits?

Watching the news today was sad seeing children killed in a crash that could have been prevented. This pursuit is likely to bring on new calls to stop pursuits, but what message would that send criminals? Green light??? Sure! So it seems we have to figure out something better than the pitt to take someone out.

Any ideas for better tech?
    Last edited by Sgt York; 08-10-2009, 06:03 PM.
    Thank you to all of you who serve as men and women in law enforcement - we sleep better at night because of your dedication to duty!

Instead of a grader:

How about a harpoon in the form a flexible magnetic patch that adhere's to any metal part of a vehicle, and sends a very high blast of electrical current that lasts just long enough to destroy the vehicle PCM but not long enough to kill or injure the occupants.

This unit could be deployed through the front end of a cruiser and attach to any part of the suspect vehicle, send an electric charge immediately then disconnect from the vehicle and reel back into the cruiser, or remain attached to the vehicle and safely remain to act as a brake until the vehicle stops.
    Thank you to all of you who serve as men and women in law enforcement - we sleep better at night because of your dedication to duty!

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
      The technology has existed for years that would enable police to disable the engine of the vehicle that was fleeing. Guess what..the ACLU objected. It is the homegrown terrorists that are killing our civilians, not us.
      F the ACLU
      It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

What does ACLU stand for anyway. Isn't it Anti Cops & Lawyers (meaning Prosecutors)Union?

Comment

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

The technology to stop a car without injuring people exists, and it doesn't have to be installed in the car (unlike On-Star, which I will NEVER EVER own). It sends an electro-magnetic pulse that fries out the car's electronics, stopping it without hurting anyone inside. Problem is, it's expensive, and they have to perfect making it shut down the bad-guy car without taking out other cars around it (including the LEO's cruiser), which would make things more dangerous. Give it a few years and I suspect it will be tested on the streets. Until then, I don't see the situation getting any easier for LEOs.
            If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Comment

the problem with shutting off an engine while the vehicle is moving is that the steering and braking systems are adversely affected. If you can kill the transmission or rear gears while not disabling the engine, that would be the sweet spot. I heard that some vehicle manufacturers will be installing something in their drive trains to enable such a pursuit intervention system. The problem with those is that they can almost always be overcome relatively easily.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Smurfette
              Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
              Originally posted by DAL
              You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
                the problem with shutting off an engine while the vehicle is moving is that the steering and braking systems are adversely affected. If you can kill the transmission or rear gears while not disabling the engine, that would be the sweet spot. I heard that some vehicle manufacturers will be installing something in their drive trains to enable such a pursuit intervention system. The problem with those is that they can almost always be overcome relatively easily.
                Yea, if they rig their own car to be used in a crime they could overcome the system. But if it is just a random car theft then more than likely the car's owner wouldn't have tried to bypass it and it would work.
                yeah!

Comment

It would work IF we caught them before they could have a chance to bypass the system. I think it's a GREAT idea, and would work as intended most of the time. As the old saying goes, "If it would prevent just 1 life being lost, it would be worth the cost."
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by DAL

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
                    The technology has existed for years that would enable police to disable the engine of the vehicle that was fleeing. Guess what..the ACLU objected. It is the homegrown terrorists that are killing our civilians, not us.
                    You mean a shotgun?

Comment

I saw on Futureweapons, a net that works kinda like spikes. The difference is the net wraps around the front wheels and locks them up. The car stops in its tracks.

I thought of one a few years ago. How about a sky crane with an electro magnet. It drops the magnet on top of the car and takes off. Now you got this car dangling under a helicopter. The pilot can then let him down in a caged area at the station, or my favorite, drop him off in the nearest lake or ocean.
                      God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

It's a popup barrier if you need to stop something on the highway and the ACLU wont be in the way, stick it on a trailer.. put it on the road.. you'll have a surefire stop method.. or go for a couple more feet. Contact me if your department is interested, I've already got a model as to how it'd work. They have them in the ground at various places in Washington D.C. they popup at a moments notice and can stop a truck.
                        Last edited by Taylor13; 08-10-2009, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Looks like that truck was going faster than the posted 5 MPH....
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by DAL

Comment

Run from the police =DEADLY FORCE

That would stop them from starting, or end them when they start

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                              You mean a shotgun?
                              beat me to it

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3127 users online. 164 members and 2963 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X