300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just dealt with my 1st dead body

ok, maybe not dealt, but 1st exposure to a dead body... what a scene...

Watching TV here, and I heard a big BOOM, so I ran out....

2 ppl were flung out of their car (ran a red light)

the Lancer looked like was heading west while the audi was heading south, and lancer had a good amount of speed, because it carried the audi about 60 feet into a light pole.

I ran to the lancer, and asked the guy if he was alright... nothing

I didn't wanna move him at all, so I put my hand around to check for pulse. nothing... but he was still pretty warm. then checked for breathing. nothing... I figured he was dead. then the first responders came, and the paramedic put up 7 fingers, which I figured was 'signal 7' for dead body. then they covered him up in tarp...

stomach turned for a bit, but pretty much gone in 10 mins

I guess I just wanted to share my 1st dead body experience here...

ETA - The story, Head-on collision in Boca Raton near FAU kills one man; two injured remained 'serious' Sunday
    Last edited by eyildiz; 08-02-2009, 07:56 PM.

I hope you are okay

Reading your post Im nor sure if you aresad or excited. Either way it will get easier. Seeing a body after suffering a violent death be it at the hands of man or machine is like wow. Sometimes we feel like if I had arrived a few minutes earlier if I woke up at did xyz. coulda, shoulda, woulda. Dont internalize just be guided in your innermost thoughts that when you became aware of the incident you did what was required of you to do, and you killed no, hurt no one, nor caused the pain of anyone. You cant save the world, you can onl y make your presence felt everyday to step out in blue.

Comment

Originally posted by twista View Post
      Reading your post Im nor sure if you aresad or excited. Either way it will get easier. Seeing a body after suffering a violent death be it at the hands of man or machine is like wow. Sometimes we feel like if I had arrived a few minutes earlier if I woke up at did xyz. coulda, shoulda, woulda. Dont internalize just be guided in your innermost thoughts that when you became aware of the incident you did what was required of you to do, and you killed no, hurt no one, nor caused the pain of anyone. You cant save the world, you can onl y make your presence felt everyday to step out in blue.
      of course not excited. I had my stomach turn upside down.

I didn't want to touch the body any further to hinder an investigation, but something kept telling me to help him, although it looked like death was from head injuries, so I don't think I could have done anything.

I'd like to also mention I'm a civilian. not LEO

Comment

LOL....yea, your first dozen or two can be kinda weird... after about 100 you don't even think about it anymore....

My first 6 months of training I had about 80 at least. Since then I lost track.
        http://www.truepolicestories.net - my website of all my stories as a police officer. Please read it and become a member!

Comment

I hope you washed your hands after touching that dead body!

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I had a similar experience awhile back. Neighbor's daughter came to the door screaming that her mom was dead. I grabbed a neighbor and we went to the house. Dad was panicking and mom's personal nurse was doing CPR in her bed. We moved her to the floor and performed CPR there (I was the pulse checker, nurse did the chest, neighbor did the mouth-to-mouth), but we couldn't get anything. Paramedics showed up and worked for 10 minutes. Got her heart going, but it was too late. THey removed her from life support two weeks later.

Apparently, this woman who had just recovered from ovarian cancer, had overdosed.

Sorry you had to see that, but it does wear off. Or at least it did for me. You did the right thing and probably couldn't have saved him.
            If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Comment

Originally posted by On The View Post
              of course, went to the paramedics and they gave me some foamy hand sanitizer thingy, then washed it with a brush when I got home.

Originally posted by ISPY4U2 View Post
              Sorry to hear that. I had a similar experience awhile back. Neighbor's daughter came to the door screaming that her mom was dead. I grabbed a neighbor and we went to the house. Dad was panicking and mom's personal nurse was doing CPR in her bed. We moved her to the floor and performed CPR there (I was the pulse checker, nurse did the chest, neighbor did the mouth-to-mouth), but we couldn't get anything. Paramedics showed up and worked for 10 minutes. Got her heart going, but it was too late. THey removed her from life support two weeks later.

Apparently, this woman who had just recovered from ovarian cancer, had overdosed.

Sorry you had to see that, but it does wear off. Or at least it did for me. You did the right thing and probably couldn't have saved him.
              Yeah I did what I could... I posted this right after the incident. It's prety much worn off now... Just the holy crap factor.

Comment

I remember (when I was maybe 19 or 20) being the first to arrive at a bad car crash. A car with four teenagers crashed into some small trees and went down an embankment. Two got out okay with minor injuries, one was mangled but survived and the fourth died in front of me.

Nothing I could do but try to talk with him as he passed away. It haunted me for a short time, but soon went to the back of my memory. As a deputy sheriff, I thought about that kid way back when every time I encountered someone who was recently deceased.

The weirdest ones are suicides, though.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I, like others, have had way more than my share of DB's over the years.

Pray that you never have to walk up on a scene and realize that the victim is a family member, especially one of your own kids.

Years ago, a good friend of mine was dispatched to a head-on crash, and he was the first to arrive. When he walked up to one of the cars, he immediately recognized his teen-age son behind the wheel, and he was very obviously deceased. He lost it right there, and just turned and started walking away. Left his car and everything, just started walking away from the scene.

He never recovered from it. Got out of LE shortly after.

Definitely a bad day for anyone.

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
                  "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

Originally posted by cajunguy View Post
                    I, like others, have had way more than my share of DB's over the years.

Pray that you never have to walk up on a scene and realize that the victim is a family member, especially one of your own kids.

Years ago, a good friend of mine was dispatched to a head-on crash, and he was the first to arrive. When he walked up to one of the cars, he immediately recognized his teen-age son behind the wheel, and he was very obviously deceased. He lost it right there, and just turned and started walking away. Left his car and everything, just started walking away from the scene.

He never recovered from it. Got out of LE shortly after.

Definitely a bad day for anyone.

wow, yeah... I think it can't get much worse than that...

Comment

here is the story...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/...bocacrash.html

Comment

at least you didn't have to see this one. Young kids too.......a shame.

NY police: Wrong-way crash driver was drunk, high

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. – A mother drank vodka and smoked marijuana while taking a vanload of children home from a weekend camping trip that ended in disaster when she went the wrong way on a highway and crashed into an SUV, killing eight people, police said Tuesday.

Diane Schuler, who died along with her 2-year-old daughter and three nieces in her red minivan, had more than 10 drinks of alcohol in her system and a high level of the main ingredient in marijuana, authorities said. A broken 1.75-liter bottle of Absolut vodka was found in her wrecked minivan, police said.

The revelations from the 36-year-old Long Island woman's autopsy helped explain how the woman her family called "an accomplished working mother who always put her children before any other priorities" wound up driving the wrong way for nearly two miles on a suburban parkway before slamming into the SUV.

The July 26 crash on the Taconic State Parkway, about 35 miles northwest of New York City, also killed three men in the SUV. Schuler's 5-year-old son, in her minivan, survived.

Investigators said Schuler had been driving erratically on other upstate roads before getting on the highway for the 140-mile trip home.

Schuler's blood-alcohol level was well above the legal limit, and she still had undigested alcohol in her stomach, State Police Maj. William Carey said Tuesday.

Blood tests also showed she had smoked marijuana 15 minutes to an hour before the crash, said Betsy Spratt, chief toxicologist for the Westchester County medical examiner.

"With that level of alcohol ... she would have had difficulty with perception, with her judgment, with her memory," Spratt said. "You start to get what we call tunnel vision."

Police said no criminal charges were planned in the case.

Roseann Guzzo, whose father and brother were killed in the SUV, said Tuesday her family wanted to meet with prosecutors to discuss the case.

"We're outraged by it," she said. "It's a choice she made. And that choice she made to us is like she committed murder."

State police have been investigating why Schuler, who was a regular upstate campground visitor, would have been driving toward her home the wrong way on a highway she had driven many times before.

Toxicology reports found the businesswoman's blood-alcohol level was 0.19, more than twice the state's legal limit of 0.08, Carey said. She also had 6 grams of undigested alcohol in her stomach, Carey said.

Schuler's husband, Daniel, told investigators that everything seemed fine when he and his wife left the Sullivan County campground at about 9:30 a.m. on the morning of the crash. He went on a fishing trip while his wife headed home with the children, stopping at a McDonald's on the way, police said.

Her brother, the father of the three girls who died, said she called him about a half-hour before the wreck sounding disoriented and saying she didn't feel well. Schuler's 8-year-old niece also spoke briefly with her father from the highway. The woman's cell phone was later found abandoned at a rest stop.

Witnesses said they saw Schuler's minivan straddling two lanes and tailgating, with its headlights flashing and horn beeping.

Others saw the vehicle veering from one lane to another, and one witness said it appeared as if she was attempting to pass him on the shoulder of the highway. Another witness said the van drove across a grass divider at a service area.

Six drivers called 911 before the collision, which happened after Schuler drove 1.7 miles south in the parkway's northbound lane.

An attorney who served as a family spokesman at funerals last week did not immediately return a telephone message left by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Floral Park village police blocked access to the home of Schuler's brother and said no one was there to comment. There was no answer when a reporter knocked on the door of the Schuler family home in West Babylon.

Neither Schuler's husband nor extended family has spoken with reporters about the crash. The families issued a statement last week calling Schuler "a devoted mother to her children, Bryan and Erin."

"She was a constant, doting presence in her nieces' lives, and our extended family admired her competence, ease with children and sense of humor," it said. "Never has there been a more responsible and trusted friend or caregiver."
                        sigpic

I'm the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?

Servicing what feels like one giant Mental Hospital......... going on 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by On The View Post
                          Try putting your lips on one. CPR does not always (if ever) work. At least for me.
                          "Nuts" ---Lieutenant General Harry Kinnard

Comment

Originally posted by cajunguy View Post

I agree, my southern brother. My family is all NYPD. In 1991, my great uncle (WWII wounded vet) was shot in the back during a mugging whil walking home in Brooklyn. My uncle (Now a Detective) was on patrol at the time, and responded to the scene. He was the first officer on scene, only to find his own uncle lying on the sidewalk.

Big city. Small world.
                            "Nuts" ---Lieutenant General Harry Kinnard

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf Po Po View Post
                              Try putting your lips on one. CPR does not always (if ever) work. At least for me.
                              Yeah, I can't remember the statistics off the top of my head, but the survival rate after CPR is very low.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5348 users online. 380 members and 4968 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X